Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Stewart Mandel's Post-Spring Rankings

Ogre

Stewart Mandel's Post-Spring Rankings
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »
I'll list just the SEC teams.  For the full article, click here.

Georgia exits spring as No. 1

I've been writing these end-of-spring power rankings for several years now, and for once, I actually feel confident that I know what I'm talking about.

Why? Because the unprecedented amount of coverage surrounding spring football these days -- televised spring games, Saturday-night highlights and near-daily stories in certain parts of the country -- means that what takes place during those 15 practices is no longer top-secret information. (Except at Alabama, of course.)

On the pages that follow, you'll find a brief recap of developments that took place during each team's spring camp, as well as a "spring star" -- a young player or career reserve that turned heads during practices/scrimmages and will likely make an impact in the fall.

It's no coincidence, by the way, that my colleague Andrew Perloff's recent 2009 NFL mock draft included a whole bunch of players from Ohio State and USC and a No. 1 overall pick from Georgia. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that those three teams are absolutely loaded heading into this season and therefore sit atop this poll, but I certainly wouldn't sneeze at Missouri, LSU, Oklahoma or Florida, either.

1.  Georgia Bulldogs (11-2 in 2007)
Returning starters: 17 (Offense: 8 Defense: 9)

Key returnees: QB Matthew Stafford, RB Knowshon Moreno, DT Geno Atkins, LB Danell Ellerbe, CB Asher Allen.

Spring star: RB Caleb King. The redshirt freshman was impressive in Georgia's spring game and should provide a nice complement to Moreno in the fall.

Spring recap: Stafford, entering his third season, showed continued development, and may have found a new go-to receiver in freshman Tavarres King. (Stud recruit A.J. Green also arrives in the fall.) LB Rennie Curran drew consistent praise from coach Mark Richt.

5.  LSU Tigers (12-2)
Returning starters: 12 (Offense: 7 Defense: 5)

Key returnees: WRs Brandon LaFell and Demetrius Byrd, DE Tyson Jackson, DT Ricky Jean Francois, LB Darry Beckwith.

Spring star: RB Richard Murphy. The sophomore exploded for 145 yards on 11 carries in the spring game, though Keiland Williams is the expected No. 1 tailback.

Spring recap: The overriding storyline of LSU's spring was the absence of suspended QB Ryan Perrilloux, who has since been reinstated. The Tigers' offensive line is shaping up to be dominant. Coach Les Miles is still looking for two reliable cornerbacks.

7.  Florida Gators (9-4)
Returning starters: 16 (Offense: 8 Defense: 8)

Key returnees: QB Tim Tebow, WRs Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy, LB Brandon Spikes, S Major Wright.

Spring star: DE Carlos Dunlap. The sophomore asserted himself as Florida's next great pass-rusher, notching four sacks in the Gators' spring game.

Spring recap: The Tebow-led passing game looked explosive as ever. RBs Chris Rainey and Emmanuel Moody showed big-play potential but lack consistency. Coach Urban Meyer cited the secondary as the most improved area on the team.

9.  Auburn Tigers (9-4)
Returning starters: 15 (Offense: 8 Defense: 7)

Key returnees: QB Kodi Burns, RBs Ben Tate and Brad Lester, DE Antonio Coleman, DT Sen'Derrick Marks.

Spring star: WR Terrell Zachary. The sophomore, who was ineligible for most of last season, showed signs of becoming a big-time playmaker.

Spring recap: Burns made strides in new coordinator Tony Franklin's spread offense, going 26-of-36 for 355 yards in his last two scrimmages. The Tigers are still adjusting to playing at a hurry-up tempo. LB Tray Blackmon emerged as a leader on defense.

12.  Tennessee Volunteers (10-4)
Returning starters: 14 (Offense: 8 Defense: 6)

Key returnees: RB Arian Foster, WR Lucas Taylor, G Anthony Parker, S Eric Berry.

Spring star: WR Gerald Jones. The athletic sophomore merited his own package -- "the G-Gun" -- in which he lines up at QB and can throw or run.

Spring recap: The Vols adjusted to eight new assistants, most notably offensive coordinator Dave Clawson, who experimented with both Jones and Berry in the shotgun. Jonathan Crompton looks ready to take over for Erik Ainge at QB.

24.  Alabama Crimson Tide (7-6)
Returning starters: 15 (Offense: 9 Defense: 6)

Key returnees: QB John Parker Wilson, RB Terry Grant, T Andre Smith, S Rashad Johnson.

Spring star: WR Mike McCoy. The junior, who caught six balls for 101 yards in the spring game, could step into the go-to role vacated by D.J. Hall.

Spring recap: Wilson looked sharp in the spring game, with Grant stepping up in the passing attack. Several promising youngsters provided depth for the D-line. The status of LBs Prince Hall (suspension) and Zeke Knight (illness) are up in the air.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

Re: Stewart Mandel's Post-Spring Rankings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
Georgia has a lot of talent in Stafford and Moreno. Two key positions. If they can handle the preseason hype and keep the focus on one game at a time, they have the tools to do it.

Same with Florida and LSU. The pieces are there.
Florida and Georgia will play for the east and I think Georgia gets in.
The west is a mess. I see Alabama, Auburn and LSU very close. LSU might edge into the SEC game on talent alone. I know they lost Bo but unless Miles really fucks it up, they are still solid. The only thing that can throw that out is if either Bama has a run of luck, because right now we have to many holes in our team depth wise and we will be young at a few positions, or Auburn gets in tune with the new offense quickly. Auburn's O'line is the key to much of the success and Burns is going to have to play his ass off and play smart. If that happens you could get in. . LSU has it talent wise but they'll begin to start slipping up soon. It's a very good chance that starts happening this year.

All three west teams have enough questions of their own to answer for and each has just as good a chance as the other, which ever one can get it together early and hold the momentum will have their chance to try and give Georgia all they can handle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
I'm sorry, but I just don't see LSU or Florida with any less than 3 losses this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »
LSU ...lost Bo

This will help them, not hurt them.

unless When one of Miles fuck ups finally catches up with him.

A little closer to the truth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »
This will help them, not hurt them.

A little closer to the truth.

I stand corrected sir!       :clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
There are more than three teams in the West.  I wouldn't write off my Hogs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:48:02 AM »
There are more than three teams in the West.  I wouldn't write off my Hogs.

He wasn't writing them off.  He just mistakenly listed Alabama in lieu of Arkansas.  Easy to understand since bama stole Arkansas's script A.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

BLS

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
He wasn't writing them off.  He just mistakenly listed Alabama in lieu of Arkansas.  Easy to understand since bama stole Arkansas's script A.

Hogwally, I think Arky has a year to build and get the staff messed. Next year is when we'll start seeing you guys taking shape. I'm not saying  the Hogs won't pull out some wins this year, that's a given. You guys just have a year or so to catch up. Petrino will add another quality coaching staff to the already tough SEC.

Saniflush that fucking script A sucks. I wish we would quite using it.
LSU would like to have their Tiger back.  :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
LSU would like to have their Tiger back. 

"The ocean called and said they are out of shrimp."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »
"The ocean called and said they are out of shrimp."
Oh yeah?  Well, the jerk store called and they are running out of you!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
Oh yeah?  Well, the jerk store called and they are running out of you!

Wooooo...you told him.  He's reeling right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »
     I am usually accused of drinking the pork flavored kool-aid, but I don't think we're going to be down nearly as much as some believe.  If I was an Alabama fan (thank you baby Jesus and Tom Cruise for not inflicting that on me), I wouldn't be chalking the trip to Fayetteville up in the easy win column.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 08:41:50 AM »
I actually agree with Hogwally.  Arky should have a good O line, and the RB Smith doesn't look to shabby.  And looking at post spring tng results, you can see that Dick can throw the ball.  That's something that Nutt couldn't figure out.  Petrino will be tough to beat starting this year.  I do hope that Tubbs lights his ass up though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 09:01:44 AM »
     I am usually accused of drinking the pork flavored kool-aid, but I don't think we're going to be down nearly as much as some believe.  If I was an Alabama fan (thank you baby Jesus and Tom Cruise for not inflicting that on me), I wouldn't be chalking the trip to Fayetteville up in the easy win column.

I'm sure Bama fans feel the same way. We're happy that you’re blessed in such a way.

The shape Bama is in right now, no win will come easy. One great recruiting class does not make a team. We are about two years from being serious contenders in the SEC, on a consistent basis. I do believe that the way things have shaken up in the west this year that Auburn, Alabama and LSU have the best shot at it.

Could the Hogs luck up and get in the SEC? Sure but in my opinion, I think Petrino will need a year to get things ironed out. I just feel like Bama Auburn and LSU have a better chance to make it happen.
Yes, you may beat Alabama this year. It was a close game last year. I look for us to be a little better than we were then. At least I hope we will be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 08:29:43 AM »
I would never count out an offense coached by Petrino in the College ranks.  I just don't know what kind of D they will actually have this year, but if it is decent, they WILL surprise several teams this fall.  I just hope Auburn is not one of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tidesucksass

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
I would never count out an offense coached by Petrino in the College ranks.  I just don't know what kind of D they will actually have this year, but if it is decent, they WILL surprise several teams this fall.  I just hope Auburn is not one of them.

Tubbs never really tried to stick it to the pigs because he is from there. Win, yes. Humiliate, no.

But he and the new sheriff out there are not exactly best friends. So I think he will keep the pedal pressed all the way down until the forth quarter is finished.

Love for the state of Arkansas < Hate for Petrino
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
Yes he's always taken it kind of easy on the hogs, with his 6-7 record against them.  Probably a good thing, if he didn't like Ark so much, he may have gotten that record all the way up to .500 and really embarrassed us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
Yes he's always taken it kind of easy on the hogs, with his 6-7 record against them.  Probably a good thing, if he didn't like Ark so much, he may have gotten that record all the way up to .500 and really embarrassed us.

Now you're gettin' the picture.  Don't make us go all .500 on your ass. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tidesucksass

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 12:39:37 AM »

Which UA boards do you post on ?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 08:48:42 AM »
Tubbs never really tried to stick it to the pigs because he is from there. Win, yes. Humiliate, no.

But he and the new sheriff out there are not exactly best friends. So I think he will keep the pedal pressed all the way down until the forth quarter is finished.

Love for the state of Arkansas < Hate for Petrino

I doubt highly that even Petrino will reach the hated heights of Jackie Sherrill during Tubs first couple of years.  I enjoyed every touchdown that was called with time running out during his tenure at Mississippi St.

<wipes tear from eye>
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions