Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

How Dumb Are We?

How Dumb Are We?
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »
Do you know why kids say that school sucks?  Because it does. 

Curriculum is geared towards wasting time.  Buzz words are shoved down teachers' throats simply so the teachers know when they are failing.  "Life long learners."  That's a good one going right now.  And when the students leave high school without becoming "life long learners," the higher ups look at the teachers as if they are at fault. 

How about "teach them how to think."  I spent 18 hours in professional development this year focusing on this phrase.  Teaching them how to think involves a lot of graphic organizers and a combination of writing and reading.  That's not teaching them how to think.  That's giving them enough to do to fill up a 50 minute class period. 

And 50 minutes?  Not anymore.  46 minutes.  Because next year, we're going from 7 periods in a day to 8.  The 8th period will be a 30 minute class for helping kids graduate or giving kids enrichment.  30 minutes so Johnny-Come-Lately can do his math homework and pass math.  30 minutes so Christine can do workbook problems that are exactly like the graduation exam.  30 minutes so every freshman can do study hall. 

Why freshmen in a study hall?  Because research shows that if a freshman screws up their first year of high school, they're more likely to drop out or not earn enough credits to graduate.  So we shove them in a study hall.  That way they don't screw up.  That way they don't do anything productive except get their work done in study hall.  That way they don't earn a D; they are rewarded with one.

But why do they need a study hall?  Because middle schools have implemented a "Last Chance Cafe."  You can give up your lunch time with friends to do any missed work!  From any time of the year!  Fail a test?  Forget a project?  No problem!  Last Chance Cafe has you covered.  Even if you didn't turn in an assignment in August, you can turn it in in May.  That's what those "Grade Change Forms" are for, right? 

Which leads to kids not thinking.  And when they're not thinking, they're just doing busy work, and busy work doesn't lead to productivity.  It doesn't lead to creativity.  I don't know what it leads to, honestly.  I have no idea where we are headed.  But one thing I do know - we are stupid.

And it's evident in our recent voting history.  It's evident when you read political talk show hosts' books.  "What do you mean?" you ask.  Well, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, and Michael Savage (and many many others both liberal and conservative) have all written books.  These guys are considered top of the line political analysts, so you'd expect their writing would be written at a high level.  You'd expect these books to be difficult reads because they're concerned with government things - military things - economic things.  But they aren't difficult.  They're written on an 8th grade level. 

The curriculum doesn't connect.  High school is filled with busy work.  "Work them bell to bell!"  That's good teaching.  You're a good teacher if the kids graduate.  That's seriously what's being pumped down our throats.  It's not you're a good student if you graduate.  It's not meet the expectations of the curriculum.  It's make sure they graduate, or you fail, teachers.

This stems from political correctness infiltrating public education.  Seriously.  I took Diversity of Learners at Auburn, and we learned about pedagogy.  Not content or skills.  Pedagogy.  We learned about how teachers are mostly white.  We learned about how drop outs are mostly black.  And we learned how to help the black kids graduate. 

And that's continued into the actual profession.  I used to think it was just some bullshit college course.  Just some theory.  Not applicable.  Until you really analyze what's going on.  Until you ask, "Why are pep rallies and prom and senior luncheons taken so seriously?"  It's because we're giving kids a taste of what life could be like in high school and telling them that's it.  The introductory speech from the superintendent to teachers this year included this - "High school is the greatest years of these kids lives."

And that's because we're fucking them over when it comes to preparing them for after high school.

Sorry to rant, but the gas prices thread got me thinking about it.  I think this is something that has to be fixed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: How Dumb Are We?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
Two things:

#1.  Can I show this to another teacher?  They will love it and agree with all of it.
#2.  Remind me again why I am getting re-certified?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »
You're officially a genius...  Seriously, good stuff!  So, how do we fix it? 

Personally, I think the voucher strategy is a good start.  It could pave the way for more private schools and competition in education, which I believe would drive excellence. 

They spend over $13k per student per year educating kids in Atlanta.  The schools in my area spend less than $9k per student and yields 200-300 points higher on SATs with half the drop-out rate as the Atlanta schools.  I believe they spend over $17k per student in NYC and Chicago, and the results are even worse.  Remove tenure...  Introduce merit and achievement...  And, stop throwing money into a corrupt system... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Exact-a-fucking-mundo, Jarhead.

But it's worse than that, now.  I think the teachers are just as stupid and naive as the kids, parents, principals, and politicians. 

But what's causing this?  Do I blame minorities?  Do I blame the way we're attempting to help minorities?  I can't blame minorities.  I'm not racist.  I understand wanting to help underprivileged kids.  I do.  I try to.  I stay after work to tutor.  Most of the time, kids that need tutoring don't have moms and dads at home who have the ability to tutor.

More thoughts on this -

Why are schools rewarded with funding for having school programs?  The more school programs, the more money.  Why? 

We're producing kids who can't think.  Can't do. Can't cope.  Can't create.  Can't analyze.  Can't critique. 

We also teach them that they're wrong to do those things.  I have a pacing guide that details the curriculum.  Exactly what I should teach.  Exactly when I should teach it.  The pacing guide is jammed pack with content that connects to the graduation exam. 

A kid doesn't like Romeo and Juliet?  Fuck you, asshole.  You're a disruption. 

And that's another thing.  Why am I teaching kids how to sit in a desk?  Why is this a daily task?  Who the fuck doesn't know how to sit in a desk? 

Every teacher I have talked to - from multiple schools and various environments - have agreed that the kids today are different than they were just a few years ago.  A noticeable change in behavior.  A noticeable increase in apathy.  A noticeable decrease in potential. 

No Child Left Behind is the obvious answer.  But is that it?  Is that the real culprit?  I really don't know, but someone needs to brainstorm.  Not someone.  Multiple people. 

Why are the kids misbehaving?  Is it because stupid kids are placed in the classroom with them?  Or is it something else?

When people feel like they're getting screwed, they rebel.  When people feel like they're being forced to waste their time, they rebel.  I think that's what's happening.  Kids are rebelling in a different way.

In my grade and subject, there is one teacher who says the kids seem alright.  She teachers four honors classes, one advanced class, and an honors creative writing class.  The other three of us?  No honors classes?  We're dealing with the "kid likes to beat his dick on the desk" stories. 

My wife teaches 3rd grade GRC.  Gifted kids.  They don't follow a curriculum.  She loves it.  Her kids are allowed to create.  They're allowed to think.  They're allowed to enjoy what they're doing.  Recently, they studied photosynthesis.  They grew a garden.  A fucking garden!  The flowers bloomed, and my wife took pictures.  They then created a scrapbook to end the year.  And the kids not only know photosynthesis, they know what it means.  They felt it. 

And she gets told her job is a waste of time.  It's not the real curriculum.  It's elitist.  It's a drain on the funding. 

Because we all know that funding is so important and frail.  We all know that schools have to be technologically proficient.  We need new computers all the time.  We have to have Elmos, interwrite pads, digital projectors, smartboards, laptops, clickers.  And to have those things, we have to have money.  Our Algebra IB class didn't have enough textbooks for the kids.  But we have fucking ELMOS. 

Perhaps I need to stop.  It is close to summer, right? 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
My wife was in the system for about 19 years before switching to private school, where she has felt like she can actually teach.  I can't really speak the issues you bring up other than to say she loves teaching but was to the point where that wasn't possible any more.  Her last year, she had 8 kids in her class with an IEP and spent every day doing nothing but trying to get kids out of the floor and off the desks.  Back in my day (Get the hell off my lawn) screwing up in class meant an ass whipping from teacher, coach or principal.  Had one coach who used to thump your ears for getting out of line.  Hurt like hell.  She, on the other hand, could do no more than, "Stop that....get off of there...quit that".

One thing we are struggling with since we have a 10 year old at the same school, is similar to one of your points.  Busy work.  Even though it's a private school, there's very little teaching going on.  Math is 30 problems every day in class and 30 problems every night at home.  Parents have been raising hell because she's not showing them how to do any of it and doesn't seem to know herself.  It's the cirriculum.  Just follow the cirriculum. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
No Child Left Behind is the biggest disservice to teachers that one can create. Its a crock of shit and I hate Bush for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
Two things:

#1.  Can I show this to another teacher?  They will love it and agree with all of it.
#2.  Remind me again why I am getting re-certified?

Show it to everyone. 

Honestly, man, I don't mean to make you feel bad or anything, but I'm wondering why I'm still here.  I mean, I know it's a job, and it is secure.  I'm tenured, so screw the system, right? 

But I'm looking at my kids right now.  They've been with me for 9 months, and they haven't learned anything skill wise.  They've passed tests.  They've completed homework.  They'll move on to the next grade, and they'll drive to school.

But can they do?  Can they think?  Can they figure things out on their own? 

I have 10th graders who still look at me every ten seconds and say, "Ok so what exactly am I supposed to write?"  And if I write it on the board, they say, "Do I really have to write all of that?" 

I'm going to brainstorm this summer to see what I can do differently next year. I've already decided that reading is a waste of time.  The kids don't read.  My kids at least, and I do have the lowest of the bunch.  They need The Outsiders as 10th graders.  They definitely don't need The Scarlet Letter.

So I think I'm going to hammer them with basic vocabulary and writing.  They can't formulate sentences.  My superiors have told me not to count grammar. That's a new one this year.  They're "expressing themselves," and because grammar has not been completely taught in the curriculum, I can't expect them to write well. 

Fuck that.  Parts of speech due tomorrow, bitches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »
My wife was in the system for about 19 years before switching to private school, where she has felt like she can actually teach.  I can't really speak the issues you bring up other than to say she loves teaching but was to the point where that wasn't possible any more.  Her last year, she had 8 kids in her class with an IEP and spent every day doing nothing but trying to get kids out of the floor and off the desks.  Back in my day (Get the hell off my lawn) screwing up in class meant an ass whipping from teacher, coach or principal.  Had one coach who used to thump your ears for getting out of line.  Hurt like hell.  She, on the other hand, could do no more than, "Stop that....get off of there...quit that".

One thing we are struggling with since we have a 10 year old at the same school, is similar to one of your points.  Busy work.  Even though it's a private school, there's very little teaching going on.  Math is 30 problems every day in class and 30 problems every night at home.  Parents have been raising hell because she's not showing them how to do any of it and doesn't seem to know herself.  It's the cirriculum.  Just follow the cirriculum.

8 would be a dream. 

My class schedule:
1st period - 29 students/17 with IEPs
2nd period - 24 students/18 with IEPs
3rd period - 22 students/12 with IEPs
6th period - 21 students/6 with IEPs
7th period - 26 students/16 with IEPs/3 ESL

This has actually been a decent schedule compared to recent years.  5th period is a remediation class.  And last year I had all special ed and all ESL kids in my classes. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
Look on the bright side.  Only a few more days til summer.

We're seriously considering home schooling.  Don't know if we'll make that leap but it's been a hot topic of discussion around the Birdma.....Snaggle household.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »

Personally, I think the voucher strategy is a good start.  It could pave the way for more private schools and competition in education, which I believe would drive excellence. 

They spend over $13k per student per year educating kids in Atlanta.  The schools in my area spend less than $9k per student and yields 200-300 points higher on SATs with half the drop-out rate as the Atlanta schools.  I believe they spend over $17k per student in NYC and Chicago, and the results are even worse.  Remove tenure...  Introduce merit and achievement...  And, stop throwing money into a corrupt system...

I'm all for all of that except merit pay. 

Based on evaluations from superiors?  Sure.  That's real business. 

But in real business, the product doesn't randomly try to throw shit at you.  I told a buddy of mine who is a graphic designer that his job would be like mine if his art supplies fought back when he tried to draw things. 

Another example would be Sergio.  Sergio was a great kid in my class last year.  Good grades.  Came in knowing the rules.  Good behavior.  You'd expect him to do really well in my class, and I'm sure "merit pay" would expect to reward me for his success.

But then, in November, his mom lost her mind and wrapped her hands around his neck.  He showed up the next day with awful looking hickies.  I wanted to make fun of him.  Good thing I didn't.  She wanted to murder him.  DHR couldn't get him out of the house.  Go figure. 

Needless to say, Sergio tanked.  Behavior turned to shit.  Grades turned to shit.  Does merit pay take that into account?  I don't trust that it will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
Look on the bright side.  Only a few more days til summer.

We're seriously considering home schooling.  Don't know if we'll make that leap but it's been a hot topic of discussion around the Birdma.....Snaggle household.

I've never met a home schooled kid with a good head on his shoulders.  No offense to anyone here.

I would keep them in public school but just make sure a good education was happening at home as well.  That's how it should be anyway. 

There's plenty of kids in school doing fine.  The honors kids.  That's something else.  Tell teachers and counselors to piss off if they don't recommend your kid for advanced classes.  Put the kid in the tough classes and then help him succeed.  That's his best bet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
It can't be fixed.  Not by legislation.  I figured out with my first supervisor position 8 years ago that I couldn't help people to be responsible with their money.  I couldn't talk them into shredding every credit card offer they get.  I couldn't teach them the importance of being at work on time and being reliable.  I couldn't motivate them to want more.  It was impossible.  Because their parents did a shitty job of raising them and it was too late to change their habits of making bad choices. 

After nearly stressing myself completely out trying to motivate those stupid fucking idiots, I finally figured a few things out.  I don't have enough money and power to fix our country.  And even if I did, it would nearly take a communistic approach to get us back on track.  The only way that we can fix this country is to teach our children responsibility and focus heavily on education and finances.  And I don't mean, put them on the school bus and let them go.  No offense THS, I appreciate the work you guys do with our kids, but IMO, there's only so much you can teach my child.  The rest (and it's a significant portion) is on me.  I have a handful of fun critical thinking skills test that I quiz my two with.  They both respond well to the test, as long as it involves something they are interested in.

Of course, the downside is, my 9 year old is beginning to become argumentative about everything.  The old, "because I said so" bit doesn't fly with him.  He wants to know the rationale to every simple thing I ask of him, then he wants to tell me a better way to do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
Show it to everyone. 

Honestly, man, I don't mean to make you feel bad or anything, but I'm wondering why I'm still here.  I mean, I know it's a job, and it is secure.  I'm tenured, so screw the system, right? 

Was actually going to show the "rant" to the wife, a neighbor that teaches 5th and her husband who teaches Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Physical Science.  He is the football coach and he asked me why I was considering getting back into the game.  Coaching?  Yeah I miss that.  The Kids?  Yeah, it's nice to know that at the end of the day at least one of those little turds is going to be better off b/c of you.  I don't know why, but I am starting to reconsider it.  I took this semester off so I can finish my last two classes this summer and not have to do the observations.  Call it lazy, but I don't see why, since I have taught before, that I have to do an observation of a classroom for the Assessment and Management course that I am taking.  some of the things you mention on here and some of the other teachers I talk to tell me to forget about it and stay where I am at.

Example of something that makes me reconsider:

Yesterday my wife comes home in a rage b/c some child didn't get on the bus and was instead in the car line.  The child is a "bus rider" Mon-Wed and a "car liner" on Thurs-Fri.  This parent calls and is all pissed off b/c she will be late for work and jumps down her throat.  This happend once before with a sub when she was out one day and the mother had the nerve to say "How many times do I have to tell you".  Here is my problem with that.  Why hasn't your kid figured out which line to get in since we are only in the last month of school?  Is that the teachers fault to expect them to know something like this already? 

Same parent had it out with the principal b/c she didn't want to wait in car line, she just wanted to walk in and pick her child up and leave b/c "it's inconvenient for her to have to wait in line".  The principal told her that was fine, but she would have to check the child out of school.  Once she did that and got to that certain number of unexcused checkouts she was turned over to the truancy officer.  She raged and threatens a law suit, the only reason they are acting this way towards her is b/c she is a minority.  Now the whole time I was being told this story, I thought what a bitch this woman is, minority or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
Oh, and THS, I think people like you and several others I know are what is right about education, don't get me wrong, I really do.  I know it's busted.  There are several combos of reason as to why it's busted.  Legislators and State Dept people trying to dictate how and what you are supposed to teach who have never stepped foot in a classroom other than as a student is a major part of it.  Teacher's who have tenure and don't give a poop about the kind of job they do is another.  I heard one of my wife's co-workers (another grade level) mention to another teacher at a school xams party "That's the problem with you and the other young teachers, you want to do things that are "fun and hip".   She is one that will run off more than her allowed usage of worksheets for 2nd graders.  Worksheet's are all she does after instruction.  Ruining them early in my opinion.  If you make it miserable for them that young, they will never like it which will lead to issues down the road.

Too much to really point the finger and say it's one thing.

Token brings up a really good point about it being on him as a parent.  That would be another major problem.  Too many parents look at a school as a baby sitting service.  There is no help at home.  No true reform will ever take place and do any good until parents start taking more of a role at home and start caring about what their child is being taught..........good luck with that one though.  Vouchers maybe?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:34:30 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
I've never met a home schooled kid with a good head on his shoulders.  No offense to anyone here.

I would keep them in public school but just make sure a good education was happening at home as well.  That's how it should be anyway. 

There's plenty of kids in school doing fine.  The honors kids.  That's something else.  Tell teachers and counselors to piss off if they don't recommend your kid for advanced classes.  Put the kid in the tough classes and then help him succeed.  That's his best bet.

What about Tim Tebow? 

The home schooling is more my wife's idea.  As a teacher, she gets so frustrated with what's going on and any time he doesn't succeed, she takes it personally.  She wants him taught the way she would do it.  I'm more along the lines of him staying around other kids, sports etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
What about Tim Tebow? 

The home schooling is more my wife's idea.  As a teacher, she gets so frustrated with what's going on and any time he doesn't succeed, she takes it personally.  She wants him taught the way she would do it.  I'm more along the lines of him staying around other kids, sports etc.

Is your boy circumsized?   If not Timmy could probably help
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »

Simple answer?

We privatize education.  Take it out of the public sector, away from the bloated unions, away from political appointees. 

Another thing that should be done is to change the whole college situation. 

Education should be run thus:

Ages 6-13, basic instruction in English, Math, Science, Writing and Literature.  Combine with health and nutrition programs so they learn what to eat, when to shit and why their little dicks get hard when the wind blows.

Ages 14-17:  Basic instruction in english, math, science, writing and lit.  Combine with health and nutrition programs.  Add in life skills tutoring:  how to balance a checkbook, how to fill out resumes, how to handle interviews, how to work in a team environment.

Age 18 - 20:  Fuck basic english, math, science, writing and lit.  Should have gotten that in the previous 12 years.  For two years you get straight community service.  Military or something of that sort. 

Age 21 - death:  Two tracks:  Apprentice program for those who either cannot master the basics and want to move directly to a factory/working career  or professional track with specific instruction (and performance measures) in the field of choice plus higher level instruction in writing, literature and field-specific math.   Tracks start every three months so if you start out in nursing find you hate it, you can back up and start over as a lawyer or pharmacist or engineer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
I know I've told this before but it came to mind again reading this thread.  Voting day.  I walk in this place and see a guy I know.  Got my "I voted" sticker on.  We get into a conversation and he says he never votes.  I ask why and the reply was....

I ain't votin' cause day don't be schoolifyin' our chidrenz.

Look what you've done THS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
Do I blame minorities?  Do I blame the way we're attempting to help minorities? I can't blame minorities.  I'm not racist. 

Now hold on just a minute.  Recognizing an obvious problem does not mean you are racist. 

If you are shot by a Chinese person, it's not racist to say a Chinese guy shot you.  It's just the truth. 

If minorities are to blame (and through no fault of their own, the social experiement of integration has largely backfired) you're not racist to say that it's so.   

Hate to piss on your party, but that kind of thinking is why we are in this mess.  Nobody's willing to just say what's out there.  Got to be politically correct and fake it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.