Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

BBQ Tour

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
BBQ Tour
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
Here at work, we're members of a listserve of trail lawyers around the State, where we bounce ideas off each other and ask super secret legal questions to the group.  Today, one guy had an off topic question for the group where he has decided to embark on a journey around the State to find the best BBQ dives.  Like, Big Harry's Pork Butt Emporium off County 47....stuff like that.  He was soliciting suggestions.  No franchise or big name restaurants.  Just that local hole in the wall that blows them all away.

Any suggestions I could pass along?  And by the way...if I wouldn't weigh 386 pounds afterward, I would love to do something like that.  In addition, I'd love to take a "Seafood dive" tour. 

I'm hungry. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: BBQ Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
I would suggest that he try Woody's Barbecue in Trussville if he makes it up this way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
13th Street BBQ in Phenix City. Their Pork Chop Sandwich is on the "100 Things to Eat in Alabama Before You Die" List.

Chester's BBQ in Columbus (GA). Best ribs Ive ever eaten from a resturaunt. Better than Dreamland IMHO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
Saw's BBQ in downtown Homewood.  Best in Birmingham, IMO.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »

Great choice.  Also, if he comes all the way up to Trussville, he needs to try Big Boltons in Springville.  It is owned by Mike Bolton who still does the outdoors columns in the Birmingham News.  The man knows his BBQ.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:15 AM »

I will check this out. Although I am usually weary of "Big City BBQ" unless its Memphis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Ogre

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
I will check this out. Although I am usually weary of "Big City BBQ" unless its Memphis.

Saw's is anything but 'big city.'  It's a hole-in-the-wall that seats maybe 25 people.  No frills dining at it's best.  You won't be disappointed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
Saw's is anything but 'big city.'  It's a hole-in-the-wall that seats maybe 25 people.  No frills dining at it's best.  You won't be disappointed.

Outstanding.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
If he ever makes it as far North as Limestone County, then he needs to hit "Mr. Crite's" west of Athens.  Hole in the wall, seats 12 people.  Best damn spares I have ever had and his chicken and pulled pork could possibly be the best restaurant chicken or pork I have ever had.  Thomas Pit BBQ and Chuckwagon in Madison are also great.  Thomas Pit has good all around food and the best sides.  Chuckwagon's brisket is to kill for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:19:47 PM »
If he ever makes it as far North as Limestone County, then he needs to hit "Mr. Crite's" west of Athens.  Hole in the wall, seats 12 people.  Best damn spares I have ever had and his chicken and pulled pork could possibly be the best restaurant chicken or pork I have ever had.  Thomas Pit BBQ and Chuckwagon in Madison are also great.  Thomas Pit has good all around food and the best sides.  Chuckwagon's brisket is to kill for.

Gawwdamnit AUT1. Quit fucking up BBQ threads talking about tough cow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
Pppfffffttttttttt.  I will gladly take a properly cooked brisket over ribs or chicken any day. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
Unfortunately, I have very few suggestions from down in my area.  There's no BBQ in this town that makes you say, "Damn, that is some fine Q". 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Ogre

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I have very few suggestions from down in my area.  There's no BBQ in this town that makes you say, "Damn, that is some fine Q".

C'mon now...you have Larry's! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »
C'mon now...you have Larry's!

So did you.  Exactly my point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
So did you.  Exactly my point.

larry's is the shit.  Oh wait a minute.
I have heard that the place outside of Troy on 231 is good shit, but have not eaten there.
If in Birmingham, Miss Myra's, saw your concern about big city BBQ, but it is the shit.  Been around for 20 -30 years building looks like it's straight out of Enterprise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Gawwdamnit AUT1. Quit effing up BBQ threads talking about tough cow.

I have waited in line out the door and around the corner at the Chucwagon so I can get a plate of brisket and sit with complete strangers because there isn't an empty table and I will vouch that there is nothing tough about that piece of cow. 

I love his beans also.  The guy has a big cutting board that he individually uses to portion up the brisket, pork, sausage (he also has killer smoked sausage), and chicken.  All the little trimming left on his board gets raked into the bean pot simmering right beside him.  By the end of the lunch hour ordering brisket with beans get you a half a plate of beef and half a plate of a rich sauce full of simmered down pieces of critter with about three beans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 01:19:40 AM »
I have waited in line out the door and around the corner at the Chucwagon so I can get a plate of brisket and sit with complete strangers because there isn't an empty table and I will vouch that there is nothing tough about that piece of cow. 

I love his beans also.  The guy has a big cutting board that he individually uses to portion up the brisket, pork, sausage (he also has killer smoked sausage), and chicken.  All the little trimming left on his board gets raked into the bean pot simmering right beside him.  By the end of the lunch hour ordering brisket with beans get you a half a plate of beef and half a plate of a rich sauce full of simmered down pieces of critter with about three beans.

^^This^^

Explains it perfectly. He has a damn good business going, good food, lots of it and not a bad price for what you get. 

I mentioned Thomas Pit earlier.  Mr. Thomas (The grandson who is now 60'ish) sold it last week and has officially retired.  I don't know what it will be like under new ownership.  I will probably wait a few months and go check it out once the new owners have taken completely over and see what it's like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »

The piece you ate may not have been, but anatomically speaking, yes THAT is a tough part of the cow in general. Why do you think the shit is cooked for 20 fucking hours?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
The piece you ate may not have been, but anatomically speaking, yes THAT is a tough part of the cow in general. Why do you think the shit is cooked for 20 fucking hours?

Another misnomer about brisket.  You don't have to cook it that long and sometimes not as long as pork.  Look at Myron Mixon, 3 time world champion bbq'er and has made more money in competition than anyone.  He speed cooks, it takes him 4 hours to cook a 12 to 14 lb brisket and he wins in that category all the time.  Pretty sure that his is cooked to about as close to perfection as you can get one.

I have cooked a 12lb brisket in a little over 12 hours by bumping the heat up to 275 and wrapping it in foil and it was perfect.   I have cooked 10lb Butts at 285 that took me 15 to 16 hours to finish off.  Depends on the animal it came from fist and foremost, but I have never got a bad brisket from Sam's in Huntsville.  Inject that bad boy with some Creole butter, rub it down, cook it up and you will be asking for seconds.

People that don't like brisket b/c it's "Texas BBQ" or they are "Southern Purist" need to get over their way of thinking.  A properly done brisket is delicious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
The piece you ate may not have been, but anatomically speaking, yes THAT is a tough part of the cow in general. Why do you think the poop is cooked for 20 effing hours?

Doesn't matter to me how tough it is when it is raw, I don't eat it that way.  I did a brisket for the 4th.  On the smoker for 5 hours, wrap of foil and in the oven at 225 for 5 hours.  Like butter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.