Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Should he stay or should he go now...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Should he stay or should he go now...
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/patrick_murphy_reneges_on_deci.html

Weird.  Something stinks about this whole deal.  I know it's just softball, but there's a stench about it nonetheless.

Only three days after Patrick Murphy stunned the college softball world by announcing that he was leaving Alabama to become the head coach at LSU, there is stunning news today out of Baton Rouge, La.

Murphy has reneged on his decision to coach the Tigers, LSU has announced.

Seems like there was some shadowy deal back in the early part of his career about sex with assistants and players, but I might be imagining that.  Wonder if they threatened to take that public?

Tuscaloosa really is like the mafia in a lot of ways. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Should he stay or should he go now...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
No, no, no...you have it all wrong.  All they did was show just how classy they were by allowing him to crawl back to Tuscaloosa through all of that tornado damaged glass.  That is one classy school.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/hot_corner_alabama_keeps_softb.html

Hot Corner: Alabama keeps softball coach Patrick Murphy, shows its class
Published: Monday, June 13, 2011, 8:00 AM
By David Knox -- The Birmingham News al.com

I don't have any inside knowledge as to why Patrick Murphy decided to renege on his agreement to coach LSU and return as Alabama's softball coach. I know what he said, and I've no reason to doubt that's the whole story.

I do know he handled it with class. Too bad I can't say the same thing about LSU AD Joe Alleva's public response to his decision.

Certainly, it would have been better if Murphy had not taken it in the first place, but once you've made what you believe to be a mistake by taking a new job, it's better not to make another one by staying some place you don't really want to be.

Murphy's words were contrite, apologetic to both schools, and he said that his change of heart had nothing to do with LSU.

Alleva felt the need to point out that Murphy had "committed to be our head coach" and that Murphy had given "every indication he was in this for the long haul." His words took on a bitterness when he said, "We will ... find a coach who will be the right leader ... who will wear the purple and gold with pride and will lead ... with integrity."

I understand the disappointment Alleva feels. But is taking thinly veiled shots at Murphy in public the best he can do?

If Alleva wants to see how you publicly handle losing a coach, maybe he should look at how Alabama AD Mal Moore handled Murphy's sudden, shocking decision to leave, even though Alabama was set to match LSU's offer.

"I can't say enough about the job Patrick has done for us here at Alabama," Moore said then. "He's an outstanding individual. He has built this program up to the top level nationally. I hate to see him go, but I wish him the very best."

That's how you handle disappointment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »
You know the deal K. Exactly as it seems.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
Sex with assistants?  You do know this is girl's softball, right?  Sex with a man?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."