Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Alabama Immigration Law

Token

Re: Alabama Immigration Law
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
:blink:

There's no doubt that we've been handling it incorrectly for decades, and many of the current attempts to solve the problem are a bit overzealous, as you have indicated.  We need to stop it somehow.  Cutting off the local and federal government giveaway programs would be a nice start...  Enforcing e-Verify programs would be curb illegal employment...  There's no single solution to completely resolve this overnight, but we can take measures to address this without imposing too much burden on local law enforcement or anyone else for that matter.

I agree, but it's going to take people who are serious about fixing the problem, not someone who is trying to further their political career by appealing to the ignorant.  Unfortunately, I don't see enough people in the right places to make a difference.  I'm not sure we ever will. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
Seriously though, this shit is going to put a major strain on local courts.  Although we have 287g in our county (And I think we are one of the few) if they are arrested, they must clear up any and all district court issues before ICE can take custody.  Jails across the state could be beyond capacity in only a few days. 

So I wonder.  Do we want our jails full of people who are here illegally, or do we want them full of people who are using/selling drugs and burglarizing residences? 

I hate this law.

Blame the people who broke the law then. Not a state for enforcing it. Just saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »
Birmingham Municipal Court, District Court, and Circuit Court don't have enough employees to properly function.  This should work out great...

Also, the Constitution provides rights to protected classes, two of which are race and national origin...but whatevs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
Birmingham Municipal Court, District Court, and Circuit Court don't have enough employees to properly function.  This should work out great...

Also, the Constitution provides rights to protected classes, two of which are race and national origin...but whatevs. 

Heavens to Murgatroyd...  I mean, how dare we verify citizenship for anyone applying for a job, school, welfare benefits, food stamps, etc...  I don't believe the local government should be required to detain anyone who fails to provide proof, but I see nothing wrong with notifying ICE. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Token

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
Blame the people who broke the law then. Not a state for enforcing it. Just saying.

I'm not a Hispanic hugger by any means.  But I'm less of an advocate for poorly thought out laws in the name of appealing to the masses. 

This shit is going to end up like the Immigration Customs Enforcement.  We will end up having a Federal level, ICE, and we will create a new state level, because local agencies will not have near the manpower.   I can assure you, the last thing we need to throw at this problem is more government.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
I'm not a Hispanic hugger by any means.  But I'm less of an advocate for poorly thought out laws in the name of appealing to the masses. 

This shit is going to end up like the Immigration Customs Enforcement.  We will end up having a Federal level, ICE, and we will create a new state level, because local agencies will not have near the manpower.   I can assure you, the last thing we need to throw at this problem is more government.

I can agree with that.  The government is only going to screw this up.

The real problem is the people.  The people who hire illegals instead of American citizens.  The people who cater to illegals instead of demanding they apply for citizenship or work visa. 

But the dollar in the short term always defeats the nation in the long term. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »

The real problem is the people.  The people who hire illegals instead of American citizens.  The people who cater to illegals instead of demanding they apply for citizenship or work visa. 

Hold on there...  The government actually created that problem too.  Most companies do not knowingly hire illegal aliens.  Even if they do suspect that a potential employee may be providing false information, they have no authority to take any action.  Here in Georgia, our new immigration bill enforces e-Verify which validates a person's eligibility to work.  If that person fails the e-Verify check, the employer cannot hire them.  The rhetoric floating around out there about companies recruiting illegals is far from the truth. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »

Ummm, the gov't has already screwed up. That's why we are in this mess. They never took this problem seriously until it got out of hand. They allowed the "magnet" to exist that you speak of. The magnet being anything that attracts the illegals over here. That is the part we need to enforce. If we cut them off at that spot, many will move back home voluntarily.

"Government is not the answer to the problem. Government IS the problem." - RR

Perfect example of this here. The question you have to ask is, do you really trust the same person to fix it, that broke it in the first place? Person being the Federal Gov't. At least the states are TRYING to be proactive to some degree, even if it's not perfect. The law itself will be a deterent for many of them without 1 man hour's worth of work on our side. But until other states put up a deterent like this, the illegals will just take sanctuary in another state (like Mass.).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:20:13 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »
Heavens to Murgatroyd...  I mean, how dare we verify citizenship for anyone applying for a job, school, welfare benefits, food stamps, etc...  I don't believe the local government should be required to detain anyone who fails to provide proof, but I see nothing wrong with notifying ICE.

Detain. 

Schools are bankrupt.  County, city, state and federal governments are bankrupt.  Free salad days are over, Esse. 

Quit paying for illegals and a lot of that gets fixed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Token

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20110930/NEWS/110939988/1016/NEWS?Title=Etowah-County-makes-first-charge-in-state-for-immigration-law-violation

Etowah County makes first charge in state for immigration law violation
Man arrested is from Yemen

By Lisa Rogers

The first arrest for a violation of Alabama’s new immigration law has been made in Etowah County. The man is from Yemen and was arrested during a drug raid early Friday at a house on Madison Avenue, Sheriff Todd Entrekin said.

Mohamed Ali Muflahi, 24, was taken into custody for obstructing a government operation during the raid, Entrekin said.

Two other men also were arrested during the raid. One man said he was born in Yemen, but he has been granted U.S. citizenship and he had documentation. The other man also is from Yemen and had proper documentation to be in the U.S. on a work visa.

Their immigration status was checked once the men were taken to the Etowah County jail. Muflahi did not have documentation and also is charged with violation of the immigration law, a misdemeanor, Entrekin said.

“To my knowledge, this is the first immigration violation arrest that has been made in Etowah County,” Entrekin said.

Entrekin said the immigration law does not allow officers to check someone’s status unless he or she first is arrested on some other charge. He said anyone who does not have documentation, such as a driver’s license, to verify citizenship status can be arrested, regardless of how he or she looks or talks.

“The focus of this law has been just on Hispanics,” Entrekin said, “but this arrest just shows there are a lot of nationalities within our communities that could be here illegally, not just Hispanics.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
I will say this:

There better be at least one white or black dude checked for immigration status.  It should be applied to all people no matter their color. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
I will say this:

There better be at least one white or black dude checked for immigration status.  It should be applied to all people no matter their color.

The way this law is set up, it will discourage officers from attempting to enforce the law.  Lot of behind the scenes stuff right now. 

Judge threw out the clause that allows citizens to file suits against agencies who don't enforce the law, but DAs around the state saying can not arrest on immigration status alone.  The person must be arrested for another crime before status can be checked. 

I feel like this is a move by the State to bluff illegal immigrants into moving away.  The e-verify will end up being the most productive part of this law. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »
I will say this:

Seems reasonable to me...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
The way this law is set up, it will discourage officers from attempting to enforce the law.  Lot of behind the scenes stuff right now. 

Judge threw out the clause that allows citizens to file suits against agencies who don't enforce the law, but DAs around the state saying can not arrest on immigration status alone.  The person must be arrested for another crime before status can be checked. 

I feel like this is a move by the State to bluff illegal immigrants into moving away.  The e-verify will end up being the most productive part of this law.

From what I've read, you can only request proof of citizenship when they're being arrested or "detained" for another reason.  You can't simply walk up to someone and request proof of citizenship. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
From what I've read, you can only request proof of citizenship when they're being arrested or "detained" for another reason.  You can't simply walk up to someone and request proof of citizenship.

Right.  Well, technically, we're asking for proof on any traffic stop.  That's what a drivers license is.  BUT, can't make an arrest for not having it.  With the 287g program that we already have, nothing has changed for us.  We already verified legal status of anyone booked in.

Like I said, the e-verify is the best part of this law. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:55:23 AM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »
As long as they refuse benefits to anyone that cannot show proof, I'm good. If you can't educate, or use gubment benefits without paying taxes, then you will move away. And that will allow us to then work on programs to help out CITIZENS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »

I hope it works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »
I hope it works.

I live in GA. I hope we pass the same damn thing quickly. Cause they all packing up and moving this way!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Token

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »
I live in GA. I hope we pass the same damn thing quickly. Cause they all packing up and moving this way!

Atlanta is the melting pot, they are totally cool with it.  We checked. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions