Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Skip Day at UCLA

Aubie16

Skip Day at UCLA
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »
The Bruins went "over the wall" Tuesday, a UCLA football tradition in which players bolted from practice for a self-imposed day off -- high-tailing it through a gate instead of scaling the practice facility wall as tradition demands.

It left Bruins coaches angry, high school coaches and potential recruits in attendance perplexed and fans questioning the team's commitment. Though visibly upset, first-year Coach Rick Neuheisel tried to put a lighter touch on it Tuesday, saying, "Maybe we can banish it forever since no one went over the wall."

His mood Wednesday was unknown, as a UCLA official said Neuheisel was unavailable for interviews.

The flight cost the Bruins a day of practice in their effort to rebound from a series of mediocre seasons.

Neuheisel apologized to an officiating crew that was assigned to work scrimmage portions of the practice.

Meanwhile, coaches from La Palma Kennedy High, who had come to Westwood to see practice, left shaking their heads.

"I guess that's why they're in the Lay's Potato Chips Bowl every year," said Chris Pascal, Kennedy's freshman coach.
  :bugs:

Coaches from Encino Crespi High also left with a vivid impression.

"Let me put it this way, they wouldn't have done that at Fresno State," said Coach Jeremiah Ross, a former Fresno State player.

Pascal said he and other coaches had yet to receive an explanation or apology from UCLA as of Wednesday afternoon even though they were required to leave their e-mail addresses when they signed in before practice.

"They had recruits there, and can you imagine what they think after being driven there and being sent back onto the freeway at 5 p.m.?" Pascal said. "The four of us were standing there for a half-hour, someone could have said something. On the way home we thought about going over to USC because we knew they would be on the practice field."

Holy shit. Can you imagine if the players did this to Tuberville while the HS coaches and players looked on?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla17apr17,1,7226099.story
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Re: Skip Day at UCLA
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
I wonder why we haven't heard about it before if it's an annual tradition. 

Also, if I were the coaches, I would have turned it into a scheduled "skip day" like some high schools do.  The players would get to choose what day, and that way the coaches can know when not to schedule recruits. 

But that high school coach is right.  I hope they enjoy getting run out of stadiums that same way when they're losing 5-6 games each year in that tank-tough Pac 10 conference. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole