Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Russell Wilson's arrived in....

Re: Russell Wilson's arrived in....
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
So yall are ok with this shit of bringing in a hired gun for a one and done?  It just feels dirty and it won't be long until we are known as rent a qb U.

Cam Newton? 

Same thing with Caudle and Trotter. 

Wilson is no Cam Newton. 

But Caudle, Trotter, and Moseley are not winning SEC quarterbacks. 

Wilson can provide instant experience and athletic ability. 

This is very much a transition year as our defense is young, our o-line is young, and our running backs are young.  Bring in Wilson to see if he can help us get 8 or 9 wins and then work towards 2012. 

I don't see how it could hurt especially since we already have Frazier and Pike (presumably) in the bag.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
Cam Newton? 

Same thing with Caudle and Trotter. 

Wilson is no Cam Newton. 

Wilson can provide instant experience and athletic ability. 

This is very much a transition year as our defense is young, our o-line is young, and our running backs are young.  Bring in Wilson to see if he can help us get 8 or 9 wins and then work towards 2012. 

I don't see how it could hurt especially since we already have Frazier and Pike (presumably) in the bag.

This.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
I'm going to change my stance a little on the Wilson situation, if it happens, I'm DEFINITELY down with it.  It tells me that our Coaching Staff ain't gonna settle on "rebuilding year", they're ALL IN....So am I.  I'm still not sure about him being successful against SEC defenses, but he does have more experience at QB than Chris Todd, Kodi Burns, Cam Newton, Neil Caudle, Barrett Trotter & Clint Moseley combined...so, that's a huge positive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
I'm going to change my stance a little on the Wilson situation, if it happens, I'm DEFINITELY down with it.  It tells me that our Coaching Staff ain't gonna settle on "rebuilding year", they're ALL IN....So am I.  I'm still not sure about him being successful against SEC defenses, but he does have more experience at QB than Chris Todd, Kodi Burns, Cam Newton, Neil Caudle, Barrett Trotter & Clint Moseley combined...so, that's a huge positive.
I'm changing my mind on the subject after hearing similar opinions on Finebaum from so-called AU alumni that negatively fueled what would have been an outstanding idea had it been Alabama checking Wilson out. I thought it might prove disruptive but if Gus Malzahn wants this guy I want him too.
That's all of the fucking persuasion I require.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
The bammers aren't happy that Auburn could land Russell Wilson, their ringleader Paw is basically showing his hand by putting the "AU alum" tag on a couple callers that aren't happy about it.  I'll say this, if Auburn is doing something to upset SPuat, then Auburn doing something right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
The bammers aren't happy that Auburn could land Russell Wilson, their ringleader Paw is basically showing his hand by putting the "AU alum" tag on a couple callers that aren't happy about it.  I'll say this, if Auburn is doing something to upset SPuat, then Auburn doing something right.
You know it's pretty special when the entire premise of Paw's show is about hating Auburn.
Finebaum and Friends is a more accurate title.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
If a player's scared of competition they shouldn't be playing D1 football.

While true, there's also a thing called team chemistry, and the fact that the guys that have been on campus, have worked hard in THIS PROGRAM, WITH THESE TEAM MATES.  Bringing in a guy that everyone knows is only good for one season, that has been playing in another program, and you have no idea how hard he's worked, or what kind of guy he is...it can have a negative effect.  You never know how that will work out.  It's dangerous.  I've heard a few coaches talk about bringing in transfers and JCs.  It's a risky business.  You can't build for the long term that way.  And yes, I know we've been recruiting well and that shouldn't be an issue, but just saying.  The guys on the field, coaches and players, know if Trotter or Mosely have what it takes to play at this level.  If they think either do, especially Trotter and Mosely, then bringing in this guy may not be dangerous.  Everybody knew there was a void at QB last off season...Cam worked out.  If that's the general feeling again this year, then this could work out too.  Still, risky. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
Cam Newton? 

Same was said about Todd.  He performed well, and that team's shortcomings in 2009 were largely Defensive, not QB.

Bottom line: you have NO WAY to know that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
Same was said about Todd.  He performed well, and that team's shortcomings in 2009 were largely Defensive, not QB.

Bottom line: you have NO WAY to know that.

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
Have to agree...but, you can't compare Newton to Todd.  It's not fair.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
Have to agree...but, you can't compare Newton to Todd.  It's not fair.

Did someone compare Newton and Todd?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »

Yeah, what the fuck ever.  No way in hell you can make any call on Trotter or Mosely. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
Did someone compare Newton and Todd?
Not directly, but I was just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

JR4AU

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »
Not directly, but I was just sayin'.

Not even indirectly or by inference. 

THS made the proclamation that Trotter and Mosely are not winning SEC QBs.  I noted that the same was said about Todd prior to 2009, and they even had a body or work to use as evidence from 2008.  He wound up setting AU passing records, and the offense was a top 15 offense.  The team was mediocre, but Todd was effective. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
And before someone tries to put words in my mouth and say I'm saying Todd or Moseley will be great...I'm not even remotely predicting that either.  But it's stupid to proclaim a kid can't play, when he's never played a meaningful down in the SEC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
I'm not sure if this says anything about Trotter/Mosely or not.  Everything I've heard/read is that the coaches really like Trotter and are still reserved on Mosely's ability.  Bottom line for me is we have two unproven QB's and a true freshman to work with in the SEC. If nothing else, this is insurance with having a pretty talented guy with tons of D1 experience on your roster.  Like was said earlier, if the coaches want to give him a look, gotta' trust that.  Maybe they aren't too comfortable facing this season with what they have. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
And before someone tries to put words in my mouth and say I'm saying Todd or Moseley will be great...I'm not even remotely predicting that either.  But it's stupid to proclaim a kid can't play, when he's never played a meaningful down in the SEC.
I'm just going to go ahead and say it.  After watching them both going against the green defense during the A-Day game, I can say that in my professional opinion Mosley will not take a meaningful snap unless something happens to Trotter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »
I'm not sure if this says anything about Trotter/Mosely or not.  Everything I've heard/read is that the coaches really like Trotter and are still reserved on Mosely's ability.  Bottom line for me is we have two unproven QB's and a true freshman to work with in the SEC. If nothing else, this is insurance with having a pretty talented guy with tons of D1 experience on your roster.  Like was said earlier, if the coaches want to give him a look, gotta' trust that.  Maybe they aren't too comfortable facing this season with what they have.

I agree mostly, as long as it's pretty clear after spring that they weren't impressed with Trotter and Mosely. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »
Wilson's best season statistically was 2009. 

224 Comp.  378 Att.  59.3%  3027Yds.  8.0 YPA  31TD  11Int    147.8 Rtg.

That was on a 5-7 ACC team that played the likes of Gardner Webb, Murray State, Wake Forrest and Duke to whom they lost! 

His best season for wins was 9-4 (5-3 ACC) last season.

Kid's a good athlete, and may be better than what we have, who knows?  But I wouldn't be all giddy about him off his body of work in the ACC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
And he has a limited body of work vs SEC defense.  They opened vs SC in 2008 and 2009.  0-2.  Lost 34-0, and 7-3. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions