Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Difference Makers

jmar

The Difference Makers
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:33:29 AM »
I'm not concerned about Malzahn or whomever he feels can get Auburn beyond the '09 numbers of Todd as much as I am making up the gaudy 1400 on the ground by Newton (minus two games worth) which would put the number around 1200.

...and indulge me if you will because summer is almost upon us, it's a slow time and it never hurts to kick a can around, unless you go too far and find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks.

Auburn can make up as much as half of that superhuman effort in 12 games with 10 yards more production each from Dyer, OMac and about 30ypg with the much anticipated return of Trovon Reed along with any positive gains from the QB position being a bonus.

Todd threw at over 60%, 2600+yards, 8.0 per, with 22 TDs against 6 INTs for a 145+ rating.
We got 255 more yards and 2 TDs with two picks out of Caudle and Burns as well.

Auburn was better than all (even the vaunted Oregon offense) at generating more yards per play and converting on third down in fact a whopping 86 attempts at 54.72 %.
The '09 team had a nice 71 at 40.11%.

But with that said, Auburn did this with a salty bunch of guys up front in '09 and a veteran crew this past season, three of which have moved on. So my 2011 season begins and ends with the guy who spurned Mack Brown.

Besides Jeff Grimes, as much of Auburn's fortunes rests on the ability of Mike Pelton to shore up the interior of the defensive line so the offense can get those scoring opportunities. Being so young and inexperinced up front makes me search for two missing parts; an everyday bull at fullback and a kicker that will not miss, so yeah Auburn is up against it, not that it hasn't been before I just can't recall more glaring deficits at key positions. And Chizik and staff foresaw this coming with the shorfall in numbers so this is sure to be a memorable season of expectations to build on following a national championship.

Just whiling some time away before I work part of the day and to remember the real difference makers and the families of fallen servicemen who have paid the ultimate price for this country, enabling us to enjoy the freedom we all share.

Have a great holiday everyone and War Eagle!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions