Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
Thanks.  I'm not any BBQ competitor, just something I concocted when I had some time.  Seems like the last few times I made it, I bumped up the rub content, and left out the chili powder.  Also thought I might, one day when I had time and motivation, start with a quality tomato sauce instead, but it would take some experimentation to get the sugar content back right.  That recipe, as I said, can be taken way sweeter, way hotter, thinner with more vinegar, and really any way you want to take it. I've played a lot with sweet and hot, but not much else.

I do like white sauce on chicken too.  (Assume you mean something like Big Bob Gibson's)  Once came up with a good recipe for that, but failed to write it down.  I started with something I found online that claimed to be Big Bob Gibson's recipe, but it wasn't close.  Way sweet, and to me Bob Gibson's isn't really that good either.  We had a local joint here that did a nice white sauce, that was more "vinegary" and "peppery" than Big Bobs, and I liked it, I tried to copy it, and came damn close. 

Never have tried to come up with my own rub. 

Good info on the cooking methods for ribs and such.

That is the cool thing to me about sauces and rubs, you can do just about anything you want.  Most of the time it's going to turn out pretty decent unless you just really fuck it up.

Sorta like Big Bob's, only better in my mind.  The stuff he bottles isn't that good.  I saw a recipe online once that claimed to be his, tried it and it was awful.  Mine is basically Mayo, Apple Cider and white or rice vinegar, black pepper, sugar, kosher slat and some cayenne.

They serve decent food their, but their homemade pies...............Damn, just damn! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »
By any chance have you met Myron Mixon at any of the contests? Dude seems like a real asshole on the TV show. I know he's kind of the grand pumpa of bbq contests but still......seems like a real douche.

I have and I have met Johnny Trigg as well.  Both are nice guys, we talked to them once the boxes were turned in though.   A lot of that is put on for the camera.   They were pretty cool about it and talked to us about how we did and they thought they did.  Trigg told me he was disappointed in his chicken and if it walked he wanted to talk to the judges about their certification, b/c they would be nuts.   He didn't walk, but did finish 7th overall.  Myron won the contest he was in.  He was confident in it, but wasn't an asshole about it.

We tend to socialize on Friday Nights for a couple of hours with other backyard teams.  The pros are usually cooking shoulders and briskets so we leave them be for the most part.  There are a couple of teams on that side we know that we will go visit, but not too many.  On Saturdays, everyone is in a rage from 11:00 to 2:00 when boxes are turned in.  I have never been flat out rude to anyone, but I may not say much.  Trying to concentrate for the most part.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
I got a couple burgers recipes that I have come across over the years like my "Coca-Cola Burger", "Jalapeno Cheese Burger" and my "Hot Wing Burger". I don't measure the ingredients anymore, I just go with it. But....BUT, the shiznit comes out when I place those badd azz Meyers XXX Hot Jalapeno n Cheese Smoked Deer sausage links on the grill. Get you a beer cause dem bitches gonna get you right.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:42:15 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions