Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Speaking of Mullen, and MSU...

JR4AU

Speaking of Mullen, and MSU...
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:54 AM »
They sure are getting lots of pre-season love, but for real...does anybody REALLY believe they'll amount to more than the avg. MSU Bulldogs team?  What has Mullen done, and who do they have on their roster to make anybody think they'll be any better than a 7-8 win team?  Jackie Sherrill was the last coach to have a 10 win season at MSU, and that was in 1999.  He amassed an overall 75-75-2 mark at Starkvegas.  I happen to think Sherrill was a pretty good coach in his day, a he was a .500 coach there.  His overall record was severely damaged by his time at MSU. 

The famed Emory Bellard only managed two winning season out of 7.

Rocky Felker and Sly Crooms were teh suxors.

What the fuck makes anybody think State will do jack shit?  Seriously?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Speaking of Mullen, and MSU...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
They were better than a 7-8 win team last year when they won 9 games.

They had two very close losses to Auburn and Arkansas.

The two losses that weren't close were played in Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge.

They do return a lot of guys that contributed last season including their quarterback and a few athletes on offense along with a very talented defensive line. 

But in my opinion, no, they won't repeat what they did last year. 

They go to Auburn and despite what every says about Auburn, I think we have much more talent albeit young talent than Miss State. 

They go to Georgia. 

They still have to face two vastly more talented teams in LSU and Alabama, and South Carolina will be no slouch.

They also had the benefit last season of facing a Michigan team in crisis.

AND they go to Arkansas. 

They scare me enough to worry about our game against them, but I think 7 wins is more realistic for Miss State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
Mullen yesterday said "we're going to do whatever we have to do to win championships at Mississippi State. We don't want to hear the excuses about not having enough money or not being able to get the good players." 

Kenny Rogers, John Bond and Bill Bell immediately set up a conference call. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
Mullen yesterday said "we're going to do whatever we have to do to win championships at Mississippi State. We don't want to hear the excuses about not having enough money or not being able to get the good players." 

Kenny Rogers, John Bond and Bill Bell immediately set up a conference call.

And Shane immediately started on his latest article about Cam Newton for the Western Star...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
And Shane immediately started on his latest article about Cam Newton for the Western Star...

Somebody may be but it ain't Shane.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:31 AM »
They were better than a 7-8 win team last year when they won 9 games.

They had two very close losses to Auburn and Arkansas.

The two losses that weren't close were played in Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge.

They do return a lot of guys that contributed last season including their quarterback and a few athletes on offense along with a very talented defensive line. 

But in my opinion, no, they won't repeat what they did last year. 

They go to Auburn and despite what every says about Auburn, I think we have much more talent albeit young talent than Miss State. 

They go to Georgia. 

They still have to face two vastly more talented teams in LSU and Alabama, and South Carolina will be no slouch.

They also had the benefit last season of facing a Michigan team in crisis.

AND they go to Arkansas. 

They scare me enough to worry about our game against them, but I think 7 wins is more realistic for Miss State.

I'm not suggesting they'll suck.  I think Mullen is good.  That 9th win last year came against a Mich. team that had given up, and knew they were about to lose their coach.   Other of those 9 wins were vs Memphis, Alcorn State, and UAB. 

Fact is, the only thing about the landscape of the SECW that's changed for them is Auburn won't be as good, and frankly, when we played them last year, we were an avg football team. 

Memphis, La Tech, UAB, and UT Martin assure them of 4 wins.  Not another game on their schedule can be considered a for sure W.  Even without any injuries, or bad bounces of the ball, they could be a 4-8, 5-7 team.  I don't think they will, but they could. 

It just seems I hear this "dark horse favorite" talk every few years about State.  And every time, they seem to manage to be an avg team, or worse. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »
Starkville is a fitting name. Enough said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
I'm not suggesting they'll suck.  I think Mullen is good.  That 9th win last year came against a Mich. team that had given up, and knew they were about to lose their coach.   Other of those 9 wins were vs Memphis, Alcorn State, and UAB. 

Fact is, the only thing about the landscape of the SECW that's changed for them is Auburn won't be as good, and frankly, when we played them last year, we were an avg football team. 

Memphis, La Tech, UAB, and UT Martin assure them of 4 wins.  Not another game on their schedule can be considered a for sure W.  Even without any injuries, or bad bounces of the ball, they could be a 4-8, 5-7 team.  I don't think they will, but they could. 

It just seems I hear this "dark horse favorite" talk every few years about State.  And every time, they seem to manage to be an avg team, or worse.

Maybe they will suck afterall, but they're still "just State".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »
MSU needs more team talent if they want to win a championship, whether it be conference or national. The only SEC West team Mullen has beaten is Ole Miss. In an age where LSU, Alabama, and Auburn (?) rule the roost in the West, losing to any or a combination of those teams isn't going to cut it. Especially when, here lately, the winner of the SECCG goes to the NC game.

MSU's only guaranteed SEC wins the rest of this season are UK, and probably Ole Miss. Bama is going to fuck them up, as usual. USCe as well. I think, depending on which team shows up, they can win against UGA. Maybe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
MSU needs more team talent if they want to win a championship, whether it be conference or national. The only SEC West team Mullen has beaten is Ole Miss. In an age where LSU, Alabama, and Auburn (?) rule the roost in the West, losing to any or a combination of those teams isn't going to cut it. Especially when, here lately, the winner of the SECCG goes to the NC game.

MSU's only guaranteed SEC wins the rest of this season are UK, and probably Ole Miss. Bama is going to fuck them up, as usual. USCe as well. I think, depending on which team shows up, they can win against UGA. Maybe.
Fuck you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Fuck you.
You first.

The only reason that was put there was due to what we have seen so far this season. I just don't think AU is going to be able to contend for the West this year. It probably should have been a (*) really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
You first.

The only reason that was put there was due to what we have seen so far this season. I just don't think AU is going to be able to contend for the West this year. It probably should have been a (*) really.
Whatever, with Roof we could never go wrong. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
You first.

You never tell AWK to go first.......it's dangerous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan