Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cruel Irony

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Cruel Irony
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
Cruel Irony: Alabama football success detracting from tornado coverage

AP -- Rosabella Rodriguez remembers the afternoon of April 27 vividly.  She was sitting in her home in Stewartville, a small community in Coosa County, watching in horror as ABC3340 weatherman James Spann broadcast images of a massive tornado cutting a swath through the city of Tuscaloosa. 

"It was terrible," Rodriguez says now as she sips tea from the front porch of her modest home.  "I never saw anything like that.  Everything was being blown apart and it even went right by the mall.  They said a BBQ place and a donut store got demolished.  I saw that on the news."

The tornado destroyed thousands of homes, leaving many Tuscaloosa residents without shelter and is credited with taking more than 50 lives.

"Just awful," Rodriguez says.

For weeks after the event Rodriguez, like many across the state and nation, was riveted by the stories of heartbreak and triumph that poured out of Tuscaloosa.  She was touched by the outpouring of support that flooded in from around the country and saddened by the many scenes of devastation she saw on blogs and news sites.

"I watched probably 50 different tornado videos," Rodriguez says.  "I bet I looked at 2000 pictures, too.  When they came by looking for donations I gave some canned food and some old clothes.  I wanted to do my part to help." 

But now, less than six months after the horrific event, Rodriguez says the tornadoes are almost forgotten.  She says they've been dwarfed by Alabama football mania.  She says she speaks for many when she says the priorities are mixed up. 

"Every day I turn on the TV and all I hear is Nick Saban.  Nick Saban, Nick Saban," Rodriguez says. "It's Alabama football this. Crimson Tide that.  There's a cleanup and rebuilding effort going on in that town and when I think of all the good 90,000 people could do in four hours if they came there to work instead of drive by to go sit in a football field it just makes me sick. 

"Folks are more concerned with why some stupid screen pass got stopped than they are with all those houses in Tuscaloosa that don't have screens. I think they need to check themselves."

Reminded that football is almost a second religion in the state of Alabama and that former Tide coach Bear Bryant is considered by some to be a deity in those parts, Rodriguez is asked if perhaps the football games themselves are a part of the healing process.  They show that Tuscaloosa is still alive and vital and that even the force of a tornado can't bring it down. 

"Where was Bear Bryant when that tornado was tearing up all those houses?" Rodriguez fumes.  "I heard somebody say Bryant 'pushed it away from the stadium.'  That's the stupidest thing I ever heard.  I think it shows that priorities are all messed up.  What's important over there?"

Rodriguez says she is no fan of the Tide, nor does she support the Auburn Tigers, UAB Blazers, Troy Trojans or any other football program in the state.

"I like baseball," Rodriguez says.  "The Yankees and Derek Jeter and A-Rod are my favorites." 

When reminded that baseball went on in New York not long after the 9-11 attacks, Rodriguez dismisses it. 

"That's different," she says.  "Baseball is the American pastime.  It's important." 

Alabama hosts Vanderbilt on Saturday night in Tuscaloosa.  They'll play football, not build houses. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Cruel Irony
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
*snicker*
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »
Shouldn't Ms Rodriguez be on a bus to Mississippi right now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
Shouldn't Ms Rodriguez be on a bus to Mississippi right now?

She's just waiting to see what Obama does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »
"Where was Bear Bryant when that tornado was tearing up all those houses?" Rodriguez fumes.  "I heard somebody say Bryant 'pushed it away from the stadium.'
:muttley:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »
Revenge of Bear Cloud...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
The baseball/9-11 comment at the end sort of takes all the air out Rodriquez' little rant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »
Of course she likes baseball - all of them do - probably would prefer them to play futbol too

:sarcasm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »
The baseball/9-11 comment at the end sort of takes all the air out Rodriquez' little rant.

Yep. 

I have a feeling the writer knew what he or she was doing with this article.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
Shouldn’t there also be sympathy for the tornado?  I mean it’s the one that had to gobble up all that refuse and garbage.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:18:45 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
Shouldn’t there also be sympathy for the tornado?  I mean it’s the one that had to gobble up all that refuse and garage.
Zing! Careful though, Shane's Capstone Report has you on notice and will be sending it to Finebaum to link on his twitter immediately.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 05:47:47 PM »
"Alabammer foosball is tha debil." - Rosabella Rodriguez

Actually, "El jugador de futbul Alabammer es la diablo." - Rosabella Rodriguez

And she's 100% correct. The manner in which updyke academy has hijacked the tornado outbreak is sickening. Many communities suffered far greater devastation and were completely forgotten, simply because God decided to take aim at that idol worshipping shithole town.

Fuck tuscaloosa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »

And she's 100% correct. The manner in which updyke academy has hijacked the tornado outbreak is sickening. Many communities suffered far greater devastation and were completely forgotten, simply because God decided to take aim at that idol worshipping shithole town.

Fuck tuscaloosa.

Soooo..you're saying there are cities you like better?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »
Soooo..you're saying there are cities you like better?
I'm pretty fond of Concord. It was named after Sir Lancelot's squire in "Monty Python & the Holy Grail".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »

Fuck tuscaloosa.

This the only white man that make me moist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
I'm pretty fond of Concord. It was named after Sir Lancelot's squire in "Monty Python & the Holy Grail".
Actually, Rosabella's conquistador ancestors named that town - its name means "with cord"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »

Fuck tuscaloosa.
^This^

Fuck Tuscaloosa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs