Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Casey Anthony Contempt

Wincrimson

• Motorboatin' is muh hobby
Re: Casey Anthony Contempt
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »
I'm no Casey Anthony fan; but if I have a gun and three bullets and I just so happen to be locked in a room with her, Jeanine Pirro, Nancy Grace, and Jane Velez-Mitchell, I know the three that better duck.

Just hearing their voices makes me pray for their own abduction.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:13:44 AM by Wincrimson »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
I'm proud of you.  I really am!

I don't believe my opinion has ever really changed on this, but I'll still let you purchase my next fix. 

They screwed this up.  She could have been prosecuted on lessor crimes.  I was trying to extract that from the legal experts in this thread from the start, but that didn't go anywhere.  The legal pundits on the news shows identified at least a half dozen other charges that would have resulted in likely convictions putting her away for a while.  They weren't murder or manslaughter charges, but they would have been more appropriate to the evidence. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GarMan

« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
I'm no Casey Anthony fan; but if I have a gun and three bullets and I just so happen to be locked in a room with her, Jeanine Pirro, Nancy Grace, and Jane Velez-Mitchell, I know the three that better duck.

Just hearing their voices makes me pray for their own abduction.

Why waste the lead?  I'd rather beat most of them to death instead. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
I don't believe my opinion has ever really changed on this, but I'll still let you purchase my next fix. 

They screwed this up.  She could have been prosecuted on lessor crimes.  I was trying to extract that from the legal experts in this thread from the start, but that didn't go anywhere.  The legal pundits on the news shows identified at least a half dozen other charges that would have resulted in likely convictions putting her away for a while.  They weren't murder or manslaughter charges, but they would have been more appropriate to the evidence.

I believe if you go back, I answered you on the "lesser crimes" issue.  I believe, despite not having evidence of any intentional or reckless killing, they still could have gotten a conviction on Manslaughter.  While it wouldn't have been supported by the evidence, juries are human, and this jury WANTED Casey to pay, but they also were educated by the lawyers and judge on their legal duty, and they did follow that.  In general, juries want to compromise a lot of times.  But, they're rarely willing to compromise the law in order to convict on a capital crime.  Had they been given the opportunity to compromise down, I believe they would have.  That's just a hunch from past experience.  To be honest, and I don't know FL rules of court, but I'm shocked this judge even let it go to the jury on Capital Murder based on the lack of evidence.  But I understand he's pro prosecution. 

People that pop off with tough talk on the internet and such...that's fine.  I've seen Capital juries deliver verdicts on death penalty cases, some very heinous and violent crimes...they still are delivered with tears in many juror's eyes.  It's not natural for most decent people to be responsible for killing another human being, despite how bad that human being is...no juror delivers such a verdict with joy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »
Why waste the lead?  I'd rather beat most of them to death instead.

It would be more fun too. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »

She was charged with first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter of a child and four counts of providing false information to police.  What other lessor crimes did you want her to be charged with?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Wincrimson

• Motorboatin' is muh hobby
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »
She was charged with first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter of a child and four counts of providing false information to police.  What other lessor crimes did you want her to be charged with?

Manslaughter. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2011, 02:41:36 AM »

Actually, that was my question to the legal experts on the board.  According to the legal pundits on the various news shows, there could have been several other charges including manslaughter, neglect, negligence and quite possibly criminal negligence, although that would have been difficult to prove. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2011, 03:29:08 AM »
Actually, that was my question to the legal experts on the board.  According to the legal pundits on the various news shows, there could have been several other charges including manslaughter, neglect, negligence and quite possibly criminal negligence, although that would have been difficult to prove.

I'm not sure that they would have gotten any of those.  Manslaughter's a long shot because you don't have a cause of death.  Negligence is also a long shot because, if you don't have a cause of death, then you don't know whether negligence was a factor.  Also, you don't know whose negligence it would be, because you don't know when Caylee died and whose supervision she was under at the time.  Pretty much the same with neglect; you have to determine who failed to act.

In all likelihood, the child was with her at most times.  Was she with her at the time of death?  We can't show that she was, so any charge which requires her her to act or fail to act in the presence of her child can't be proven.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GarMan

« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
I'm not sure that they would have gotten any of those.  Manslaughter's a long shot because you don't have a cause of death.  Negligence is also a long shot because, if you don't have a cause of death, then you don't know whether negligence was a factor.  Also, you don't know whose negligence it would be, because you don't know when Caylee died and whose supervision she was under at the time.  Pretty much the same with neglect; you have to determine who failed to act.

In all likelihood, the child was with her at most times.  Was she with her at the time of death?  We can't show that she was, so any charge which requires her her to act or fail to act in the presence of her child can't be proven. 

I'm not going to get into this with you.  There are far more experienced legal analysts, former prosecutors and DAs who have commented on the subject.  But to throw some things out there, the last time that Caylee was seen alive was June 16th, 2008, and Casey didn't report her missing until July 15th.  It is also my understanding that death is not necessary to prove neglect, negligence and/or criminal negligence.  Now, I'm done with this... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
This thread is still going on?

#winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
I'm not going to get into this with you.  There are far more experienced legal analysts, former prosecutors and DAs who have commented on the subject.  But to throw some things out there, the last time that Caylee was seen alive was June 16th, 2008, and Casey didn't report her missing until July 15th.  It is also my understanding that death is not necessary to prove neglect, negligence and/or criminal negligence.  Now, I'm done with this...

No, you don't need death to prove neglect or negligence, but you do need proof of neglect or negligence.  The theory in this case would be that Caylee died due to neglect or negligence.  Otherwise, you have no other harm to the child which would prove neglect or negligence.  So when you can't show that a person was in the child's presence, you can't show that they failed to act to prevent their death, or that they carelessly acted and that this resulted in their death.  Without a cause of death, you don't know that the child was neglected and died as a result of this negligence; it could have been an intentional murder by the father, grandparents, or babysitter.

Now, not reporting her missing for 31 days?  It's possible to have charged her with child abandonment under Florida's child neglect statute, but again, with no cause of death or time of death, how do you find her guilty of that?  How do you know that she wasn't communicating with, or attempting to communicate with or find, her daughter during that 31 day period?  What if her daughter was already dead on day 1?  How do you convict someone of neglect against a dead person?

More importantly, you don't have to report a child missing to the police under current law.  This is why Kansas, Maryland, and other states are now looking into creating such a law.  So, as much as it may sound like neglect, under the current wording of Florida law, it isn't.

It sounds simple to say, "Well, if she's not guilty of murder, manslaughter, or abuse, then she has to be guilty of neglect," but that's not how it works.  You can't assume that she did or didn't do something to her daughter, and thus must be guilty of something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
 :dead:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions