Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm a grilling nut.  The wife would tell you that I would grill something every single night.  Love preparing the meat, fish, poultry etc. and firing up the Weber.  I'm more of a charcoal kind of guy because I like the smoked flavor better and....just as importantly, I make grilling an event.  It's my time.  I understand the convenience of gas but I don't care to turn a knob and toss the eats on.  I crank up the tunes and pop a coooool one...or three. 

For me, football season means, among other things, Saturday mornings at man-pit.  If I'm not heading to the game, there will be a vegetable tray on the island, a cooler full of frosty beverages, and a Weber grill cooking up my world famous wings.  I try to grill up several dozen so people can graze on them all day long while teh foosballz is playing.  My world famous (loved by countless family members) wings are prepared as follows:

All the wings are drumettes.  No actual wings.
I bag them up either the night before or early that morning and let them soak in a mixture of:

Teriyaki
Soy
Franks Hot Sauce (Has to be Franks)
McCormick's Montreal Chicken Rub

I put them on the grill and finish them before one last turn on each side with the sauce, consisting of:

Jack Daniels Honey Maple BBQ Sauce
Honey
Cinnamon Powder
More Franks

I like a little pop but not too much.  Frank's is the one hot sauce I've found that has just enough bite but actually has a great flavor. Wings are the standard for most foosballz Saturdays at home, but on big time games like the Iron Bowl, my world famous ribs will be right beside the wings.  I marinate differently but finish them with the same sauce. 

What's on your grill this season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Football Saturday's Are Coming. Revisit...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:07:03 PM »
You said you like to "prepare the meat" huh huh
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
You said you like to "prepare the meat" huh huh

What's funny is I stopped and considered whether to lob that softball up there or not. 

I did.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
I like wings grilled too.  We simply sprinkle on a liberal helping of Tony's, then grill.  Secret to grilling is not having them directly over the flame.  In a Weber Kettle, I make a fire on one side, and put the wings on the other.  On a gas grill, only light one side.  They seem to get nice and crisp this way, yet remain juicy. 

We sometimes make our own wing sauce.  Franks and butter mostly.  My brother usually does it so I forget if there's more.  Actually, though I hate Dale's steak marinade, they make a pretty damn good wing sauce.   Still, Tony's cajun seasoning is teh roxxors. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »
My buddy is a contractor and he designed his own man pit with a Weber kettle.  Nothing elaborate.  Wooden with a good amount of surface around the grill and a metal roof, lights etc.  I had him build one for me as well and I love that thing.  His wife recently got him The Egg for his birthday and he replaced the Weber.  Much bigger and has to be supported from the bottom.  He's grilled on it several times now and is getting the hang of it.  We put some beer butt chickens on last weekend along with some filets and a pork shoulder for later.

Never been too keen on teh eggs but the more I'm around it, the more I'm considering one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
My buddy is a contractor and he designed his own man pit with a Weber kettle.  Nothing elaborate.  Wooden with a good amount of surface around the grill and a metal roof, lights etc.  I had him build one for me as well and I love that thing.  His wife recently got him The Egg for his birthday and he replaced the Weber.  Much bigger and has to be supported from the bottom.  He's grilled on it several times now and is getting the hang of it.  We put some beer butt chickens on last weekend along with some filets and a pork shoulder for later.

Never been too keen on teh eggs but the more I'm around it, the more I'm considering one.

I've started grilling wings myself.  I am running into a problem though.  While I like my wings hot, I rub them with Pillaterri's cajun seasoning and baste with wing sauce they are too hot for the wife.  I tried rubbing hers with pillaterri's mild and only basting the wing sauce on once, but they were still too hot.  So far I have tried Moore's Wing Sauce and Louisiana Wing Sauce.  i even cut hers sauce with some ketchup and honey and they were still too hot.

Does anyone know of a good MILD wing sauce?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
I've started grilling wings myself.  I am running into a problem though.  While I like my wings hot, I rub them with Pillaterri's cajun seasoning and baste with wing sauce they are too hot for the wife.  I tried rubbing hers with pillaterri's mild and only basting the wing sauce on once, but they were still too hot.  So far I have tried Moore's Wing Sauce and Louisiana Wing Sauce.  i even cut hers sauce with some ketchup and honey and they were still too hot.

I kept mentioning Franks but I use the actual hot sauce to spice up mixture, but like I said, I've never found it to have too much bite.  Franks does make a wing sauce you might try. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:33 PM »
I either grill or smoke them, depending on how much time I have.  I always marinade them in zesty Italian dressing, shake some Willingham's Hot Stuff or Slap Yo Momma rub on them.  If I feel a little brave after that I will use some Texas Pete hot sauce on them. 

Don't know what I am going to be cooking up this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

Try the Moore's Honey Wing Sauce.  It still has a little zing, but not that much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
Grilled chicken wangs are realy hard to beat! I typically make wings for lunch, with leftovers available for snacking throughout the day.

Normally I buy whole wings and cut them myself. First I give the wings a light coat of oil ( canola, vegetable, olive, 10W30 or whatever is  readily available). The oil helps them really crisp up on the grill.

Then I dust and rub them with:

Salt & Pepper
Cumin Powder
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Sometimes a bit of Cayenne Pepper, depending on the crowd

I put them in bag and let them sit overnight in the fridge. I use a gas grill but only half the grill is lit with the wings not over the flame. Otherwise the oil coating will cause big problems!

For sauce I keep it pretty basic for hot wings. Texas Pete Hot Sauce, stick of butter, touch of white vinegar. Just pour it over the wings. I might have to follow Snaggle's advice and try Frank's this weekend.

I've also tried to mimic Niffer's Chicago style wings. A bit of a  sweet BBQ flavor. I use plain BBQ sauce mixed with yellow mustard and honey. Not quite a mathc to Niffer's goodness just yet, but I'm still working on it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Grilled chicken wangs are realy hard to beat! I typically make wings for lunch, with leftovers available for snacking throughout the day.

Normally I buy whole wings and cut them myself. First I give the wings a light coat of oil ( canola, vegetable, olive, 10W30 or whatever is  readily available). The oil helps them really crisp up on the grill.

Then I dust and rub them with:

Salt & Pepper
Cumin Powder
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Sometimes a bit of Cayenne Pepper, depending on the crowd

I put them in bag and let them sit overnight in the fridge. I use a gas grill but only half the grill is lit with the wings not over the flame. Otherwise the oil coating will cause big problems!

For sauce I keep it pretty basic for hot wings. Texas Pete Hot Sauce, stick of butter, touch of white vinegar. Just pour it over the wings. I might have to follow Snaggle's advice and try Frank's this weekend.

I've also tried to mimic Niffer's Chicago style wings. A bit of a  sweet BBQ flavor. I use plain BBQ sauce mixed with yellow mustard and honey. Not quite a mathc to Niffer's goodness just yet, but I'm still working on it.

I need a beer or 6 to go with that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »

I could have sworn Moore's had a Hot and Mild version, no?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »
So last weekend I didn't cook shit.  I decided to take Mini-AUT1 to see his grandparents and my dad grilled us a steak up for dinner. 

Wanted to go to Huntsville Beer Week tonight, drink beer and watch Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, but for $30/ticket, fuck it, I will prep for tomorrow

The menu will be Boston Butt, Ribs, chicken quarters and drumsticks. Fattie, ABT's and stuffed smoked Bell Peppers.  Sides are going to be Cowboy Baked Beans, Potato Salad, grilled veggie dish, slaw, chips, dip and banana bars for dessert. 

Butt:

Injection of bourbon, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and worcestershire.  Coat with a thin coating of mustard and rub it down with butt rub.  Hickory and pecan mixture on the wood.

Ribs:

We rub down with magic dust and throw them on.  We cook them using the 3-2-1 method.  We sprinkle rub on them and spritz them with apple juice about 2 hours in.  When we wrap them, we pour a little juice in the foil and squirt them down with a little butter.  Once we pull them from the foil, we sprinkle a little more rub on them and then sauce them about 20 minutes out.  Apple for the wood.

Chicken

We sprinkle magic dust on them, let them go and about 20 minutes out sauce them up.  Apple and hickory for the wood.

Sides:

Beans are simply, beans, bell peppers, brown sugar, bacon and crumbled up grilled hamburger patties.  Grilled veggie dish is onion, potatoes and carrots in a foil pan with salt, pepper, cayenne in water.  Drain the water and serve. Potato Salad I don't have a clue, my wife won't tell me damn her! I know it has potatoes (duh) onion, mustard, a hint of mayo and I can't quite get the rest of it.  I haven't decided on the slaw yet, either mustard or hot slaw. It will be good either way.

Fattie will be of Chorizo sausage, bell peppers, jalapeno's, pepper jack, green onion and purple onion. Wrapped in bacon of course.  ABT's, jalapeno cut in half, stuff with cream cheese, little smokie and wrap in bacon.  Stuffed Bell Peppers, core it, stuff it full of bacon, ham, and cheese.

Dessert:

Banana Bars, are.....fuck it, do I look like a woman, I don't make desserts, that is for the women to take care of. Although I do make a mean ass chocolate cobbler and pecan pie

Drinks:

I have decided that I will go cheap this weekend and drink Jumbo special's.   Ky Gentlemen and cola product.  I am buying some to cook with, so I might as well drink so of it.   We also have a "Southern Punch recipie that will be used.  Lemon zest, lemon juice, sweet tea, peach nectar and vodka.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »
Damn son, I take it you have company comin'?  That sounds good. I need to do the stuffed bell pepper thing.  Never done it.  Do you use just green or do you use the red or orange or yellow? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Damn son, I take it you have company comin'?  That sounds good. I need to do the stuffed bell pepper thing.  Never done it.  Do you use just green or do you use the red or orange or yellow?

Yeah, we decided to have a neighborhood gathering.  Especially since I have the biggest deck in neighborhood.....ahhh, everyone wishes they could have a deck as big as mine....anywho.

I use Green and Red.  The Orange and Yellow are a little sweet and I am trying to get more pepper taste, but nothing wrong with using them.  It might actually be good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
Yeah, we decided to have a neighborhood gathering.  Especially since I have the biggest deck in neighborhood.....ahhh, everyone wishes they could have a deck as big as mine....anywho.

I use Green and Red.  The Orange and Yellow are a little sweet and I am trying to get more pepper taste, but nothing wrong with using them.  It might actually be good.

have you ever used anaheim peppers as an alternative to jalapenos? i did this on labor day for a change.  we've got family who are pussies and will not take the heat.  surprisingly, they were good. 

did pulled pork too...

i must visit you and learn from you.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
have you ever used anaheim peppers as an alternative to jalapenos? i did this on labor day for a change.  we've got family who are pussies and will not take the heat.  surprisingly, they were good. 

did pulled pork too...

i must visit you and learn from you.

I have never used them but will give them a try.   I have used banana peppers, cut the top about 3/4 the way around, flip it back, core it, and stuff with cream cheese, little smokey and wrap in bacon.  If you take a spoon and scrape away the veins in a jalapeno, I find them to be mild, but I love spicy, so they may not be as mild as I think.

There is nothing that you could learn from me that you couldn't learn from www.thesmokering.com  That site is full of good info.  As is the virtual bullet site. But would still love to have anyone on here come for a visit and cook.

Managed to get drunk as hell on Friday night and we decided against the butts (neighbor did) and he picked up a 18 lb shoulder Friday morning, let it soak, injected it and we put it on last night around 10'ish.  We cooked it hotter than normal (Myron Mixon Method at 325) and wrapped the pan after 8 hours to help speed it up to make sure it was done on time.   Twas good.   Felt like death this morning and have all day.   Bourbon, Vodka and beer really don't mix well.  At one point about 8 this morning, I wanted to say "fuck it" call it all off and go to sleep for a few hours.   All the food turned out great other than the chicken......we sorta forgot about it.  I sauced them up and was going to let the sauce cook for about 15 minutes and then take them off.  I had another drink, pulled the shoulder and then decided it was time to eat.  Ate, watched some football and realized "OH SHIT THE CHICKEN".   Needless to say it was charred.    :facepalm:  on me for allowing it to happen.

Speaking of Bourbon, I bought 1/2 gallon of KY Gentlemen to make some injection and sauce with.  I forgot how rot gut it was until I had a shot.  Took a shot, coughed, went to the fridge and grabbed a sprite zero.   After that it wasn't so bad.  That is some shitty whiskey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »
First off, I hate frickin' 11:00 games.  Frick.  But, I'll just have to deal with it.  Family is coming over and wings are the object of my affection.  So I won't get stuck cooking while the game's starting like I always seem to, those babies are hitting the grill no later than 10:15. 

However, this won't be a problem after this week.  Finally having a 32" Panasonic mounted on the screened in back porch right beside the man pit.  Stay inside bitches and have your little fun.  I'm grillin', throwin' back brews and watching some foosballz. 

I'm ready for some wings.  They go in the marinade tonight. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
First off, I hate frickin' 11:00 games.  Frick.  But, I'll just have to deal with it.  Family is coming over and wings are the object of my affection.  So I won't get stuck cooking while the game's starting like I always seem to, those babies are hitting the grill no later than 10:15. 

However, this won't be a problem after this week.  Finally having a 32" Panasonic mounted on the screened in back porch right beside the man pit.  Stay inside bitches and have your little fun.  I'm grillin', throwin' back brews and watching some foosballz. 

I'm ready for some wings.  They go in the marinade tonight.

i'm doing bowl of lucky charms.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »
i'm doing bowl of lucky charms.

Aaahhh.....smoke a fat one, didja?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions