Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

ANOTHER School Not Named Auburn Guilty of Improper Benefits

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
ANOTHER School Not Named Auburn Guilty of Improper Benefits
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/september/south+carolinas+damiere+byrd+must+miss+four+games+repay+benefits

South Carolina's Damiere Byrd must miss four games, repay benefits

University of South Carolina football student-athlete Damiere Byrd must sit four games and repay benefits as a condition of becoming eligible to compete again, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff.

According to the facts submitted by the university, Byrd and his family received approximately $2,700 in recruiting inducements and impermissible benefits. These were provided by a University of South Carolina booster during Byrd’s recruitment at the institution. The impermissible benefits included lodging, transportation and meals during multiple unofficial visits to the University of South Carolina. It also included several parties at the booster’s home and gift cards.

During the student-athlete reinstatement process, the staff considers a number of factors including guidelines established by the Division I NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for the type of violations and value of benefits, if a significant competitive advantage was gained, the student-athlete’s responsibility for the violations and any mitigating circumstances presented by the school, among other factors.

“Our members have continually made it clear boosters and other third parties do not have a place in recruiting student-athletes,” said Kevin Lennon, vice president of academic and membership affairs. “The reinstatement process is in place to ensure accountability and in this case, multiple benefits were provided to the student-athlete and his family over a significant amount of time.”

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete’s eligibility be reinstated. The NCAA staff reviews each student-athlete’s reinstatement request individually based on its own merits and set of specific facts, which are agreed upon by the university and the NCAA enforcement staff.

The university can appeal any student-athlete reinstatement decision to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, an independent panel comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, university and athletic conferences who are not directly affiliated with the university. This committee can reduce or remove the condition, but it cannot increase the staff-imposed conditions. If appealed, the student-athlete remains ineligible until the conclusion of the appeals process.

The reinstatement process typically concludes prior to the close of the enforcement investigation, which must determine the university’s responsibility for violations. While it depends on the complexity of the case, most student-athlete reinstatement requests are resolved in about a week after the school has provided a complete request and the reinstatement staff has all the necessary information. In contrast an enforcement investigation, which also varies in length depending on the complexity, must look at the totality of issues and takes an average of 11 months. For this reason, student-athlete reinstatement decisions do not signal that an enforcement investigation is complete.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: ANOTHER School Not Named Auburn Guilty of Improper Benefits
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
Just one more item off the to do list before the NCAA gets to the nuclear strike on Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
God I wish I could find that stupid ass SC Cocksucker I got into it with at the hotel bar SECCG weekend. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »
God I wish I could find that stupid ass SC Cocksucker I got into it with at the hotel bar SECCG weekend.

The last time you should have seen him was with about 1 second left in the first half.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »
The last time you should have seen him was with about 1 second left in the first half.

Unless he was in the band.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
I thought the same thing about some faggot that was in full $cam Newton regalia screaming at a girl outside our tailgate "Scam Newton baby! Buncha fuckin cheaters!" and trying to fight every Auburn fan that dared tell him to STFU.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:12:27 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
No fan base I've ever been around defines "Act like you've been there before" more than SC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
Why am I not hearing SHIT about this?

I haven't heard one word on ESPN. Haven't seen one thing on any message board. Just a couple of blips on Twitter when the statement was released, and then nothing.

This is how actual improper benefits cases are treated? As opposed to damn near a year of obsession over false allegations?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 04:34:06 PM »
And another....

http://www.ncaa.com/content/boise-state-university-public-infractions-report

Cliffs?

The only reason I knew about the kid from UF was b/c Muschamp was raising hell about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Brando apparently reported on the UF kid this past Friday.  Said he got paid under the table by a booster.  A Florida fan called him today to correct him and Brando got all pissy.  "I know what the real story is, I've read it".

Then he said Finebaum would be on so I turned it off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
Brando apparently reported on the UF kid this past Friday.  Said he got paid under the table by a booster.  A Florida fan called him today to correct him and Brando got all pissy.  "I know what the real story is, I've read it".

Then he said Finebaum would be on so I turned it off.

I heard about it Friday evening on teh ESPNZ.  Not so much about the player, but about Muschamp's comments.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
You know what one of the Boise things was?  One of the football players was hosting a recruit at his apartment and he bought a pizza, which was shared with the recruit.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOLY SHIT!!  THEM CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm:

The NCAA is as useless an organization as any I can think of. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
You know what one of the Boise things was?  One of the football players was hosting a recruit at his apartment and he bought a pizza, which was shared with the recruit.

You mean they actually have Pizza in Idaho? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »

That pizza helped them get hit with lack of institutional control, a loss of three scholarship, a loss of practice time, and probation. 

The NCAA sucks.  Unless they don't.  (See Cam Newton purchase without repercussion)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
That pizza helped them get hit with lack of institutional control, a loss of three scholarship, a loss of practice time, and probation. 

The NCAA sucks.  Unless they don't.  (See Cam Newton purchase without repercussion)

Looked to me like it was mostly track and tennis coaches fucking around with international athletes. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »
Looked to me like it was mostly track and tennis coaches fucking around with international athletes.
From a CBS article a few weeks ago...
The violations totaled $4,934 in impermissible benefits to 63 incoming players during the summers of 2005-2008.  That's just over $78 per student athlete for housing and transportation.  Those dollar amounts have been repaid, and the hope is that there will be no further punishment levied against the football program.

The Boise State women's tennis crime spree consisted of providing a recruit with impermissible transportation (rides to and from the airport), cash ($40 for groceries), lodging (with another athlete-student), educational expenses ($3,460 for English courses) and entertainment (a camping trip). And here you thought the Barrow Gang was despicable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »
From a CBS article a few weeks ago...
Yeah, I mean, it looks relatively small potatoes, but...

Saying it's just a couple pizzas is like saying the Ramsey thing was about a couple of steaks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions