Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn Ranked Second in Nation by Computer

Re: Auburn Ranked Second in Nation by Computer
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
Anecdotal evidence alert!!

I seem to recall every football season in my addled memory beginning with the following statement (or a variation thereof):

The defending national champ is #1 until somebody beats them.

Not arguing the point one way or the other...just throwing logs on the conflagration.

I heard it like five thousand times in 1999.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »

I seem to recall every football season in my addled memory beginning with the following statement (or a variation thereof):

Not arguing the point one way or the other...just throwing logs on the conflagration.

Whoever said that may staunchly believe it, and it may be one way of doing it for preseason polls, but currently the polls (both preseason and regular season) have not embraced that motto, nor should they in my opinion.  UT was #2 in 1999, FL St. was #2 in 2000, OK was #3 in 2001, etc.  In fact, of the 13 BCS champions, only 4 started out ranked #1 in the preseason polls for the season after their championships.

Granted, none started as low as #23.  But, as mentioned previously, I'd dare say that Auburn lost more talent and was left with more younger, inexperienced players than these other national champions.  That's a complete guess, but given the other teams' abilities to blow out their opening day opponents (aside from LSU in 2004), it would appear on its face to be true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
This thread's full of win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »

Yes, but, Auburn is only the defending National Champs until the hammer falls.  Chizik didn't win Coach of the Year, and a Tennis Player beat Cam for Athlete of the year.  That means everybody knows, and Danny Sheraton even knows the bag man.  So, those that really know default us back to last year's pre-season rank, and since we barely beat a lowly Utah State team, like a normal Auburn team would because we're a perennial 6-6 team, we are therefor, no longer ranked and never should be. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions