Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

My Memorial Day Ribzz

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
My Memorial Day Ribzz
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »
I love to grill and try to put something out on man pit at least 2-3 times a week.  This weekend, I was in charge of all grilling at Lake Eufaula for the family and decided ribzz was the ticket for the main course.  Now, I've seen some of the stuff posted by some of you who are FAR more advanced in the art of grilling and recipes for this and that than I am.  I love to take the time to prep everything..drink some....prep it some more....drink some more....cook/grill....drink a lot more...but, I have to keep it fairly simple and not take an entire day for one food item that it will take people 15 minutes to devour. 

My simple rib recipe/grilling goes;

Slabs of babybacks

Dry rub of "Bone Sucking Sauce - Mojo Blackening Powder - Blend of several spices and rubs I mix together.

Let them sit for a while and get them wrapped in foil.  Just before putting them in the oven, I pour Teriyaki and Soy around the meat to keep it moist during the baking.

Messed up a little and went 275 for 2 1/2 hours this weekend.  Had a brain fart because 200-225 would have been perfect.  Only problem with 275 is it was falling off the bone and made the grilling to finish a little testy.

My sauce is not the homemade 29 ingredient variety.  I take Jack Daniels Maple Brown Sugar and mix in cinnamon and honey.  Since that's a very sweet combination, I then kick it up with hot sauce, preferably Franks.

On the grill for one turn each side and rub on the sauce to finsih it. 

Again, simple recipe that I've experimented with over the years but it's never been anything but awesome.  When I marinate chicken or pork and even fish, I like to use a variety of spices/flavors.  Can't go wrong. Now steak...it's Cellar dust from a local butcher shop.  Nothing less.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: My Memorial Day Ribzz
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »
You talk about your "world famous wings"...so tell me how you do those? I am thinking of making some wings tonight...seriously...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
My Ribs are simple but take 5 to 6 hours unless I wrap them with foil.  Wake up, remove membrane, wash them down, pat them dry, about two table spoons of mustard and smear the ribs down with the mustard.  It helps the rub to bond with the ribs.  Sprinkle Magic Dust on them and rub them down.  About two hours into cooking them they will "sweat" and I lightly sprinkle a little rub on them and spritz them down with apple juice, repeat at the 4 hour mark and 30 minutes before they are done, I sauce them with a homemade sauce and serve.  If it just for us at the house, I want even sauce them.  I like a dry rubbed rib better than a sauced one.

Not Snaggletiger's world famous wings, but I use Willingham's hot stuff and sprinkle them down and grill'em up and serve with sauce on the side.  If you don't have Willinghams in your area, then Bad Byron's Butt Rub is pretty dang good on them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »
You talk about your "world famous wings"...so tell me how you do those? I am thinking of making some wings tonight...seriously...

It's funny because I handle those much in the same way and with the same flavors.  I usually put the wings in a zip lock, marinating in a combination of soy/teriyaki Montreal Chicken rub, Mojo Blackening and a good bit of Franks.  I'm not a huge hot sauce fan as far as "heat" goes.  Frank's has some pop but nothing to light you up.  It actually has real flavor so I use a lot of it.

I do the same thing in letting them sit for a bit and pop them on the grill and I finish them with the same sauce as above (Hey, if it's good, it's good).  As with most BBQ'ing, I don't put the sauce on until the last couple of turns just to let it caramelize (sp?)  Anything longer and the sauce will burn.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »
It's funny because I handle those much in the same way and with the same flavors.  I usually put the wings in a zip lock, marinating in a combination of soy/teriyaki Montreal Chicken rub, Mojo Blackening and a good bit of Franks.  I'm not a huge hot sauce fan as far as "heat" goes.  Frank's has some pop but nothing to light you up.  It actually has real flavor so I use a lot of it.

I do the same thing in letting them sit for a bit and pop them on the grill and I finish them with the same sauce as above (Hey, if it's good, it's good).  As with most BBQ'ing, I don't put the sauce on until the last couple of turns just to let it caramelize (sp?)  Anything longer and the sauce will burn.

I use Zesty Italian dressing for marinade on teh yard birdz.  Chicken is like a sponge and will soak up anything you put on them, even smoke.  Over smoked chicken is pretty bad.   

I hate it when someone puts sauce on during the middle of a cook and lets it caramelize.  Yuck!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »
My Ribs are simple but take 5 to 6 hours unless I wrap them with foil.  Wake up, remove membrane, wash them down, pat them dry, about two table spoons of mustard and smear the ribs down with the mustard.  It helps the rub to bond with the ribs.  Sprinkle Magic Dust on them and rub them down.  About two hours into cooking them they will "sweat" and I lightly sprinkle a little rub on them and spritz them down with apple juice, repeat at the 4 hour mark and 30 minutes before they are done, I sauce them with a homemade sauce and serve.  If it just for us at the house, I want even sauce them.  I like a dry rubbed rib better than a sauced one.

Not Snaggletiger's world famous wings, but I use Willingham's hot stuff and sprinkle them down and grill'em up and serve with sauce on the side.  If you don't have Willinghams in your area, then Bad Byron's Butt Rub is pretty dang good on them.

Do you do babybacks or something else?  Saw a guy Friday night smoking some and he had this cool little smoker that was about 3 feet tall and cylindrical. The coals and water/whatever he used, were in the bottom while he could hang up to 4 racks above it. 

World famous for anything I cook is limited to whoever is at my house.  And if I'm buying and cooking the meat, I'd better hear great things about it...even if it's just a piece of gnarled up charcoal with a dash of BBQ sauce on top.

I was tempted to go with another direction because the day before, our paper had several different rib recipes....but I knew I'd be drinking heavily and didn't want to think too much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
I use Zesty Italian dressing for marinade on teh yard birdz.  Chicken is like a sponge and will soak up anything you put on them, even smoke.  Over smoked chicken is pretty bad.   

I hate it when someone puts sauce on during the middle of a cook and lets it caramelize.  Yuck!

Zesty Eye-Talyin.  Killah!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

Zesty Italian is good on the chicken except that one of the primary ingredients appears to be gasoline.

Incidentally, watch the kids around the grill.  My little girl has been warned numerous times to keep away from it and usually does.  But this weekend I doused the coals with water when I took my ribs and chicken up.  My daughter saw this and assumed if the fire was out the grill was cool immediately (she's 5).  In order to test this hypothesis she touched the bottom of the grill and got a nasty burn on three fingers.  Not a good end to Memorial Day.  But she will now believe me when I tell her something is hot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
Zesty Italian is good on the chicken except that one of the primary ingredients appears to be gasoline.

Incidentally, watch the kids around the grill.  My little girl has been warned numerous times to keep away from it and usually does.  But this weekend I doused the coals with water when I took my ribs and chicken up.  My daughter saw this and assumed if the fire was out the grill was cool immediately (she's 5).  In order to test this hypothesis she touched the bottom of the grill and got a nasty burn on three fingers.  Not a good end to Memorial Day.  But she will now believe me when I tell her something is hot.

What do you think makes it taste so good?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions