• Pledge Master
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Tony Franklin article
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
Good find.  I don't know how long Franklin will be here.  I just can't shake the feeling that this is a 2-3 year deal at best.  I think the first sign of this offense not clicking, folks will start hollering, "Why the hell did we ever go to something like this?  This ain't Auburn football."

It should be an interesting to watch though.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »
Anybody who can get Brandon Cox to run for 12 yards on 3rd and 8 in eight practices has something going for him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

BLS

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:42:22 PM »
It's certainly going to be interesting to see how things go. I think if it is not successful quickly then it will more than likely be shelved by TT . Some see it as a gimmick. Personally I haven't seen it nor would I qualify myself as having the professional expertise to know if it was or not. It's going to be a fun ride seeing what happens.
Hell he may light it up but he may not.  I don't think you change the whole philosophy of your team, offensively, in one or even two years. You have to get the type players you need to do those things. Maybe you guys have that already? I don't know.
Does anyone think he has bigger things on his mind than being a coordinator? What I mean is a couple good years of success, if that happens, and would he want to take that success and build on his personal business? ''The Tony Franklin Seminar'' business?

The article says he is, or is going, to ask the SEC office to reconsider him keeping ownership of that business. He's obviously still interested in keeping that aspect of his career going.

Lastly, TT seems to have to be locked into this idea. If your going to change the type players you target to bring in to run this type system ,i.e. QB's  O linemen,Rbacks, then it will effect your program for quite a while. Other words, no turning back now.

Don't shoot me either, I'm just curious because of the big change in direction TT chooses to go.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau

• Judicial Chair
  • On a gravy train with biscuit wheels.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:42:14 PM »
The hiring of Al Borges was a major shift in offensive philosophy. We'll be fine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Life can really kick your ass.  I only have a vague recollection of when it wasn't kickin' mine.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:42:06 AM »
Either Franklin is brilliant or he has already hung himself.  When asked how long it would take to get the right kind of players for his system he shot back that Auburn already had the right players. 
Seems somewhat difficult for me to believe but I don't claim to know his version the spread offense either.
Should be an interesting ride.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:05:22 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
Other than O linemen, I think that we had players that were better suited for the spread (and Cox of course).  What I'm basing this off of is, the QB's behind Cox, and all the receivers that were good recruits, but haven't shown much yet.  And don't forget Fannin, this offense could make him a Heisman candidate before he graduates.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
You nailed it, ssg.  Our wide receiver recruits over the last few years have been rated very high with good speed and sick numbers.  Yet, everyone has questioned if we have any playmakers at that position.  Look, the problem was simple.  When Reggie Herring is stating publically that Al Borges had become the most predictable OC in the league, you got problems.  Season before last when UGA bitch slapped us around in JHS, I had the opportunity to talk with one of UGA's graduate assistants following the season.  The guy was helping with the defense and said the exact same thing.  He said they knew pretty much what was coming all day long by the way they lined up.

Anyone who saw that game knows how obvious that was.

Franklin's offense is all about distributing the ball to all these athletes with space to run and make plays.  Can you see Mario Fannin getting the ball 7-10 times a game on swing passes with a full head of steam?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Can you see Mario Fannin getting the ball 7-10 times a game on swing passes with a full head of steam?

Nope.  But I would like to!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
I just saw it in my head and I have the erection to prove it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
Damn, I had hope to get more feedback on what you mofo's thought about Franklin and TT bringing him in.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 05:49:48 PM »
Damn, I had hope to get more feedback on what you mofo's thought about Franklin and TT bringing him in.

I think we are all still pretty unsure what to think at this point. If people are like me, which I think they are, they are kind of hesitant about a radical switch to such a pure spread offense. Auburn fans are used to producing good powerful down hill RB's such as Bo Jackson, Rudi Johnson, Stephen Davis, Joe Cribbs, Brent Fullwood, etc... But in this offense, that clearly will not be the type of offense that utilzes those types of backs. What worries me about this offense is having a lead of about 3 to 6 points with 5 minutes left to go in the game and Auburn not having the man power to run out the clock. However, I witnessed Auburn win 9 games last year by having the 100th ranked offense in the nation...so any help on the offensive side couldn't possibly hurt.

It is amazing to me that Auburn put up 430 yards of offense on a realy good Clemson Defense with only 9 days of practices...that's amazing to me. Couple that with Branndon Cox having his BEST game since he put on an Auburn uniform gives me chills to think what this kind of production this offense can produce. If Auburn is able to average 24 points in SEC play this year...I think we can win the SEC. I think our defense will be solid so any help the offense can give will just make Auburn that much more tough!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
I think we are all still pretty unsure what to think at this point. If people are like me, which I think they are, they are kind of hesitant about a radical switch to such a pure spread offense. Auburn fans are used to producing good powerful down hill RB's such as Bo Jackson, Rudi Johnson, Stephen Davis, Joe Cribbs, Brent Fullwood, etc... But in this offense, that clearly will not be the type of offense that utilzes those types of backs. What worries me about this offense is having a lead of about 3 to 6 points with 5 minutes left to go in the game and Auburn not having the man power to run out the clock. However, I witnessed Auburn win 9 games last year by having the 100th ranked offense in the nation...so any help on the offensive side couldn't possibly hurt.

It is amazing to me that Auburn put up 430 yards of offense on a realy good Clemson Defense with only 9 days of practices...that's amazing to me. Couple that with Branndon Cox having his BEST game since he put on an Auburn uniform gives me chills to think what this kind of production this offense can produce. If Auburn is able to average 24 points in SEC play this year...I think we can win the SEC. I think our defense will be solid so any help the offense can give will just make Auburn that much more tough!

For such a drastic change, I’d be a bit cautious too. I'm not saying you guys won't be good or successful. What I would say is I don't buy that comment Franklin said about already having the players. Yes, you have good enough players to compete and I'm sure to do well this year but, the change in the way your going to ask these players to play are going to cause some problems at some point this year. This kind of change doesn't happen over night. If Franklin is expecting to waltz through the brutal SEC talent and speed, he may get a rude awakening. If he tries to get cute a couple times, I’m sure with this type offence that's bound to happen, and it costs AU a game or two, the fans will be all over him and TT. The first two or three games are going to be huge for the season’s success. Start out fired up and hitting on all cylinders and watch out SEC. Stumble and look bad, lose a couple of the first three and it very well could fall apart. Questions will be coming from all angles. I know from my opinion,I would not want to have a team that is geared towards having shootouts on the offensive side of the ball.  Quick stricking offenses don't do much to help out their defense which is what I think TT is banking on this year to keep this offense and season afloat.

Your right 430 yards against Clemson with just 9 days of practice is fucking incredible. There are a lot of reasons that could be credited for that and argued to the negative or even positive. Maybe you guys were just that good after nine days, maybe Clemson didn't have much to practice on and was caught off guard? If I had to pick I'd say a little bit of both and maybe a little luck. Certainly positive results to come away with but that just isn’t enough to know if this thing is going to work or not. One thing we all seem to agree on is that it is going to be a LOT of fun watching how this goes

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »

For such a drastic change, I’d be a bit cautious too. I'm not saying you guys won't be good or successful. What I would say is I don't buy that comment Franklin said about already having the players. Yes, you have good enough players to compete and I'm sure to do well this year but, the change in the way your going to ask these players to play are going to cause some problems at some point this year. This kind of change doesn't happen over night. If Franklin is expecting to waltz through the brutal SEC talent and speed, he may get a rude awakening. If he tries to get cute a couple times, I’m sure with this type offence that's bound to happen, and it costs AU a game or two, the fans will be all over him and TT. The first two or three games are going to be huge for the season’s success. Start out fired up and hitting on all cylinders and watch out SEC. Stumble and look bad, lose a couple of the first three and it very well could fall apart. Questions will be coming from all angles. I know from my opinion,I would not want to have a team that is geared towards having shootouts on the offensive side of the ball.  Quick stricking offenses don't do much to help out their defense which is what I think TT is banking on this year to keep this offense and season afloat.

Your right 430 yards against Clemson with just 9 days of practice is fucking incredible. There are a lot of reasons that could be credited for that and argued to the negative or even positive. Maybe you guys were just that good after nine days, maybe Clemson didn't have much to practice on and was caught off guard? If I had to pick I'd say a little bit of both and maybe a little luck. Certainly positive results to come away with but that just isn’t enough to know if this thing is going to work or not. One thing we all seem to agree on is that it is going to be a LOT of fun watching how this goes

I totally agree with what you are saying.  I think our main problem will be in the WR department.  We have some decent wide recievers, but there are not any huge play makers.  To run a spread (or at least what I think is required to run a spread) you need a a few big time recievers, especially is you want to win a conference like the SEC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »
I totally agree with what you are saying.  I think our main problem will be in the WR department.  We have some decent wide recievers, but there are not any huge play makers.  To run a spread (or at least what I think is required to run a spread) you need a a few big time recievers, especially is you want to win a conference like the SEC. 
Actually, you don't have to have the spectacular stars at WR.  You need a good athletic QB that can throw the intermediate passes and have enough athletic ability to make some plays with is feet as well, and WRs that will run good crisp routes.  While it remains to be seen whether or not the WRs that are already on campus can run the good routes (mainly because they were all "extra blockers" for the last couple of years), I think the Robert Dunns, Mario Fannins and the Rod Smiths of the world can do very well in this O. 
I only worry that Ben Tate will be a forgotten back before his time is up at Auburn.  He is a big bruiser that can get you the 2-3 yards you have to have on 3rd down or late in the game to put it away, but just doesn't appear to fit in this offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

BLS

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »
That is correct about the recievers HJ. It's usually run with 3 and 4 wideouts and a single running back. Having the QB hit quick high percentage short passes or hot routes. Your QB being the second running back and making lots of plays keeping the ball. He's going to take quite a few shots too. I think the tight end is kind of eliminated. Lots of shot gun,no huddle. What's going to be tough is it takes a lot of communication by the players, especially with the no huddle. Everything relies on the reads by the coaches in the booth. Relayed to the QB at the line who quickly gets a signal to the players on the line. It all happens quickly so lots of communication.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
What's going to be tough is it takes a lot of communication by the players, especially with the no huddle. Everything relies on the reads by the coaches in the booth. Relayed to the QB at the line who quickly gets a signal to the players on the line. It all happens quickly so lots of communication.

Throughout the season trying to pound the ball we would get up to the line of scrimmage with only 5 -6 seconds left on the clock so anything would be an improvement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »
Throughout the season trying to pound the ball we would get up to the line of scrimmage with only 5 -6 seconds left on the clock so anything would be an improvement.

That shit will kill a perfectly called play by the coach. We did the same thing constantly under Shula.
It happened some last year. You could see Saban saying in the headset ''call the fucking play Major,get the fucking play in''.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
If Troy had the players to run this offense and tally up enough yards and points to be the 16th rated offense, I'm sure that he can mold the current Auburn players to handle the deal.  The thing that got me the most upset over the last two years of Borges is the fact that we let every team put 9 guys on the line and we never tried to burn them deep to loosen them up.  With Franklin, the days of "stacking the box" against us should be over.  Imagine a back like Carnell or Kenny being given the ball without 9 guys on the line of scrimmage.  I'm betting that we have a 1,000 yard rusher this year and you will see the running backs flock to AU again.  Oh yeah you'll see the QB's and receivers start coming in droves as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01:16 PM »
If Troy had the players to run this offense and tally up enough yards and points to be the 16th rated offense, I'm sure that he can mold the current Auburn players to handle the deal.  The thing that got me the most upset over the last two years of Borges is the fact that we let every team put 9 guys on the line and we never tried to burn them deep to loosen them up.  With Franklin, the days of "stacking the box" against us should be over.  Imagine a back like Carnell or Kenny being given the ball without 9 guys on the line of scrimmage.  I'm betting that we have a 1,000 yard rusher this year and you will see the running backs flock to AU again.  Oh yeah you'll see the QB's and receivers start coming in droves as well.

He's sure as hell going to have more to work with. I don't know about QB's coming in droves. AU will get their share of good qb's. No doubt. They'll be much more athletic type seeing as they will be running the ball alot in the spread. Some of the pure passers may shy away though. notice I said ''some may'', because they will want to play in a system that will run a good bit of pro set for the grooming of the NFL. Doesn't mean you wont get some, just that some will steer clear because of the spread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions