Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says he won't have two quarterback system,

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn doesn't have to be reminded he hasn't named a starting quarterback, though the media is happy to mention it to him most every day.

That's what happened Tuesday.

Auburn held a half-scrimmage in Jordan-Hare Stadium that was designed for freshmen to try to impress the coaches, and that meant Kiehl Frazier took all the 30-or-so snaps. And that meant Malzahn was asked about the race.

Today's scrimmage doesn't make Frazier the front runner in the race that also features Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley. Frazier was the center of attention Tuesday, by default.

"He needs the reps one more time in the stadium before we start narrowing things down," Malzahn said.

Junior Barrett Trotter and sophomore Clint Moseley watched from the sidelines in another day in the race to be the starter. Moseley said Malzahn indicated the  quarterback race is nearing an end.

"He said it would have to be soon. That's all he said," Moseley said.

Malzahn was asked if he would consider playing two quarterbacks.

"I've never done that before, so I'd say the chances are probably slim," he said.

Auburn followed up its half-scrimmage with another practice Tuesday night in yet another move to evaluate the quarterbacks.

"We understand the time is running out, and we'll make a decision in the near future," Malzahn said.

Malzahn said Frazier "did a good job. Every time he gets out in the stadium you can tell he's a little more comfortable. Once he gets on the field and runs the plays he does a better job with his progressions

"This scrimmage was primarily designed for the young guys, not just for Kiehl Frazier, but all the other young guys to see who is really ready once we get out against Utah State, and who needs a little more time. We learned a lot today, and it'll be good for us going into game plan.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."