Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Love Me Some Steak

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Love Me Some Steak
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
#1 food item on a lot of people's list.  It doesn't get much better than a steak, seasoned and grilled the way you like it.  Over the years, I've settled on one place here in Dothan that I've talked about a bunch of times.  The Cellar is a little butcher/wine shop that has some of the best steaks, pork chops, chicken kabobs etc.  Their bacon wrapped filets are just teh titz.  Unreal.  I give some to my pops every birthday.  That's all he wants...Cellar filets.  Not only is it an incredibly consistent cut of meat that's tender as hell, the key is the Cellar dust that they put on everything. Absolutely no other marinade needed. 

Years ago in Montgomery, they used to have a similar place called Penny Profits.  Same type of "dust" that they used.  I've gotten to where I never order steak out because it just sux up next to those steaks. 

What cut do you go with?  How do you season it up?  Is there a particular restaurant that just does it better?  I'm hungry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Love Me Some Steak
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »
Ribeye, only if it is good and marbled.  I cook them different each time.  Sometimes I will marinade them, sometimes I dust them, sometimes I will marinade them for a little while, take them out of the marinade and crack a little salt and pepper on them before grilling. 

The best steak I have ever had in my life came from Jocko's in Nipomo CA.  Yes, from California.

http://www.jockosmix.com
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
Love a ribeye too.  I rarely stray from the filet or ribeye.  Can't recall the last T-Bone or NY Strip I've had. And yes, the marbling is a must.  When I eat a steak, there ain't nuthin left.

You're not going to eat that fat are y....Eeeeeewwwww. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:53 PM »
Love a ribeye too.  I rarely stray from the filet or ribeye.  Can't recall the last T-Bone or NY Strip I've had. And yes, the marbling is a must.  When I eat a steak, there ain't nuthin left.

You're not going to eat that fat are y....Eeeeeewwwww.

The fat is what gives it flavor.  I eat every last bite of mine. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Aubie16

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
not picky about the cut. buy a little of everything.

Usually just sea-salt and cracked pepper. Sometimes some garlic

grilled medium to medium-rare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:33 PM »
Best steak I ever had was a prime rib (technically a ribeye, even if it isn't grilled) at Chops in Atlanta.  Most expensive too.  I was worried with going to such a high class place that my entree would look like an amuse bouche but not to worry.  The perfectly prepared bone in slab of cow they laid in front of me looked like what they hung on the side of Fred Flintstone's car.  It had been dry aged, rolled in salt and cracked pepper and roasted to a perfect medium rare and served with a side of the most awesome horseradish sauce in the world.  The wife got the NY Strip au poivre and claimed it equally excellent.

Another steak that was really good and in a surprising place is the Marsala Filet at Maggiano's.  Normally I like my steak to taste like steak with out a lot of sauce or anything extraneous but the grilled Filet smothered in their Marsala wine sauce will make you think differently.

For grilling my own, 1" thick ribeye, lot's of salt on the hottest fire I can muster for about 3min per side.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »
NY Strip - Rare.

Skirt Steak - Marinate with lime juice, orange juice, lemon juice, cumin, garlic, and olive oil.  Cook and serve rare with tortillas.

Ribeye - Rare.

Steaks with bones in them - toss them to the dogs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
Made myself hungry typing that last night.  Was at Publix picking up something totally different for supper and thought about teh steaks.  Grabbed a ribeye and bag of charcoal and headed home to fire up man pit.  The wife just wanted a salad.  I needed steak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
I am thinking about it, but have decided against it.  I am headed out to the farm this weekend and my dad is cooking ribeyes.  Jesus his are great, he marinades them in Early Times, a hint of Moore's and cracked black pepper.  They are delicious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »
Best steak I ever had was a prime rib (technically a ribeye, even if it isn't grilled) at Chops in Atlanta.  Most expensive too.  I was worried with going to such a high class place that my entree would look like an amuse bouche but not to worry.  The perfectly prepared bone in slab of cow they laid in front of me looked like what they hung on the side of Fred Flintstone's car.  It had been dry aged, rolled in salt and cracked pepper and roasted to a perfect medium rare and served with a side of the most awesome horseradish sauce in the world.  The wife got the NY Strip au poivre and claimed it equally excellent.

Another steak that was really good and in a surprising place is the Marsala Filet at Maggiano's.  Normally I like my steak to taste like steak with out a lot of sauce or anything extraneous but the grilled Filet smothered in their Marsala wine sauce will make you think differently.

For grilling my own, 1" thick ribeye, lot's of salt on the hottest fire I can muster for about 3min per side.

They do have a good steak. Expect to drop about $75 a person. The baked potato alone is $6. But the steak is out of this world.

I usually get whatever is on the manager's special at the Kroger. For some reason, people think that meat goes bad when it is a little aged. And then places like Chop's actually AGE the meat before serving. So I'll pick up  the best cut when it is on sale.

I like to marinate it for just an hour in the Kroger steak seasoning (same thing as Dale's). Any longer than an hour and you'll have a slab of salt. Then I will sprinkle some garlic on it to give it a little flavor.

I went to a churrascoria the other day and the garlic steak was excellent.

There is a reasonably priced one on Buford hwy in N. Atlanta. I think the name is Red and Green steakhouse. It is on the right going north.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
#1 food item on a lot of people's list.  It doesn't get much better than a steak, seasoned and grilled the way you like it.  Over the years, I've settled on one place here in Dothan that I've talked about a bunch of times.  The Cellar is a little butcher/wine shop that has some of the best steaks, pork chops, chicken kabobs etc.  Their bacon wrapped filets are just teh titz.  Unreal.  I give some to my pops every birthday.  That's all he wants...Cellar filets.  Not only is it an incredibly consistent cut of meat that's tender as hell, the key is the Cellar dust that they put on everything. Absolutely no other marinade needed. 

Years ago in Montgomery, they used to have a similar place called Penny Profits.  Same type of "dust" that they used.  I've gotten to where I never order steak out because it just sux up next to those steaks. 

What cut do you go with?  How do you season it up?  Is there a particular restaurant that just does it better?  I'm hungry.

There is a bed and breakfast near your neck of the woods, named Sweet Gum Bottom. I stayed there once and ate a steak dinner there. This woman has the best marinade and baste over your steak I have ever eaten. You marinade your steak in it, baste a little on while cooking, and then pour a little on and then serve...holy shit. One of the best steaks you will have. I order it all the time and cook steaks for friends out here in TX and they beg me to cook it for them. I tell them it is my own secret sauce. Holy shit it is good...

http://www.sweetgumbottom.com/index.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
From a couple of years ago. Normally I slap them on the grill and walk away. These (Buffalo) I kept a close eye on. They were about $35.00 a piece.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
One place I have always wanted to go is Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, MS.  Supposed to be rated as one of the top steak places in the US, and it looks like this.

Their website  http://doeseatplace.com/index.htm  Note the plaudits from Bon Appetit magazine on the site.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:57:53 AM by AU_Tiger_2000 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
I have seen and ate at BBQ joints that look like that and some of it is the best BBQ that I have ever ate.

Mr. Crites being one of them, best damn ribs I have ever ate.  Cinder block building, minimal sides and only sweet tea to drink.   Looks nasty, but is clean and has some really great food.

Go to street view and head back about two click of the mouse and you can see it in all it's glory.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »
NY Strip - Rare.

Skirt Steak - Marinate with lime juice, orange juice, lemon juice, cumin, garlic, and olive oil.  Cook and serve rare with tortillas.

Ribeye - Rare.

Steaks with bones in them - toss them to the dogs.

Um, no, the Cowboy Cut Ribeye (with bone) is teh titz.  Ribeye, is teh titz...usually.  Sometimes, inexplicably, they have some gristle.  No gristle, properly marbled, and they're tops on my list.  The only time I eat one marinated is when some fool serves steaks soaked in Dales at a big cookout. 

Filet's lack of marbeling requires a nice thick pieces of bacon. 

Kosher Salt, Fresh cracked black pepper, and they're ready for the Weber with blazing hot coals.  Rare Plus, with a good rest after grilling.  Ribeyes also do nicely in a hot iron skillet in a 450 degree oven.  Preheat oven and skillet.  I start them for about a minute per side on the stove top for a good crust, then finish in the oven for about 2 to 2.5 minutes per side.  Be prepared for some smoke. 

My third fave is NY Strip.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
Ribeyes also do nicely in a hot iron skillet in a 450 degree oven.  Preheat oven and skillet.  I start them for about a minute per side on the stove top for a good crust, then finish in the oven for about 2 to 2.5 minutes per side.  Be prepared for some smoke. 

:thumsup:

I saw this method on Alton Brown and I have to say it sometimes makes me wonder why I fool with the grill when it is just the wife and me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:32 AM »
Cut up some top sirloin last night along with green, red and yellow peppers..onions..put em' in a skillet with the fajita seasoning.  Popped the top on an ice cold Carib and chowed down. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
not picky about the cut. buy a little of everything.

Usually just sea-salt and cracked pepper. Sometimes some garlic

grilled medium to medium-rare.

This man knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
Don't forget the ketchup
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
:thumsup:

I saw this method on Alton Brown and I have to say it sometimes makes me wonder why I fool with the grill when it is just the wife and me.

Did you see when he just threw the steak right on the coals?  I haven't tried it yet because I don't trust that I'll get all of the ash off before I put my steak on.  Supposedly, it's the best way to cook a piece of meat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole