Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tornado Relief

Tornado Relief
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:50:04 AM »
Are you doing anything? 

I picked up a bunch of supplies from Wal Mart and donated them to a local donation center. 

My wife and I want to get more hands on involved.  We've seen some volunteer spots to go into North Birmingham.  I'm not so sure I feel comfortable going down there, but I can get over that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: Tornado Relief
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Yep, I'm pretty busy.  I would like to thank you for your willingness to help though.  I posted a thank you on my facebook this morning to everybody that is helping out and not wearing a uniform.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »
Yep, I'm pretty busy.  I would like to thank you for your willingness to help though.  I posted a thank you on my facebook this morning to everybody that is helping out and not wearing a uniform.

What exactly can we do? 

I keep reading conflicting reports.

One article says the amount of volunteers in Tuscaloosa is too much.  Another says volunteers aren't allowed into the areas.  Some say they just need donations. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »
What exactly can we do? 

One article says the amount of volunteers in Tuscaloosa is too much.  Another says volunteers aren't allowed into the areas.  Some say they just need donations.

I'm not real sure.  All I am dealing with is the Military side of things.  Maybe try another area that might not have as big of a population base that's willing to help out.  What you have already done with the donations is a big help in my opinion.  Whatever you do, my heart goes out to you.   :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
Depends on where you go and who you know. 

A lot of areas in Tuscaloosa are closed off unless you know the right people and can get access.  In spite of what Mayor Maddox says, I continue to hear that they are in the process of body counting and for that reason are limiting access to a number of hardest hit areas. 

There are too many people in Tuscaloosa who want to "help" in the guise of gawking.  I've been told that the best help you can provide is to donate to the Red Cross and/or volunteer through them.  If there's a need they will put you in the right place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
What exactly can we do? 

You can help in the Moody/Odenville/Shoal Creek Valley areas.  We worked for a while yesterday in Concord, and couldn't even get into Pleasant Grove.  Then , we went to Odenville and took a generator over to a friend of the family.  Saw all the damage around that area, and I know they can use some help up there. 

Many churches around the Birmingham area (ours included) are setting up as donation spots as well as organizing crews to go out and cut down trees, clean up, etc. 

The thing is that there are many, many spots that have pretty extensive damage.  It's just too bad that the Governor and most of the state's media have decided to camp out in Tuscaloosa.  They could be getting the word out statewide.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Six

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
If you can run a chainsaw (or even if you can't), go to Cullman High School and they will put you in an area to help cleanup. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
Depends on where you go and who you know. 

A lot of areas in Tuscaloosa are closed off unless you know the right people and can get access.  In spite of what Mayor Maddox says, I continue to hear that they are in the process of body counting and for that reason are limiting access to a number of hardest hit areas. 

There are too many people in Tuscaloosa who want to "help" in the guise of gawking.  I've been told that the best help you can provide is to donate to the Red Cross and/or volunteer through them.  If there's a need they will put you in the right place.

Tuscaloosa is going to be much worse in body count than what they are willing to admit now.  Much worse. 

And for those wanting to help, just dropping off supplies to red cross staging areas is much more help than you can imagine.  The Calhoun County area was also hit hard, and many of those people who still have a house standing are remaining there because they have nowhere else to go.  For them to be able to walk to the Red Cross area and get meals for their families means everything in the world. 

And I agree with Buzz.  I know that Tuscaloosa was hit hard and my heart goes out to that community, but many more communities were destroyed by the same tornado from Tuscaloosa all the way to Piedmont.  A lot of people need help. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
Tuscaloosa is going to be much worse in body count than what they are willing to admit now.  Much worse. 

Was told recently by somebody who should know that the number of missing is more than 500 in Tuscaloosa.  Given the extent of the destruction, some may not be "findable."  No longer in human form. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:48:41 AM »
Was told recently by somebody who should know that the number of missing is more than 500 in Tuscaloosa.  Given the extent of the destruction, some may not be "findable."  No longer in human form.

We are now filling a requirement for a 500 Soldier plus up in Tuscaloosa.  We have been told that there are areas that still haven't been searched.  It's really sad to think about those that might have been in those areas that were hanging on to life, praying that a search and rescue team would find them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:56:43 AM »

And for those wanting to help, just dropping off supplies to red cross staging areas is much more help than you can imagine.  The Calhoun County area was also hit hard, and many of those people who still have a house standing are remaining there because they have nowhere else to go.  For them to be able to walk to the Red Cross area and get meals for their families means everything in the world. 

And I agree with Buzz.  I know that Tuscaloosa was hit hard and my heart goes out to that community, but many more communities were destroyed by the same tornado from Tuscaloosa all the way to Piedmont.  A lot of people need help. 
I have a friend that works with the EMA, he went to Tuscaloosa on Thursday & Friday, he said that the Search & Rescue dogs go crazy as soon as they're let go to S&R....he said they're barking almost immediately.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
I mentioned in another thread that they wouldn't let us in to Peasant Grove on Saturday, so we ended up working in Concord.  Saw the live report this morning...I believe it was the first time they have been able to get in.  Now, I understand completely why they wouldn't let us in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Six

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »
Cullman has suspended volunteer ops for the next two days due to the weather.  The pros will still be out there, but it looks like they don't want to endanger civilians if something else happens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »
Unfortunately, too far away and too many obligations (Sounds pretty lame compared to what people are going through) to help physically.  I went through my church's relief effort with contributions of money, water etc. At least help through some entity that has an organized effort going. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
Unfortunately, too far away and too many obligations (Sounds pretty lame compared to what people are going through) to help physically.  I went through my church's relief effort with contributions of money, water etc. At least help through some entity that has an organized effort going.
That helps as much as anything else right now.

We were in the direct path of the Tuscaloosa to Georgia tornado, but were spared.  Not so much as a limb in the yard.  I felt so fortunate that I wanted to do whatever I can to help out the ones that were not spared.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
Might want to think about getting in on the second wave of help.  Keep in mind that a lot of people are going to still be needing assistance in 4 weeks but this will not be front page news anymore and will not be getting the attention that is needed.  Seen it happen before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
Pic from Pleasant Grove.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions