Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

William Ming....discussing his "Bump" with Coach $

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
William Ming....discussing his "Bump" with Coach $
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:09:04 PM »
"When we talked back on A-Day, Coach Saban said that since head coaches can't go to the schools in the spring, he had been working on video conferencing."

Saban put the technology to use on Tuesday afternoon.

"Coach Cignetti came by the school on Tuesday and that afternoon we set up a video conference where I was able to talk to Coach Saban," Ming says. "He talked to me about how I can help at Alabama. He thinks it's a good fit for me.

(Premium Content...must have membership....which I don't, but I know someone that does)
http://www.tiderinsider.com/inside/football/recruiting/updates/080424-wm.html

That's an NCAA Violation....since Coaches, and now Head Coaches, aren't supposed to have more than just a simple conversation...meaning, they're NOT supposed to be there to Recruit the prospect(s).

Also, the NCAA bylaw clearly states that:

Coaching Staff Member Contacting Prospect through Video Conference: (I) The NCAA Division I Management Council used its authority set forth in NCAA Constitution 5.4.1.2.1.5 to reverse a previous Council-approved official interpretation and agreed that it is permissible for an institution's coaching staff member to engage in face-to-face contact with a prospect via video conference, provided such contact counts as a recruiting contact and occurs during a permissible contact period. [References: NCAA Bylaws 13.4.2 (video/audio materials) and 13.02.3 (contact)]

This is NOT a permissible recruiting contact period for ANY Coach, aside for Telephone Calls.  Coach $ is clearly breaking the rules and he is telling the NCAA to FUCK OFF....I can do what I want, I make the Rules.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:54:39 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Re: William Ming....descussing his "Bump" with Coach $
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:38:58 PM »
So, how and when will this grow legs?   Very interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: William Ming....descussing his "Bump" with Coach $
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
I'm thinking it already has.....regarding the NCAA.  But IMO, the NCAA is probably taking Everything that has happened in just this Past Year and making sure that all T's are crossed and all I's are dotted, before they make thier case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Re: William Ming....discussing his "Bump" with Coach $
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
I'm not going to get my hopes up. 

It's shady as hell on Saban's part, but this will get swept under the rug. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
Seriously, how much shit gets swept under the rug before someone notices the fucking lump....

This is getting ridiculous. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
Boo fucking hoo, ladies.

Even if this 'grows legs', it at most is a secondary violation.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
Let's see if it gets self reported then.  Since it's not big fucking deal Guano.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »
Boo fucking hoo, ladies.

Even if this 'grows legs', it at most is a secondary violation.

On the contrary...Guapo.  It's Very possible that this will be seen as a Major Violation, seeing as it is being done by the Coach whose name it has been affixed to, "$abban Rule"...and the Fact that it was started just Two Weeks ago, about the No Head Coach "bump" rule...so not only is Coach $ doing more than just bumping into a prospect or most likely prospects, he's getting his Assistant Coaches to do more than "bump" also.  The NCAA might see this as a Slap in the face....and I don't think they like getting slapped in the face by a midget of a Coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:13:19 PM »
Hey elnacho, do you spit, or does daddy sabear make you swallow?   :fu:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 07:50:55 AM »
Hey elnacho, do you spit, or does daddy sabear make you swallow?   :fu:

Personally, I swallow. I take it as my protein shot for the day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

BLS

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »
One things for sure he's not stupid, so I don't know what is going on. Sounds like head hunting for now.
I just don't see him purposely trying to antagonize the ncaa. As far as secondary, every school does it, every single one,every year. That's not worth the time to even complain about. It's for nothing.
It's certainly something to keep an eye on. I'll see if I can do a little digging today find out more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »

I had you pegged as a spitter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
According to the bham news this morning, the NCAA considers teleconferencing to be the same as a phone call.  A coach is allowed to make one phone call (or in this case teleconference) to a prospect during the spring while the prospect can call the coach or staff as often as he wants.  Pretty sure there is nothing illegal going on here.  This is one of those things like the text message deal where the NCAA has not thought through how coaches will use this to excess.  I imagine that after this year the teleconference will go the way of texting and be outlawed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau

• Judicial Chair
  • On a gravy train with biscuit wheels.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
Wait a second...

Coaches are allowed to do bumps with recruits?  Suh-weeeeeet.   

"Another blast of the Colombian marching powder,  Coach, and I'll commit right now, run the stairs 499 times and fuck every cheerleader on the squad...twice."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Life can really kick your ass.  I only have a vague recollection of when it wasn't kickin' mine.

BLS

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
According to the bham news this morning, the NCAA considers teleconferencing to be the same as a phone call.  A coach is allowed to make one phone call (or in this case teleconference) to a prospect during the spring while the prospect can call the coach or staff as often as he wants.  Pretty sure there is nothing illegal going on here.  This is one of those things like the text message deal where the NCAA has not thought through how coaches will use this to excess.  I imagine that after this year the teleconference will go the way of texting and be outlawed.

Right on the money. Nothing to it but, I agree ,it won't be around next year.
I don't know if Saban is deliberately pushing or just using the system as hard as possible? Maybe there is no difference? I don't know. I don't care for the ncaa anyway so Fuckem' 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

thats one way to start your day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 04:54:50 AM »
Here's more on the NCAA Rules:

13.02.3 Contact.
A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s parents, relatives or legal guardian(s) and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Any such face-to-face encounter that is prearranged (e.g., positions himself/herself in a location where contact is possible) or that takes place on the grounds of the prospective student-athlete’s educational institution or at the site of organized competition or practice involving the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s high school, preparatory school, two-year college or all-star team shall be considered a contact, regardless of whether any conversation occurs. However, an institutional staff member or athletics representative who is approached by a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s parents, relatives or legal guardian(s) at any location shall not use a contact, provided the encounter was not prearranged and the staff member or athletics representative does not engage in any dialogue in excess of a greeting and takes appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter.
(Revised: 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94)

13.02.4 Recruiting Periods.
13.02.4.1 Contact Period: A contact period is that period of time when it is permissible for authorized athletics department staff members to make in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts and evaluations.

13.02.4.2 Evaluation Period: An evaluation period is that period of time when it is permissible for authorized athletics department staff members to be involved in off-campus activities designed to assess the academic qualifications and playing ability of prospective student-athletes. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts shall be made with the prospective student-athlete during an evaluation period.

13.02.4.3 Quiet Period:  A quiet period is that period of time when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the member institution’s campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.

NCAA Recruiting Calender

(e) February 8 through April 14, 2008: Quiet Period
(f) April 15 through May 31, 2008,[except for (g) below]: Evaluation Period
(g) Those days in April/May not designated above for evaluation opportunities: Quiet Period

Four weeks (excluding Memorial Day and Sundays) selected at the discretion of the member institution and designated in writing in the office of the director of athletics [as provided in (1) below]:

(1) An authorized off-campus recruiter may use one evaluation to assess the prospective student-athlete's athletics ability and one evaluation to assess the prospective student-athlete's academic qualifications during this evaluation period). If an institution's coaching staff member conducts both an athletics and an academic evaluation of the prospective student-athlete on the same day during this evaluation period, the institution shall be charged with the use of an academics evaluation only and shall be permitted to conduct a second athletics evaluation of the prospective student-athlete on a separate day during this evaluation period

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/home?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/Legislation+and+Governance/Eligibility+and+Recruiting/Recruiting/Recruiting+Calendars/2007-08/Division+I+Football+Recruiting+Calendar
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »
Unless I'm reading that shit wrong, big possibility there, what I get is as long as they use this period for eval
And designate it for that, they can allow the recruiter to visit. Not the head coach. From my understanding Ming was given the web addy to log in and talk to Saban. Apparently the kid can call on his own dime as much as he wants. As long as he pays for the call and does the calling. Seems the ncaa has designated the logging on to the site the same as a phone call. That's the kicker here. They,ncaa, count it as just a phone call so that is how I interpret how it's legal. Sneaky or shifty but, seems legal. Like I said before. I don't know if he is purposely pushing it or just using every tool available. Is there a difference?

I don't see this being an option next year. They'll shut it down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »
I agree...It will probably be the "$abban Rule II" next year.  As for the By-Laws....it seems to me that they're contradicting themselves a bit.  First they say that the VC is considered a "Face-To-Face", then they say that it should be treated as a telephone call..Then they say it must be treated as a recruiting Contact (which by definition is a "Face-To-Face") and that it is only permissible during contact periods.  My head's going to explode...I'm not going to just go by the bham news and say...."nothing to see here...Scarbensky said so."  Because the rule that he added to his column wasn't complete, he added only One by-law number that deals with recruiting video/audio
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:48:36 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 02:54:03 PM »
Yea, the ncaa being contradictive to supporting players and having rules in place for the best interest of the players? Seems every year it gets more convoluted with new rules and shit getting add, subtracted. It does look very contradictive just reading a couple paragraphs.
 There are so many loopholes and by laws it makes me fucking sick looking at it.
That's the part of football that can turn a die-hard fan into a hater.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions