Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Chip Kelly: AP Coach of the Year

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Chip Kelly: AP Coach of the Year
« on: July 01, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
You know, because the AP didn't want to award a cheater...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/07/oregon-will-lyles-ncaa-investigation-yahoo-sports/1

Will Lyles says Oregon paid him for 'my access and influence with recruits'
Comments 0By Erick Smith, USA TODAY
Updated 1m agoWill Lyles, who is at the center of the NCAA investigation of Oregon's football program, said in an interview to Yahoo! Sports that he was paid by the school for more than scouting reports.

Oregon has admitted paying Lyles $25,000 in connection with his company Complete Scouting Services.

Documents released by the school last month show it received outdated recruiting information from Lyles, who said Oregon coach Chip Kelly said "scrambled" in late February and asked Lyles to submit retroactive player profiles to justify payment.

"They said they just needed anything," Lyles told Yahoo! Sports. "They asked for last-minute [stuff]. So I gave them last-minute [stuff] … I gave them, like, old stuff that I still had on my computer because I never thought that stuff would see the light of day."

Lyles said he spoke to the NCAA for six hours in May.

"I look back at it now and they paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits," Lyles told Yahoo! Sports. "The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should … I made a mistake and I'm big enough of a man to admit I was wrong."

About a month before Oregon's payment to Lyles, running back Lache Seastrunk signed with the Ducks. Lyles has been described as having a mentoring relationship with Seastrunk. Lyles also attended an awards banquet last December as a guest of Oregon running back and Heisman Trophy candidate LaMichael James.

Lyles spoke in detail to Yahoo! Sports about working with Oregon to have Seastrunk's grandmother sign his letter of intent because his mother did not want him to attend school there.

Lyles also said he advised James to transfer to an Arkansas high school as a senior so that he would avoid taking a standardized test required to graduate in Texas.

Oregon spokesman Dave Williford would not comment on the specifics of Lyles statements.

"Our stance hasn't changed from our original statement," Williford told Yahoo! Sports. "We believe we did nothing wrong."

Kelly, who Yahoo! Sports said did not return their calls, defended his school's relationship in March during an interview with ESPN.com.

"Most programs purchase recruiting services," Kelly said. "Our compliance office is aware of it. Will has a recruiting service that met NCAA rules and we used him in 2010."

Good call on SEC Player of The Year, AD's...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:21:34 PM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Chip Kelly: AP Coach of the Year
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Boom goes the dynamite.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
Damn, that shit is Quack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
Damn, that shit is Quack.

Well played....I chortled.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Aubie16

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
I don't like seeing Trovon Reed's name mixed in there with Lache Seastrunk and the others. I'm hoping there is a very good reason we dropped Seastunk but kept recruiting Trovon.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that Trovon wasn't nearly as close with Lyles and Lyles didn't have any influence over him like he did with Lache.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
I don't like seeing Trovon Reed's name mixed in there with Lache Seastrunk and the others. I'm hoping there is a very good reason we dropped Seastunk but kept recruiting Trovon.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that Trovon wasn't nearly as close with Lyles and Lyles didn't have any influence over him like he did with Lache.
Didn't see Trovon's name in that article.

Anyone who read any premium articles when we were recruiting Seastrunk knows that Auburn one day just completely backed off Seastrunk with little or no explanation.

It was all "We're not at liberty to say. It wasn't anything he did, or anything Auburn did. Unfortunately he got himself involved in some things that Auburn wants no part in" type of messages.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:47:16 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »

Anyone who read any premium articles when we were recruiting Seastrunk knows that Auburn one day just completely backed off Seastrunk with little or no explanation.

It was all "We're not at liberty to say. It wasn't anything he did, or anything Auburn did. Unfortunately he got himself involved in some things that Auburn wants no part in" type of messages.

I think all of us wanted to believe at the time that it was our staff backing away from a potential problem.  I think now seeing how this staff has dealt with questionable situations I don't think it's a far stretch to think this is exactly what happened.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:48:44 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Aubie16

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »

It is in the original Yahoo article linked above.

Yeah I remember all that stuff with Lache and then staying on Reed...so I'm trusting the coaches that there was no reason to back off of Trovon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »
Yeah, it confused the shit out of me at the time, but in retrospect makes perfect sense.

And this was all pre-Auburn is the dirtiest program in the history of all of college football bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
Yeah, it confused the shit out of me at the time, but in retrospect makes perfect sense.

And this was all pre-Auburn is the dirtiest program in the history of all of college football bullshit.

That has to be a lie, we have been cheating since the early 80's according to all the bammers out there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »
That has to be a lie, we have been cheating since the early 80's according to all the bammers out there.

The lack of brushing their tooth makes them stoopied.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »

I remember this as well. It was a very strange thing because I think most Auburn fans thought he would be a Tiger after the first Big Cat weekend. Then......dust.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »
22-19

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
LSU fans/boosters are scrambling to quiet Seastrunk's mother....

Lyles said the issue became problematic when Seastrunk’s mother said she
wanted him to attend LSU.

“Lache came to me and said his mother was threatening him, saying she
wouldn’t sign his letter of intent unless he went to the school she told him to go to,” Lyles said.

In three paragraphs, Seastrunk conveys several personal issues, mentions
his mother’s legal issues and states his mother shouldn’t be allowed to sign his
letter of intent because, in part, “she is only worried about herself and what she
might be able to get from me going to school or playing in the pros.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/oregon_coach_chip_kelly_may_be.html

Chip Kelly may be a sitting Duck as Will Lyles blows the whistle on Oregon football
Published: Sunday, July 03, 2011, 5:30 AM
  By Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

Will Lyles (second from right) at the 2009 Florida-LSU game with (from left) Cassius Marsh (who later signed with UCLA), Trovon Reed (Auburn) and Lache Seastrunk (Oregon). Yahoo! Sports photo/Courtesy of Will Lyles

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Bruce Pearl, dead.

Jim Tressel, dead.

Chip Kelly?

The head Duck may be a sitting duck, too.

Professionally speaking.

The Oregon football coach may be the latest victim of the same kind of self-inflicted career wound as the former Tennessee basketball coach and the former Ohio State football coach.

Failure to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

That's the implication from the latest Yahoo! Sports investigative report detailing the relationship between Kelly, Oregon and Will Lyles, the alleged scouting service provider, academic adviser, letter-of-intent facilitator, street agent and third-party recruiter based in Houston.

There's a big difference between Friday's story and the one Yahoo! Sports ran in March, which reported that Oregon had paid Lyles and his Complete Scouting Services $25,000 shortly after Texas high school running back Lache Seastrunk, whom Lyles had mentored, signed with the Ducks.

This time, Lyles talked, at length and in detail, and he also provided all sorts of documents. Here's the money quote:

"I look back at it now, and they (Oregon) paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits," Lyles said. "The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should."

Say hello to unlucky NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14. That's the one that defines a booster. If the NCAA defines Lyles that way, Oregon better duck.

In the more than five hours of on-the-record interviews Lyles did with Yahoo! Sports, he didn't just throw Kelly and Oregon under the bus. He ran over them, backed over them and ran over them again.

Isn't it ironic?

Kevin Scarbinsky is a columnist for The Birmingham News. His column is published on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

Of the two head coaches in the last BCS Championship Game, it was Gene Chizik who had to answer questions in Arizona and beyond about an NCAA investigation. Of the two programs in that game, it was Auburn that supposedly was living under a cloud that would turn into a hailstorm at any moment.

Six months later, after beating him on the field, Chizik continues to get the better of Kelly. The Auburn coach is about to embark on a media tour to promote his new book, and he hasn't been shy about defending Cam Newton and the way the program recruited him.

Kelly, meanwhile, just took a direct hit on his personal integrity and professional reputation. Lyles said the coach himself approved the $25,000 payment from Oregon for Lyles' "services."

Auburn didn't escape mention in the Yahoo! Sports story, but nothing there implicated the Tigers in any potential NCAA violations.

They recruited Seastrunk for some time, but turned away from him long before signing day 2010. That could turn out to be the smartest recruiting decision Chizik and his staff have made.

The story says that Lyles took current Auburn wide receiver Trovon Reed, among others, on recruiting trips to Oregon and LSU, but there's no indication that Lyles took Reed on a visit to Auburn.

Taking a prospect on a recruiting trip alone isn't necessarily a violation. Oregon could get hammered by the NCAA because it paid Lyles, and if he's telling the truth, he provided a lot more than scouting reports in return.

In May, Auburn and Alabama provided The Birmingham News with a list of scouting services they've purchased in the last three years. Alabama said it paid $218,628 to 14 different services from 2008-09 through March of this year. Auburn said it paid $99,022 to 23 different services for the same time period.

Neither Alabama nor Auburn showed any payments to Lyles' Complete Scouting Services.

Both schools did pay Elite Scouting Services, where Lyles worked before venturing out on his own with CSS. Auburn paid ESS $4,500 in 2008-09. Alabama paid ESS $6,500 in 2008-09 and $5,000 in 2009-10.

But it's important to note that, when the NCAA asked Oregon in a March 4 letter for a "detailed accounting of the institution's financial records" related to Lyles and scouting services, it mentioned CSS by name, not ESS.

This isn't the first time Kelly's good name and character have been questioned. John Canzano, sports columnist for The Oregonian, wrote Friday that he'd asked Kelly in March about "Willie Lyles." Kelly said "he didn't know who Lyles was."

Later that same day, Yahoo! Sports reported that Oregon had paid $25,000 to Lyles' scouting service. Canzano contacted Kelly to clear up the coach's confusion. What did Kelly tell him?

"Around here, we call him Will."

Seriously?

The way this is heading, Kelly is going to learn the same lesson as Pearl and Tressel. Honesty isn't the best policy. It's the only policy.
Scarbinsky is about the only journalist we've got left in this state.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »
:popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
And it was only a few months ago you were sending hate e-mail to him about how dumb he was....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »

Translation: Auburn has the hammer coming. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »
And it was only a few months ago you were sending hate e-mail to him about how dumb he was....
IMO Scarbinsky is the only true two-sport journalist in this state and of a dying breed. He actually writes objectively.The others are merely credentialed bloggers. Scarb is good at his craft. I don't have to agree with him to respect his work or his take on things. He could do better with his skills but has settled here and slums it in the UA, AU, UAB fray. Just sayin.

Is there a statute of limitations on hammer threats?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions