There.  Fixed it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: The Government, Morality, and Other Musings
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
So if no one else is in the car?

I call BS on seatbelt laws. TW - using that logic creates a very slippery slope in regulating society. Where does it end? California with certain foods kids can bring to school? It can get messy and intrusive if you let it.

If no one else is in the car, then their theory is that the seat belt allows you to maintain control of your car throughout an accident, at least moreso than if you were jolted away from the front seat and the car was allowed to continue onward without a driver.

In theory, I can see how that may happen, but I don't know that it occurs frequently enough to be a legitimate issue of concern.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
helmet laws suck
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
helmet laws suck

Weeerrrrrd.  When I'm riding my Hawg (Scooter) down to the Bar (Miss Lucille's) I want to be ridin' free and easy with the wind blowing through my hair (Balding dome).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
If no one else is in the car, then their theory is that the seat belt allows you to maintain control of your car throughout an accident, at least moreso than if you were jolted away from the front seat and the car was allowed to continue onward without a driver.

In theory, I can see how that may happen, but I don't know that it occurs frequently enough to be a legitimate issue of concern. 

That all sounds good, but seat belt laws are just another example of knee-jerk, reactionary, feel-good politics.  Gubme't Goons, no smarter than any of us, think they're doing something good for the ignorant masses who are deemed too stupid to wear their seatbelt without a government mandate.  It's a lot like smoking laws.  In their minds, we're too stupid to live our own lives without the gubm'et telling us what to do... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
Well, damn.  I was in a car wreck and would have died if I'd been wearing my seatbelt. 

That trumps Alicia.
I've seen people's brains in trees because they weren't wearing a seatbelt and were ejected. Had they been wearing a seatbelt, most of them would have been relatively unharmed. Six of one, half dozen of the other I suppose. I can go along with a seatbelt law, and helmet laws for motorcycles. I read an article the other day where there were some motorcyclists protesting New York's helmet law, and to protest they decided to ride around a town with no helmets. All was well until one of the guys hit his brakes too hard and flipped over the handlebars and died from head trauma. Of course, it's up for debate what is the exception and what is the rule.

I don't always wear my seatbelt, but I do believe they save lives. That's speaking from the standpoint of seeing 12 years worth of wrecks and working on patients involved in those wrecks. I mean, I'm allergic to Penicillin and it will fuck me up bad if I took it, but there are plenty of people that it helps. I guess that's how I look at that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
I always wear my seatbelt because I can't figure out which fuse to pull to make that stupid chime quit ringing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
I always wear my seatbelt because I can't figure out which fuse to pull to make that stupid chime quit ringing.

^^^THIS^^^

As a member of the US Armed Forces, if you die in a car wreck and weren't wearing your seatbelt, your life insurance doesn't pay.  That is the only reason that I wear mine.   I wouldn't want to rob my family of that money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions