Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

burgers

chinook

burgers
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »
i have been trying different things to make burgers better at the nookie house...and over the summer i'll share my success and disasters.  include your own if you like.

all of my red meat is purchased from my best friend...these steers are "all natural"  #winning.  @ the butcher i have ground beef packaged in 1 lb wraps.  this feeds my family of 4 plus the dog.  the ground beef is fairly lean per my request.  you know i try to sport a 6 pack in the belly.   

last night's grill...

seasoned the patties with fresh ground pepper and kosher salt.  nothing fancy.

i set the pellet grill/bbq @ 375 using hickory pellets.

in addition to the burgers, i prepared 6 slices of pepper bacon for the bbq.  i made a tray using heavy duty al+ foil to set the bacon in.  btw ...this is  the best way to cook bacon.  no greasy mess, cooks slow and no smoke detectors blaring.   

side note...we make our own bacon but i did not have any thawed so i purchased from the butcher @ safeway.

both burgers and bacon grilled for 20 minutes.  turned each about half way through the cook. 

just before the burgers were ready for cheese i took the bacon off but kept the al+ tray.   i placed the burgers in the bacon fat for a quick sizzle on each side.

i placed the burgers back on the grate for cheese.  the kids get american while the skirt and i both used local made pepper jack cheese.

garnishments...on the burger and bun.

bacon, crisp.
fresh made guacamole.   
mayonnaise.
mustard.
ketchup.
vidalia onion.
hot house grown tomato...teh suxxor but that is what i get for living in the pacific northwest. 

an 8 out 10 on the tasty scale...doesn't sound a lot different for most people who make bacon burgers @ home, but grilling the bacon then slapping the patties in bacon grease for a few moments made a little tweak to a common bacon burger.  plus the fresh made guacamole was teh bueno.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:19:15 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: burgers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
I'm a purist.  No Guacamole and such for me on a burger.  A REAL Vidalia onion would be too sweet for my taste on a burger. 

I like griddled burgers myself.  I use my cast iron griddle at home.  Have a bacon press that helps keep the burger from bulging in the middle.  Ground Chuck.  80/20.  I sometimes use this to season: http://www.southernflavor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=47

Sometimes just salt and pepper.  Griddle until medium well, with a good crust.

On the bottom of the bun, which has been lightly griddled too: Mustard, Dukes Mayonnaise, 3-4 Dill Pickle Slices

Atop the patty, in this order: Cheddar Cheese, Crisp Hickory Smoked Bacon, Couple Rings of Yellow Onion, Crisp Iceburg Lettuce, Acidic Tomato Slice (I like Better Boys).   

On the top of the Bun: Light Coat of Ketchup, evenly spread.

My "alternative burger".  Patty cooked the same way, bun griddled.  Patty topped with baby swiss, and sauteed in butter fresh mushroom slices (caps only, no stems), ring or 2 of purple onion, light coat of Dukes Mayo on both halves of the bun.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »
I'm stuffed after eating two helpings of carbonara and a large slice of blueberry cobbler. 

But my mouth is watering after reading your recipe for burger awesomeness, Nook. 

I like guac on my burger sometimes, but I usually add in a roasted poblano pepper.  I'll also use chihuahua cheese as well. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:57:48 AM »
I'm a purist.  No Guacamole and such for me on a burger.  A REAL Vidalia onion would be too sweet for my taste on a burger. 

I like griddled burgers myself.  I use my cast iron griddle at home.

You know that ain't right. That's called a house burger. Eat it on two slices of white bread. Grease dripping down your chin with all your friends laughing at you!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:30:08 AM »
You know that ain't right. That's called a house burger. Eat it on two slices of white bread. Grease dripping down your chin with all your friends laughing at you!

Been there done that too. 

Fact is, I don't do burgers often at home.  There's a couple of places that can do a burger as good or better than I can at home.  One of the few things that can be done as good or better by someone else.  Green Valley Drugs in Hoover, and J&Rs in Marion, AL.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »

I like griddled burgers myself.  I use my cast iron griddle at home.  Have a bacon press that helps keep the burger from bulging in the middle.  Ground Chuck.  80/20.  I sometimes use this to season: http://www.southernflavor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=47

Sometimes just salt and pepper.  Griddle until medium well, with a good crust.

On the bottom of the bun, which has been lightly griddled too: Mustard, Dukes Mayonnaise, 3-4 Dill Pickle Slices

Atop the patty, in this order: Cheddar Cheese, Crisp Hickory Smoked Bacon, Couple Rings of Yellow Onion, Crisp Iceburg Lettuce, Acidic Tomato Slice (I like Better Boys).   

On the top of the Bun: Light Coat of Ketchup, evenly spread.

My "alternative burger".  Patty cooked the same way, bun griddled.  Patty topped with baby swiss, and sauteed in butter fresh mushroom slices (caps only, no stems), ring or 2 of purple onion, light coat of Dukes Mayo on both halves of the bun.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:21 AM »
My favorite way to cook a burger is simple.  Pat it out, mix garlic salt/black pepper with a minimal amount Moore's and Worcestershire pour over the patties and let them soak for about 30 minutes.  Grill them bad boys up.  Use my griddle or a good iron skillet and fry bacon up on the grill to put over the burgers.

Sesame seed bun, mayo, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, cheese and sometimes a Jalapeno if I feel a little frisky.

Another one of my favorties, but is a little too much work for a burger is I chop up onion, use shredded cheese, seasonings and mix it all up with the chuck and them pat them out.  Usually tasty, but I need a few extra minutes to chop up the onion and mix everything together. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
That's what I've been thinking about lately, mixing the cheese with the meat.  Does that work out pretty well?  Do you still get the full affect of the cheese cause' I likes som good, gooey cheese on my burger.  The wife occasionally likes to use blue cheese.  Not a huge fan of blue but I imagine it would stand out pretty good if you mixed it in the meat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:32 AM »
i have been trying different things to make burgers better at the nookie house...and over the summer i'll share my success and disasters.  include your own if you like.

all of my red meat is purchased from my best friend...these steers are "all natural"  #winning.  @ the butcher i have ground beef packaged in 1 lb wraps.  this feeds my family of 4 plus the dog.  the ground beef is fairly lean per my request.  you know i try to sport a 6 pack in the belly.   

last night's grill...

seasoned the patties with fresh ground pepper and kosher salt.  nothing fancy.

i set the pellet grill/bbq @ 375 using hickory pellets.

in addition to the burgers, i prepared 6 slices of pepper bacon for the bbq.  i made a tray using heavy duty al+ foil to set the bacon in.  btw ...this is  the best way to cook bacon.  no greasy mess, cooks slow and no smoke detectors blaring.   

side note...we make our own bacon but i did not have any thawed so i purchased from the butcher @ safeway.

both burgers and bacon grilled for 20 minutes.  turned each about half way through the cook. 

just before the burgers were ready for cheese i took the bacon off but kept the al+ tray.   i placed the burgers in the bacon fat for a quick sizzle on each side.

i placed the burgers back on the grate for cheese.  the kids get american while the skirt and i both used local made pepper jack cheese.

garnishments...on the burger and bun.

bacon, crisp.
fresh made guacamole.   
mayonnaise.
mustard.
ketchup.
vidalia onion.
hot house grown tomato...teh suxxor but that is what i get for living in the pacific northwest. 

an 8 out 10 on the tasty scale...doesn't sound a lot different for most people who make bacon burgers @ home, but grilling the bacon then slapping the patties in bacon grease for a few moments made a little tweak to a common bacon burger.  plus the fresh made guacamole was teh bueno.

That sounds so freaking good. How long did you sizzle the burgers in the bacon grease?

And did you just lay a flat piece of tin foil out on the grill?

Also, I assume you sprayed the foil down with oil or something?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:50:58 AM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
That's what I've been thinking about lately, mixing the cheese with the meat.  Does that work out pretty well?  Do you still get the full affect of the cheese cause' I likes som good, gooey cheese on my burger.  The wife occasionally likes to use blue cheese.  Not a huge fan of blue but I imagine it would stand out pretty good if you mixed it in the meat.

Blue cheese is great on a burger. I am not a fan of blue cheese, but will eat it on a burger. I have seen it mixed in with the meat but I haven't tried it yet. I will try it though...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
Blue cheese is great on a burger. I am not a fan of blue cheese, but will eat it on a burger. I have seen it mixed in with the meat but I haven't tried it yet. I will try it though...

Had this at a burger place here in town and can testify that it's pretty damn good on a burger and I hate Blue Cheese.

Snaggle:  Do your cheese the old fashioned way, when it's about done, lay a piece on top of the patty.  It works ok, but is not delicious and gooey like the old fashioned way, imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
I'm wiff ya' on the bacon grease.  That sounds incredible. 

Speaking of bacon grease (Total departure from thread here) my dad had a dog, black Scottish Terrier, that every morning he would let out.  The scotty would walk down the street and go to a neighbors house.  They had a dog themselves and my dad's dog would go to the back door.  The owner would let him in and prepare the the 2 dogs scrambled eggs and then pour bacon grease over them.  The owner told us my dad's dog would literally sit there and stare at the bowl of eggs until the bacon grease was poured.  Dog was like, I ain't touching this mess til I gets me some bacon flava.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
A nookie burger sounds delicious
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »
That sounds so freaking good. How long did you sizzle the burgers in the bacon grease?

And did you just lay a flat piece of tin foil out on the grill?

Also, I assume you sprayed the foil down with oil or something?

maybe a minute on each side.  enough time to provide a lite browning.

the foil tray...i used the extra long wide foil.  i rolled out a couple of inches pass the length of the bacon...then folded the edges 3/4 inch on each side...this keeps all the bacon grease confined for the most part. 

the tray held 6 slices of bacon. 

no need to spray the foil tray.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »
Been there done that too. 

Fact is, I don't do burgers often at home.  There's a couple of places that can do a burger as good or better than I can at home.  One of the few things that can be done as good or better by someone else.  Green Valley Drugs in Hoover, and J&Rs in Marion, AL.

J&Rs in Marion? Where are they located? The only burger I ever get there is at Hardee's. Marion cannot keep a joint open long enough, except for the Kalico Kitchen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »
J&Rs in Marion? Where are they located? The only burger I ever get there is at Hardee's. Marion cannot keep a joint open long enough, except for the Kalico Kitchen.

J&Rs is across from Kalico, next to Mr Roy's.  They've been known to close from time to time, but are usually open.  If you get the chance, try it.  You won't be disappointed.  How the fuck Kalico stays open is beyond me.  That's some shitty eating. 

I forget the name of it, but if you go just south of Kalico, and take a left and go basically right behind Kalico, there's a little joint that is a bar, but serves a good BLT at lunch.  They may have a good burger, but I've never eaten it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:09:57 AM »
fadder's day grill...I've been thinking about this grill for nearly a month.

again, nothing fancy on the seasoning...just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

traeger set @ 450 with apple pellets.  it was in the hopper.

grill time 4 to 5 minutes on each side.

the change up...

smoked fontina cheese (melted on burger)
prosciutto ...piled high
red onion
tomato (1 thin slice)
peperoncinis
stubb's hickory BBQ sauce
kaiser bun

perhaps I was starving, but that was a tasty burger.  the prosciutto was spectacular...the cheese and peperoncinis just wasn't ordinary for a burger.  i struggled whether or not i was going to use real tomato ketchup (nothing but the best), mayo and mustard...i'm glad i didn't.

i give this a 9 out 10...equivalent to 6 grillz and a pimp cup.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »
The best way I've found to make a blue cheese burger is cut the raw pattie in two equal halves. Next arrange the blue cheese (or pepper jack cheese) from the center to almost the edge. Next put the burger patties back together and press the edges back together. Make sure your grill is hot, don't press the juice out of the burger while cooking and only flip the burger once. For perfect grill marks start the burger at 10:00 using a quarter turn to 2:00, flip the burger and start again at 10, then 2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

chinook

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »
it has been sometime since the nookster has made burgers. not sure why...maybe the travels and honing in on pulled pork as well as ribs.  anyhoo this burger was inspired one evening over margaritas and chicken mole.

the change up...

for starters, i substituted ground beef for ground chicken.  you'll see in a minute.

seasoned the patties with salt and pepper.  honestly, i wanted to be creative with the seasoning, but got stumped.  just kept it simple.

set traeger @ 375 with mesquite pellets. 

white bun ...nothing fancy

topped burger with...

montery jack
mole (purchased from favorite local mexican restaurant)
pico de gallo (fresh made)

served with ... refried beans, chips, salsa and ice-cold dos equis.

burger was fine.  i was expected a "wow" but just wasn't there.  perhaps, i'll try again but maybe mix the mole sauce in the ground chicken then reserving some as a topping.

5 out of 10...4 grillz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions