Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fresh Fish

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Fresh Fish
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
I used to work with a Vietnamese guy who bought a used BMW.  Some of the faux wood trim had peeled off and left some sticky stuff and I stuck my arm in it when he was driving us to lunch.  He said, "Sorry, my car has gook all over it."  I died laughing, when I told him why he got pretty pissed.

Da gooks gotta die.....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
How does one go about getting fresh fish short of catching it yourself or waiting at the docks.  Last night, wanted to do some grilled fish and the wife was on her way to Publix so I axed her to pick up some grouper filets.  Three nice looking filets......that were just downright bucknasty.  They weren't spoiled or anything but that "fish" smell and taste was overwhelming.  Marinated them for an hour before grilling them.  Drowned them in a mixture of orange, lemon, pineapple and lime juices and then seasoned them up with some Zatarains creole seasoning.  Still, that fishy taste dominated after grilling.  Ruined the meal.

I know that going to Publix for seafood isn't the smartest thing in the world but what are the choices?  We have Winn Dixie and two butcher shops that carry seafood but even there, you'll run across the same problem.  Is that a product of freezing or being too old or do some fish just naturally have that strong odor/taste?  I've never had it with mahi and most of the time, orange roughy is pretty clean.

Publix for seafood is hit or miss.  If you get it the day they get it, you're ok, but you gotta know the day they get the delivery.  I've gotten some bad stuff. 

We have a Sextons here in Cahaba Heights.  Fresh stuff daily.  And a Snapper Grabbers in Vestavia.  both have fresh stuff.   If it smells fishy, it's old.  Period.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
Read something the other day that 80% of the shrimp consumed in this country come from Asian waters.  No such thing as fresh there.

They generally freeze shrimp on the boat.  It's always previously frozen, unless you have a way to get it special.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
They generally freeze shrimp on the boat.  It's always previously frozen, unless you have a way to get it special.   

This makes me miss living in Louisiana.  Nothing like making a meal of shrimp pulled directly from the gulf. 

How are Sexton's prices?  And I don't know if this was covered, but did your house get messed up in the April storms?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
This makes me miss living in Louisiana.  Nothing like making a meal of shrimp pulled directly from the gulf. 

How are Sexton's prices?  And I don't know if this was covered, but did your house get messed up in the April storms?

Their prices vary depending on market, time of year, gas prices.  I haven't been in a while.  They're obviousy higher than the supermarket, but it's always fresh from the gulf.

No, I had no damage. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
Hit Publix last night for shrimp.  Peeled and deveined.  Put them on a pan and seasoned them up then soaked them in Zesty Italian. Broiled them for a few minutes each side.

Dee-lish-us
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
Fresh fish....I has it.

I was talking about catching a huge snapper this past Friday in the "While you beeshes" thread.  On this charter, that takes off and lands directly from the beach in Grayton Beach, you come in and go grab some lunch and come back to pick up your fish, fileted and bagged.  Nice.

Took it that afternoon and proceeded to let it marinate in a mixture of orange, pineapple, lemon and lime juices.  Got the grill ready and dusted the filets up with some blackening and creole seasonings.  I use a grilling pan with raised sides that I line with foil to grill the fish.  Poured the juice mixture and more seasoning over it as it cooked.  The filets just fell apart, which was fine because I was going for fish tacos...again.  When they're right, they're right.

Put the fish on a wrap, put on cole slaw, black beans, a little pineapple and this funky orange dressing that I found.  Yep, fresh fish makes all the difference and these were fine.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
Fresh fish....I has it.

I was talking about catching a huge snapper this past Friday in the "While you beeshes" thread.  On this charter, that takes off and lands directly from the beach in Grayton Beach, you come in and go grab some lunch and come back to pick up your fish, fileted and bagged.  Nice.

Took it that afternoon and proceeded to let it marinate in a mixture of orange, pineapple, lemon and lime juices.  Got the grill ready and dusted the filets up with some blackening and creole seasonings.  I use a grilling pan with raised sides that I line with foil to grill the fish.  Poured the juice mixture and more seasoning over it as it cooked.  The filets just fell apart, which was fine because I was going for fish tacos...again.  When they're right, they're right.

Put the fish on a wrap, put on cole slaw, black beans, a little pineapple and this funky orange dressing that I found.  Yep, fresh fish makes all the difference and these were fine.

... and on that note, it's lunch time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions