Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

More Important Contribution to Auburn?

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
Re: More Important Contribution to Auburn?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
Now hold on just a minute. 

We were on the map before.  As much or more on the map as Alabama was, despite the infernal "history" honking you effsticks are apt to bellow. 

But Bryant was a drinking, cheating, lying, no-good, sack of poop tornado that ripped a hole through our program. 

WE were the power when he got there.  To his credit, he turned that around and kept it turned for most of his 25 years.  The methods by which he did so are questionable at best.  He proved that sometimes the son-of-a-bitch will triumph over good and decent men -- true heroes -- who have their priorities straight.  But that triumph is temporary.  Where ever Bryant is now, I bet he gets to watch the 1972 Auburn game on an endless loop. 

I realize you can't discount Bryant's contributions.  But it's fair to say that without him, Alabama has been owned by Auburn for all of recorded history.   Bryant is the beginning and end of your myth of dominance, the alpha and omega of your false sense of superiority, the sum total of your misplaced arrogance. 

Bo -- and Dye -- punctured that air of invincibility.  They didn't put us on the map, they reminded us that the map belonged to us anyway and we took it back.

WOW where did that come from. Bo Jackson is a bad-ass turns into eff bama. To say any more is pointless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
WOW where did that come from. Bo Jackson is a bad-ass turns into eff bama. To say any more is pointless.

You said he put us on the map.  Bullshit.  It was our map.  Your stupid Barbosa just stole it for a little while and wrote his name on it with liquid paper. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
Right now, I'd go with Bo by a good bit.  However, I'd like to see how time and a little history treats Cam's stint/contribution at Auburn. Who knows right now?  Will Newton come back and make tons of appearances?  Will he pimp AU all through his career?  Will he become a huge success both on the field and commercially?  Will he be thought of as one of the greatest to play the college game later on in polls and roundtable discussions?  I realize a lot of that doesn't have a direct affect on Auburn but it may change how we view him in the years to come.

This is as much it as anything.  Ask me again in 20 years which one had more of an impact on Auburn, and if Cam does not show himself as an Auburn man, then maybe I change my opinion. 

But right now, if you say Bo Jackson, everyone knows Bo, and all his accomplishments, and about his NFL/MLB careers... but not many people outside the SEC can tell you who he played for.  Earlier in the season last year, when Cam was first making a name for himself, someone I work with made a comment about the best player AU has ever had.  I corrected him "Second to Bo." And he said "I thought Bo Jackson played at Georgia.  I had no idea he went to Auburn.."

EVERYBODY knows who Cam played for.  And he won the national Championship for Auburn.  AUBURN. 

So to answer the question honestly, it has to be Cam.  From our insider perspective, yes, Bo IS Auburn - but not in the eyes of anyone who is not intimately familiar with the Auburn program or is a long time fan of SEC football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
EVERYBODY knows who Cam played for.  And he won the national Championship for Auburn.  AUBURN. 

Yep.  I was at the gas station in Illinois yesterday, wearing an Auburn hat, and the clerk there asked how Cam was going to be for the Panthers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
Yep.  I was at the gas station in Illinois yesterday, wearing an Auburn hat, and the clerk there asked how Cam was going to be for the Panthers.
I'll go so far as to say that Auburn's success with Dye and Bo has enabled the entire area to thrive. I seriously doubt the city would expand as it has without them leaving their mark. My choice without pause is Bo however I think Cam will be much more visable than Bo as an ambassador.

Off subject...I said as much for Bobby Lowder not two weeks ago and like him or not, he is the business leader that has had the greatest affect on Auburn.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:41:22 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »

Not shocking that someone in Illinois would recognize the logo of the college the current Heisman winner attended.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
And he said "I thought Bo Jackson played at Georgia.  I had no idea he went to Auburn.."

You should have killed him on the spot. 

For the record, everybody TODAY knows who Cam played for -- and many as much for infamy as success.  In the 80s and 90s everybody knew who Bo played for, too. 

Time has a way of graying memories. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 10:38:34 PM »
You should have killed him on the spot. 

For the record, everybody TODAY knows who Cam played for -- and many as much for infamy as success.  In the 80s and 90s everybody knew who Bo played for, too. 

Time has a way of graying memories.

Like saying allbarn owned the map  :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban