Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Electrical Question

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Electrical Question
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
The ground wire for my driver side tail light is apparently insufficient for the current that the wire is supposed to carry.  Based on what I could find on the web, this is a common problem with this model of car.  The end result is this (although this is not a picture of my particular connector):

One solution on a forum is to splice into the ground wire and connect a "secondary" ground to a metal tab that operates as a ground.  Here is the illustrative image for that fix:

Now, my question is, why just splice the ground wire?  Why not just reroute the entire wire to that tab, and not have the ground wire included in the 8 pin connector plug?

The reason I ask is because the connector plug has been damaged enough so that there is no plastic insulation between the ground wire and the other wires.  The other wires are fine as far as being insulated from each other; it's just where the ground wire goes that no longer has insulated "walls" in the connector plug.  It would be easier to just remove the ground wire from the connector and have it attached to the tab.  Otherwise, I'd have to get a new connector plug, reinsert all wires (including the ground), and then splice the ground.

Any thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Told you about those electric cars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »
Told you about those electric cars.

Whatever...driving around in my Prius is awesome.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with your finger?  It looks like an elephant finger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:40 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with your finger?  It looks like an elephant finger.

I'm not sure...like I said:

The end result is this (although this is not a picture of my particular connector):
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:30:45 AM »

+

in

=

problem solved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:23 AM »
I bet if you replaced your taillights with energy efficient, yet radioactive, LED's it would solve your problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »

+

in

X

+

=

problem solved.

You forgot a part of the equation, also it can be solved with or without the packing peanuts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:15:11 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »
I bet if you replaced your taillights with energy efficient, yet radioactive, LED's it would solve your problem.

Actually, it would, but I have no interest in taking the time or spending the money to buy aftermarket tail lights and replacing the entire assembly for both sides.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »
Actually, it would, but I have no interest in taking the time or spending the money to buy aftermarket tail lights and replacing the entire assembly for both sides.
Seriously, what do you drive?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »

This:

and he does a lot of walking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:44 AM »

2002 325i
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
You forgot a part of the equation, also it can be solved with or without the packing peanuts.

I left those out on purpose so the ATF, FBI, CIA, Homeland Security could not say that I told him exactly how to make a bomb.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »
I left those out on purpose so the ATF, FBI, CIA, Homeland Security could not say that I told him exactly how to make a bomb.
More of a motlov cocktail ...no?!?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
More of a motlov cocktail ...no?!?

Get with the times. 
They are all bombs now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »
2002 325i

:drevil:
I don't really think this is highfalutin just always wanted to use this smiley
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:59:34 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
:drevil:
I don't really think this is highfalutin just always wanted to use this smiley

It's just my weekend car.  I ride in on an Ent during the week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »
Get with the times. 
They are all bombs now. 

They actually call them WMDs now. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

chinook

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
Now, my question is, why just splice the ground wire?  Why not just reroute the entire wire to that tab, and not have the ground wire included in the 8 pin connector plug?

The reason I ask is because the connector plug has been damaged enough so that there is no plastic insulation between the ground wire and the other wires.  The other wires are fine as far as being insulated from each other; it's just where the ground wire goes that no longer has insulated "walls" in the connector plug.  It would be easier to just remove the ground wire from the connector and have it attached to the tab.  Otherwise, I'd have to get a new connector plug, reinsert all wires (including the ground), and then splice the ground.

Any thoughts? 

If I understand you correctly, your solution should work fine.  The problem is your ground wire carrying the current for all of the lights in your assembly.  It's a common ground for all of the lights.  Pull it out of the connector (or cut it) and reroute to prevent further melting and potential damage. 

2002 325i

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand