Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Harvard Says So...

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Harvard Says So...
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
I love this.  They're so hellbent on derailing the 2012 election that they'll come up with anything.  It's hillarious when you think about it. 

Stay tuned for future studies from the Blame America crowd like...
- Work is Right-Wing
- Success is Greed
- Self-Reliance is Evil

Harvard: July 4th Parades Are Right-Wing
By Paul Bedard
Posted: June 30, 2011

Democratic political candidates can skip this weekend's July 4th parades. A new Harvard University study finds that July 4th parades energize only Republicans, turn kids into Republicans, and help to boost the GOP turnout of adults on Election Day.

"Fourth of July celebrations in the United States shape the nation's political landscape by forming beliefs and increasing participation, primarily in favor of the Republican Party," said the report from Harvard. [See political cartoons about the 2012 GOP field.]

"The political right has been more successful in appropriating American patriotism and its symbols during the 20th century. Survey evidence also confirms that Republicans consider themselves more patriotic than Democrats. According to this interpretation, there is a political congruence between the patriotism promoted on Fourth of July and the values associated with the Republican party. Fourth of July celebrations in Republican dominated counties may thus be more politically biased events that socialize children into Republicans," write Harvard Kennedy School Assistant Professor David Yanagizawa-Drott and Bocconi University Assistant Professor Andreas Madestam. [Enjoy political cartoons about President Obama.]

Their findings also suggest that Democrats gain nothing from July 4th parades, likely a shocking result for all the Democratic politicians who march in them. [Check out editorial cartoons about the Democrats.]

"There is no evidence of an increased likelihood of identifying as a Democrat, indicating that Fourth of July shifts preferences to the right rather than increasing political polarization," the two wrote.

The three key findings of those attending July 4th celebrations:

•When done before the age of 18, it increases the likelihood of a youth identifying as a Republican by at least 2 percent.
•It raises the likelihood that parade watchers will vote for a Republican candidate by 4 percent.
•It boosts the likelihood a reveler will vote by about 1 percent and increases the chances they'll make a political contribution by 3 percent.
What's more, the impact isn't fleeting. "Surprisingly, the estimates show that the impact on political preferences is permanent, with no evidence of the effects depreciating as individuals become older,"said the Harvard report.

Finally, the report suggests that if people are looking for a super-patriotic July 4th, though should head to Republican towns. "Republican adults celebrate Fourth of July more intensively in the first place."

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/06/30/harvard-july-4th-parades-are-right-wing
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Harvard Says So...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
Everybody knows that the Dems celebrate with AK's...not fireworks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Harvard Says So...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »
Here's a rebuttal:

So This Is What Being A Rightwinger Is All About?
Posted: July 2, 2011 by Edward von Bear

I know this was covered over at the Mothership, but the story about stupid lefties claiming Independence Day is a “Rightwing Holiday” brought some feelings simmering under the surface for a while to the surface. So, please let me address those who wish to claim this holiday is “Rightwing”

Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Freedomfuck you with the flying fuckeagle of freedom. Fuck you for your stupidity. Fuck you for trying to marginalize this most glorious of days in our nation’s history. Fuck you for trying to make me feel bad or reticent about celebrating our freedom. And moundfuck you forever for trying to imply that the greatness unleashed on the 4th of July and the Declaration of Independence are things to hide under a blanket and be ashamed of.

Thinking our rights are entitled by our Creator to be free and pursue life, liberty, and happiness are partisan? Enjoy being on the anti-entitlement side and historyfuck you with a fucksoaked quillpen.

Believing the governors must receive their authorization and consent from the governed is a bad thing and worthy of the same scorn you heap upon a person wanting lower taxes? CrossingFuck you across the Delaware.

Believing all men are created equal should be subected to a David Brock web-based hissy fit? Ask MLK and then fuck you with your shame and idiocy.

No, stupid fucking liberals, I fucking will not shrink from embracing the beauty and freedom encased in our Celebration of Independence. I will not fucking shy away from proclaiming my American-ness and the freedom it has birthed for the world. I will not demur to anyone who dares mock my love of all of the opportunities and potential perpetually unleashed by the Founding Fathers. And I will fucking not hide under a bushel basket the light of freedom and hope for the world, nor dismiss the sacrifices to secure said light, set in motion in 1776. I owe it to the future to keep the past alive and celebrated, and I will gooffuck you in your goatse with a gored gorilla’s goldenfuckstick anyone who dares to seek to dismiss our Independence as if it were an election commercial with a midget.

So fuck you, lefties. Go fuck you for truly hating everything so much you wish to ascribe everything to your opponents, go to hell, and get out of my celebration space.

http://doubleplusundead.com/2011/07/02/so-this-is-what-being-a-rightwinger-is-all-about/#more-3681
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions