Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Xbox1

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Xbox1
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »

Technology company AMD (supplier of graphics hardware for the Xbox 360) is claiming that the Xbox 360's successor will be capable of producing the kind of visual detail seen in James Cameron's Avatar, as reported on examiner.com via the August issue of Official Xbox Magazine US.

Cramming the kind of technology it took to render every frame of the eyeball-searing Avatar into a console within the next year or so sounds impossible, but AMD is claiming the next Xbox will launch with this within reach.

AMD would not confirm it was actually working on the next Xbox but director of ISV relationships at AMD, Neal Robison, has said that gamers have a lot to be excited about. Beyond visual fidelity Robison claims that the AI and physics capabilities of the next generation will allow for every pedestrian in an open-world title like GTA or Saints Row to be an individual character with a unique personality. This would mean NPCs would react in a whole host of new and different ways to in-game actions.

Of course, this is far from the first time this sort of hyperbole has been tossed out into the public. Gamers have been teased with promises of Toy Story graphics for the PS2 and Toy Story 2 graphics for the original Xbox before.
 [/i]

We shall see 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:20:39 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: 720 in the pipeline????
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
Blu Ray already does this. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
Blu Ray already does this.

PS does not do this for games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
PS does not do this for games.

It could if it wanted to.  But who wants this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
It could if it wanted to.  But who wants this?

You say it could but yet there is no proof with there being a game. 

If they had this capability why in God's green Earth would they not utilize the technology?  The entire XBox/microsoft community would be theirs for the taking.  I'll tell you why because they can't do it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »

If they had this capability why in God's green Earth would they not utilize the technology?  The entire XBox/microsoft community would be theirs for the taking.  I'll tell you why because they can't do it.
Sony needs to stick to making overpriced TV's and CD Players, and stay out of the data processing business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »

If consoles were Transformers, my PS3 would be Optimus Prime.  All XBoxes would be Wheelie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
If consoles were Transformers, my PS3 would be Optimus Prime.  All XBoxes would be Wheelie.

T-Rex likes PS. 
I rest my case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »

So you're saying that optimus prime is easily hacked?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
So you're saying that optimus prime is easily hacked?

*snicker*
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »

Technology company AMD (supplier of graphics hardware for the Xbox 360) is claiming that the Xbox 360's successor will be capable of producing the kind of visual detail seen in James Cameron's Avatar, as reported on examiner.com via the August issue of Official Xbox Magazine US.

Cramming the kind of technology it took to render every frame of the eyeball-searing Avatar into a console within the next year or so sounds impossible, but AMD is claiming the next Xbox will launch with this within reach.

AMD would not confirm it was actually working on the next Xbox but director of ISV relationships at AMD, Neal Robison, has said that gamers have a lot to be excited about. Beyond visual fidelity Robison claims that the AI and physics capabilities of the next generation will allow for every pedestrian in an open-world title like GTA or Saints Row to be an individual character with a unique personality. This would mean NPCs would react in a whole host of new and different ways to in-game actions.

Of course, this is far from the first time this sort of hyperbole has been tossed out into the public. Gamers have been teased with promises of Toy Story graphics for the PS2 and Toy Story 2 graphics for the original Xbox before.
 [/i]

We shall see

Well, I guess it would depend upon where this detail is seen during the game.  Cut scenes?  Yeah, that's entirely possible.  Pre-fabricated animations that occur during the course of the game and do not rely upon current actions within the gameplay?  Definitely.

But that type of detail throughout the entire game?  Making the entire game look like a movie of Avatar proportions?  Probably not.

Your average blu-ray movie is on a dual layer disc.  Some shorter movies may be on single layer discs, but because a movie is between 20GB to 40GB for blu-ray quality, they usually require the dual layer discs.  These discs hold up to 50GB of data, so it would seem like you can't have the visual quality of a movie and the complexity of game programming on one disc.

But blu-ray was made to be future proof.  I'm not sure how many layers they've successfully tested, but the purpose behind the blu-ray disc was to allow the number of disc layers to increase over the years.  Of course, this would require that players be updated to read three layer, four layer, etc. discs, but the room for expansion is there.  When blu-ray was created, it was suggested that creating multi-layer discs with capacities of 100GB to 200GB would be easily attainable.

So as far as being able to store the data required for the complex programming and the in-depth visuals, that is already a possibility.  This assumes, of course, that the new XBox is switching to blu-ray game discs, and that they're going to use multi-layer discs that have yet to be seen.  If they're not switching to blu-ray discs for games, then I don't see how they're going to get that type of quality, because I don't think they're going to have enough storage space for high quality graphics and intense programming.

The biggest hurdle is going to be the processing speed to keep up with all of this.  I don't know what kind of fucking HAL 9000 shit AMD has cooked up, but they're claiming it's awesome.  I doubt it will work as they claim, because for those types of graphics in actual gameplay, they would have to be rendered as you played.  And rendering Avatar'esque graphics took quite a lot.  I think an article I read awhile back stated that 40 computers and thousands of CPUs were used just to render the movie.  You can't fit that type of processing power into a gaming console, at least not right now.

So, my assumption is that the cut scenes and some in-game static animations will be of Avatar quality.  I don't think they'll be able to render characters and scenery throughout gameplay with that level of detail.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »
Custom hardware dev kits for the next Xbox will be shipped to leading developers and publishers by the end of the year, according to a new report.

Citing a "source," the generally reliable Edge Magazine reports developers like Ubisoft Montreal are working on 'target boxes' based on Microsoft's intended specifications for its new machine.

The target boxes, which have been sent to top publishers like EA and Ubisoft, are basically PCs featuring components that aspire to the new machine's specs. Edge says that "AMD is providing the bespoke GPU solution for Microsoft's console."

Microsoft is now replacing these with new dev kits. The story is fueling speculation that the new Xbox will be available at retail by the end of 2012.

So giving most of the developers less than year to come out with stuff? nah.. fall 2013, i'm guess'n
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

So giving most of the developers less than year to come out with stuff? nah.. fall 2013, i'm guess'n

The recent videos regarding the Kinect's upcoming possibilities got me to thinking...

What if they intend on releasing the 720 as something more than just a gaming console?  What if they want to spend a year pimping out the every day applications (both personal and professional) while the developers work on games?

Sure, gamers who don't want the console for anything else will be pissed...but maybe they're trying to broaden the brand's areas of usage by effectively forcing those who want the system and who buy it as soon as it comes out to use it for something other than games, at least for awhile?

It would be a risky business move, as you would temporarily alienate your core audience, but it's a remote possibility in my mind...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »
CNET says it has a source within the Xbox team that has confirmed an earlier report by Develop that the next Xbox will hit in 2013.

This tidbit is buried within a larger report saying that Dan Coyner, the leader of the Xbox design and experience group has found a new position within the company. Coyner has been involved in the branding, design, and marketing of both Xbox systems – including the overall user experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Granted by by the USPTO on Dec. 27, Microsoft's new patent allows for the DVR capabilities for a game console:

By way of example and not limitation, in one aspect, a digital video recorder (DVR) application allows users to record media content on a gaming console. The DVR application also integrates itself with the console menu. Once integrated, users can record media content while playing games (or they can record content at other times also). The recorded content can include television programming, gaming experience (whether local or online), music, DVDs, and so on. Users are also given various choices when it comes to DVR, such as choosing resource allocation for recording of content and for system performance.

The patent outlines recording TV, video, music, games, or basically any multimedia content onto the Xbox. That's great. No more extra peripherals. No more recording dongles. Soon we'll all be recording our kill shots and speed runs directly to our Xboxes.

In Europe, PlayStation 3 owners have had the "PlayTV" accessory that turns the console into a DVR. Similarly, in Japan an official Sony device called the "Torne" also attaches to the PS3 to provide DVR features. Whereas these solutions are external plug-in devices, Microsoft's new patent is for console with integrated DVR.

There's only one thing that we don't know, and that is whether or not the very next Xbox will have the DVR function ready. Not all patents are realized, or realized in time for the next-gen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
Sounds like they're essentially making a hybrid between a PC and gaming console.

Bringing the capabilities of a PC into the user-friendly format of a console.  Pretty smart move, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »
Sounds like they're essentially making a hybrid between a PC and gaming console.

Bringing the capabilities of a PC into the user-friendly format of a console.  Pretty smart move, IMO.

I think that is the endgame. 
As an old PC gamer I gotta think that's the next logical step. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »

Sweet, does this mean they will be rereleasing Wolfenstein?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »

Especially considering that both Xbox and Playstation have been vying to make their consoles more than just gaming consoles, and are attempting to make them the centerpiece of every home's entertainment system.

The only way you're going to be able to do that is to make the console have more functions and more flexibility; making it more like a PC is the only logical way of doing that, especially when the parent company is Microsoft.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »
Sweet, does this mean they will be rereleasing Wolfenstein?

They remade it in 2001 for the PC, PS2, and Xbox.  Pretty fun game.

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/wolfenstein

Then another sequel came out in 2009.  This one was available on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.  I never played this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_%282009_video_game%29

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions