Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
i have never done pork tenderloin well with other things on the smoker unless i was making canadian bacon with it.

next time, i'll rotisserie it on the gasser.

Canadian Bacon has to be one of the biggest oxymorons in the english language.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
Canadian Bacon has to be one of the biggest oxymorons in the english language.

Why do you hate John Candy?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »
Why do you hate John Candy?

Uncle Buck teh roxxors. I wanted his car.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2011, 11:56:02 AM »
Okay, a 2:30 kickoff for Auburn and them dirty ass dawgs.  Perfect kickoff time IMO.  Hate the 11:00 starts and don't care for the night games unless I'm going to the actual game.  I don't want to wait all day to watch Auburn.  2:30 means I can get up and get a workout, go run some errands and line up the grilling/drinking situation for the 2:30 game.  After the game, I can relax and check out the night games.

So, I'm up in the air about this weekends menu.  Could go with the standard wings or maybe ribs. Could do a combo of meats.  I need suggestions.  Any particular recipe or marinates you could recommend? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
So Saturday was my best yet.  A masterpiece.  Works of art.  Had a bunch of people over Saturday night and was just feeling the rib/wing thing.  Had not cooked any on The Big Green Egg since I installed one in man-pit.  The biggest thing I've found about the Egg is that it cooks much slower and more evenly.  Probably because the food is a little farther away from the coals than the Weber bowl.  Anywho, I used two spice rubs I got on the ribs and coated the shiot out of them.  Memphis and St. Louis Rib Rubs.  Wrapped them in foil but put Worcestishuseshtishire and Teriyaki in first to keep them moist. Oven baked them on 225 for 2 1/2 hours before putting them on the grill.  That was perfect because I had been doing them at 250 before and they actually were a little too done by the time they hit the grill.

Put them on the Egg and coated them with my mixture of Jack Daniels Maple Brown Sugar BBQ sauce, cinnamon, honey and Frank's Hot Sauce.  Could not have done them any better.  I really believe the lower heat made all the difference.  What I was shooting for with consistency was for the meat to pull easily off the bone as opposed to falling off, which is what was happening with the higher temps.  I know a lot of you are pretty experienced rib cookers.  Is that what you try to achieve as far as consistency of the meat?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
I like for you to be able to pick up a rib and take a bite out of it without either having to gnaw on it like a dog or having the whole thing slide off the bone and into your lap.   So just like you said, in other words.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »
I like for you to be able to pick up a rib and take a bite out of it without either having to gnaw on it like a dog or having the whole thing slide off the bone and into your lap.   So just like you said, in other words.

My source is Adam Richman from Man vs. Food.  That's how he said it should be so that's what I shoot for.  Seriously, when they get to the "falling off the bone" stage, I can't even pick them up off the grill.  We've got some competitive cookers on board.  Input?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
My source is Adam Richman from Man vs. Food.  That's how he said it should be so that's what I shoot for.  Seriously, when they get to the "falling off the bone" stage, I can't even pick them up off the grill.  We've got some competitive cookers on board.  Input?

We have some former coaches on the board?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
So Saturday was my best yet.  A masterpiece.  Works of art.  Had a bunch of people over Saturday night and was just feeling the rib/wing thing.  Had not cooked any on The Big Green Egg since I installed one in man-pit.  The biggest thing I've found about the Egg is that it cooks much slower and more evenly.  Probably because the food is a little farther away from the coals than the Weber bowl.  Anywho, I used two spice rubs I got on the ribs and coated the shiot out of them.  Memphis and St. Louis Rib Rubs.  Wrapped them in foil but put Worcestishuseshtishire and Teriyaki in first to keep them moist. Oven baked them on 225 for 2 1/2 hours before putting them on the grill.  That was perfect because I had been doing them at 250 before and they actually were a little too done by the time they hit the grill.

Put them on the Egg and coated them with my mixture of Jack Daniels Maple Brown Sugar BBQ sauce, cinnamon, honey and Frank's Hot Sauce.  Could not have done them any better.  I really believe the lower heat made all the difference.  What I was shooting for with consistency was for the meat to pull easily off the bone as opposed to falling off, which is what was happening with the higher temps.  I know a lot of you are pretty experienced rib cookers.  Is that what you try to achieve as far as consistency of the meat?

In regards to the Maple Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce you used, let me give my honest opinion. When it comes to store bought sauces, I started reading labels religiously for ingredients. I won't buy anything (Im sure AUT1 knows this too) with the words "Corn Syrup" in it. It can ruin a barbecue. It caramelizes easily and has little on content and flavor. I prefer the mustard based sauces and prefer to make my own so that I know what is in it. There are some sauces in the store that are made right and without the corn syrup filler. You just have to really look hard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »

Every judge in KCBS and in the class they will tell you that you should be able to bite into a rib, and it will leave a perfect semi circle where you bit into it and the meat in that spot will pull cleanly away from the bone with the rest of the rib intact.   That is damn hard to pull off consistently.  Approx a 15-20 minute window.  We know that we can get six ribs from three slabs (usually the middle taller ribs) and we always cook 5 slabs so we can test.  Toothpick test is also a good way to check.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
In regards to the Maple Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce you used, let me give my honest opinion. When it comes to store bought sauces, I started reading labels religiously for ingredients. I won't buy anything (Im sure AUT1 knows this too) with the words "Corn Syrup" in it. It can ruin a barbecue. It caramelizes easily and has little on content and flavor. I prefer the mustard based sauces and prefer to make my own so that I know what is in it. There are some sauces in the store that are made right and without the corn syrup filler. You just have to really look hard.

I've never found too many store bought sauces that I like straight out of the bottle. That's why I try to spice/flavor them up with extra ingredients. I like it sweet but it has to have some pop to it.  I'm a huge fan of Frank's Hot Sauce.  It's got just enough heat and actually has a great flavor.  Admittedly, I'm a novice to the rib game and just started experimenting with them the last couple of years.  So, I don't know much about the sauces.  What is a mustard based sauce?  I assume there are a bunch of variations?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
I've never found too many store bought sauces that I like straight out of the bottle. That's why I try to spice/flavor them up with extra ingredients. I like it sweet but it has to have some pop to it.  I'm a huge fan of Frank's Hot Sauce.  It's got just enough heat and actually has a great flavor.  Admittedly, I'm a novice to the rib game and just started experimenting with them the last couple of years.  So, I don't know much about the sauces.  What is a mustard based sauce?  I assume there are a bunch of variations?

I actually have a hard time finding the mustard based ones in the supermarket. You can usually find them in the "down home" type grocery stores like Winn Dixie and Piggly Wiggly. Ive never seen em much in Wal Mart or Kroger. One that I am fond of is Foy's BBQ Sauce. It has about 7 ingredients and you can pronounce them all. (mustard, vinegar, paprika etc) You may can find it down in Dothan Snag if you have a Winn Dixie. I think its made in Columbus, GA but its pretty damn popular around here for pork. I wouldn't (and its a personal thing) really use it on chicken. There is also a mustard heavy one made by Cattlemen's Best called Carolina Gold.

Just a personal pref but I prefer the thick, dar, sweet sauces for chicken and the suttle mustard based ones for pork. I am a little partial to the Carolina and Memphis style sauces.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

Shhhhhh, keep this on the DL, this is what we use.  I like it and tell people that we make it, but we use it and do pretty well. 

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/blueshog/ 

We use the original sauce on our ribs and mix the TN Red with the original for our chicken.  I have also tried the honey mustard on brisket & pulled pork sandwiches.  It is also damn good with chicken fingers. 

We have never used the rub.  We have our own rub for beef and for pork and chicken we use Magic Dust (http://shop.17thstreetbarbecue.com/). We used his sauce at one comp and walked in ribs with it.  It's pretty good as well. 

We want a commercial rub for beef, but the best we have found came from the WSM website. (http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6880069052/m/3350066314)  Actually a damn good rub for brisket and beef loin.  Makes a damn good rub for your steak and is good sprinkled on burgers.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:03:58 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
Every judge in KCBS and in the class they will tell you that you should be able to bite into a rib, and it will leave a perfect semi circle where you bit into it and the meat in that spot will pull cleanly away from the bone with the rest of the rib intact.   That is damn hard to pull off consistently.  Approx a 15-20 minute window.  We know that we can get six ribs from three slabs (usually the middle taller ribs) and we always cook 5 slabs so we can test.  Toothpick test is also a good way to check.

Yep!  The meat should "offer some resistance" to the bite, but not be tough, nor should it just "fall off the bone".  As you said, it's tough to do consistently. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
Snaggle,

Not trying to be critical, but with an egg there is no reason to use the oven first.  A rib should not fall off the bone but should not be hard to bite either.  With a st. Louis rib I would just do a spice rub, whatever you like.  Mine consists of garlic and onion powder, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, mustard powder, oregano and brown sugar.  Rub the ribs the night before then smoke them at 225 for 4-6 hours.  Now you need to get the indirect heat plate and the rib rack if you want to do multiple racks.

The advantages of the egg are that you can control the temperature like an oven and it holds steady for hours. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

JR4AU

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »
This is my sauce...

36 oz Ketchup
1/2 c Cider Vinegar
1/4 c Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 c Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Honey
1/4 c Yellow Mustard
1 tbs Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs BBQ rub (I use Bad Byrons Butt Rub)
Juice of one large lemon (squeeze thru strainer to catch seeds, discard seeds, add halves to pot)
salt
1/2 red wine (good enough that you'd drink it)
1 stick Butter

Combine everything in a non-reactive pan, heat over med-low until butter melts stirring occasionally  Bring up to simmer, then turn back to med-low heat, simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the sugars "turn" stirring occasionally.  They have to caramelize.   

Lots of ways I've tweaked it.  Add a Tbs more of honey to get more of a glaze for ribs.  If you want more heat, add a Tbs of red pepper flakes, or your choice of hot sauce.   Like a little more "tang" add  some vinegar and/or lemon juice.

If you're too lazy to do that, Kraft Original is the best "base sauce" for tweaking that I can think of. 

BTdub, the old original Ollies sauce makes a great rib and butt marinade prior to rubbing the dry rub, and smoking the meat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2012, 11:55:22 PM »
That looks good JR.  I like the fact that you use a little rub in your sauce.  We have turned in sauce 4 times and have won twice.  Once with a bourbon sauce and once with a white sauce.  Both are good in my opinion and we are pretty harsh critics on our stuff that we turn in.  One of these days I will post tons of recipes.  I just never remember and right now I am do damn tired to do it.  I have a ton of rub and sauce recipes.  Have a damn good injection and sop mop recipe.

Snags, what Yoda said.  I don't know how I missed it, but he is correct, buy the plates, no oven and cook at 225 for 4 to 6 hours....if you want to you can do a 2-1-2 and they come out pretty decent.  That would be cook for 2 hours on the grates, wrap for an hour and then cook for two more hours on the grates.  If you do wrap though, you may want to bump down to about 210.  They can get away from when they are wrapped and get too tender.

Some people will even do a 2-2-1. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:08 AM »
That looks good JR.  I like the fact that you use a little rub in your sauce.  We have turned in sauce 4 times and have won twice.  Once with a bourbon sauce and once with a white sauce.  Both are good in my opinion and we are pretty harsh critics on our stuff that we turn in.  One of these days I will post tons of recipes.  I just never remember and right now I am do damn tired to do it.  I have a ton of rub and sauce recipes.  Have a damn good injection and sop mop recipe.

Snags, what Yoda said.  I don't know how I missed it, but he is correct, buy the plates, no oven and cook at 225 for 4 to 6 hours....if you want to you can do a 2-1-2 and they come out pretty decent.  That would be cook for 2 hours on the grates, wrap for an hour and then cook for two more hours on the grates.  If you do wrap though, you may want to bump down to about 210.  They can get away from when they are wrapped and get too tender.

Some people will even do a 2-2-1.

Thanks.  I'm not any BBQ competitor, just something I concocted when I had some time.  Seems like the last few times I made it, I bumped up the rub content, and left out the chili powder.  Also thought I might, one day when I had time and motivation, start with a quality tomato sauce instead, but it would take some experimentation to get the sugar content back right.  That recipe, as I said, can be taken way sweeter, way hotter, thinner with more vinegar, and really any way you want to take it. I've played a lot with sweet and hot, but not much else.

I do like white sauce on chicken too.  (Assume you mean something like Big Bob Gibson's)  Once came up with a good recipe for that, but failed to write it down.  I started with something I found online that claimed to be Big Bob Gibson's recipe, but it wasn't close.  Way sweet, and to me Bob Gibson's isn't really that good either.  We had a local joint here that did a nice white sauce, that was more "vinegary" and "peppery" than Big Bobs, and I liked it, I tried to copy it, and came damn close. 

Never have tried to come up with my own rub. 

Good info on the cooking methods for ribs and such.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »
Shhhhhh, keep this on the DL, this is what we use.  I like it and tell people that we make it, but we use it and do pretty well. 

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/blueshog/ 

We use the original sauce on our ribs and mix the TN Red with the original for our chicken.  I have also tried the honey mustard on brisket & pulled pork sandwiches.  It is also damn good with chicken fingers. 

We have never used the rub.  We have our own rub for beef and for pork and chicken we use Magic Dust (http://shop.17thstreetbarbecue.com/). We used his sauce at one comp and walked in ribs with it.  It's pretty good as well. 

We want a commercial rub for beef, but the best we have found came from the WSM website. (http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6880069052/m/3350066314)  Actually a damn good rub for brisket and beef loin.  Makes a damn good rub for your steak and is good sprinkled on burgers.

By any chance have you met Myron Mixon at any of the contests? Dude seems like a real asshole on the TV show. I know he's kind of the grand pumpa of bbq contests but still......seems like a real douche.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »
Snaggle,

Not trying to be critical, but with an egg there is no reason to use the oven first.  A rib should not fall off the bone but should not be hard to bite either.  With a st. Louis rib I would just do a spice rub, whatever you like.  Mine consists of garlic and onion powder, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, mustard powder, oregano and brown sugar.  Rub the ribs the night before then smoke them at 225 for 4-6 hours.  Now you need to get the indirect heat plate and the rib rack if you want to do multiple racks.

The advantages of the egg are that you can control the temperature like an oven and it holds steady for hours.

Nice solid, yet simple rub. Paprika and Onion flavor make all the difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE