Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fuck this guy too.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Fuck this guy too.
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
NEW YORK -- It began like this:

Carolina Panthers equipment manager Jackie Miles, one of the franchise's original employees, handed the handwritten selection card to an NFL official. The card made its way to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who leaned toward the microphone and at exactly 8:05 p.m. announced that Cameron Jerrell Newton was the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft.

The 6-foot-5 Newton emerged from stage left, took just nine strides to reach Goodell and then beamed for the cameras as he and the commish held a Panthers jersey against their suit jackets.

"Man, you just don't know how I'm feeling right now," said Newton, still smiling. "What I really want to do, I can't do it. I just want to scream."

Newton got what he craved Thursday evening, got what he thought he deserved -- to be the No. 1 overall pick of this NFL draft. But did the Panthers get what they crave -- a quarterback who will transform a faceless, often forgettable small-market franchise into an elite playoff team?

Uh, no.

If you can take a flyer with the No. 1 selection, the Panthers just did it. Gush all you want about Newton's athletic measurables (jaw-dropping) and his college football body of work (two national titles, a Heisman Trophy), but I wouldn't have touched him at No. 1 with a goalpost.

Newton is a walking red flag. I question his ability to make the transition from Auburn's "Please-Cam-Make-Something-Happen" spread offense to a sophisticated pro playbook. I question his past. I question his future.

I guarantee you the Panthers were questioning it too. As recently as the day before the draft, the Panthers had four candidates for the No. 1 pick. You don't do that unless you have compelling doubts about Newton, or unless you want to deke teams into wanting to trade up.

"For a long time I would go asleep with questions like, 'Where am I going?"' said Newton, who wasn't sure of his destination until Panthers coach Ron Rivera called him in the Green Room with the news.

No general manager would admit it publicly, but here's guessing there were more than a few GMs who didn't envy the Panthers' dilemma. That's because Newton is the ultimate risk/reward player. His talent is overwhelming, but so are the concerns about his pro potential.

Newton washed out at Florida and then spent a single junior college season in a Texas town so small it barely had its own pin in the map.

He stayed just one year at Auburn and left with a BCS championship and a Heisman. But he also left behind a string of controversies as long as beer cans tied to a wedding couple's getaway car.

You know about his old man trying to shop Newton to Mississippi State for $180,000. You know that Newton played for three programs in four years. You know that he couldn't recite a single Auburn offensive play when ESPN NFL analyst Jon Gruden asked him to do so during a film session.

What does it all mean? Maybe a lot. Maybe nothing.

After all, Newton often performed spectacularly despite public, media and NCAA scrutiny. He played hurt. He led comebacks. He won a national title at Blinn College and a national title at Auburn. He won a Heisman. You could argue that if anyone can handle the blocking sled-weight of being the No. 1 pick in the draft -- and all the expectations that come with it -- Newton is your guy.

Nobody in college football has had a more tumultuous and interesting four years than Newton. From Gainesville, Fla., to Brenham, Texas, to Auburn, Ala., to center stage of Radio City Music Hall. From Tim Tebow backup to War Eagle legend. Newton makes the Dos Equis guy look dull.

Unlike his former teammate at Florida, Newton doesn't have to rebuild his throwing motion from scratch. And Newton's arm strength and throwing mechanics are better and cleaner than the player he's most often compared to, Vince Young.

At Carolina, Newton will replace Jimmy Clausen, the 2010 second-round pick from Notre Dame. Both Clausen and Brady Quinn (a 2007 first-rounder) were products of Charlie Weis' pro-style offense. They could recite plays out the wazoo. And both are NFL non-factors now.

Of course, Tebow, Young, Clausen and Quinn weren't the first names announced on their draft nights. And none of them began their careers as opening day starters.

Newton better be the starter when Carolina begins its regular season Sept. 11 at Arizona -- otherwise, what was the point of drafting him? He'll face the toughest 2011 schedule in the league (a combined nine games against Green Bay, Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, New Orleans and Tampa Bay). And opposing defensive coordinators are already devising schemes to terrorize the rookie.

"I understand today that everybody's not just going to stop and say, 'All right, that's Cam, he's the No. 1 pick, now leave him alone,"' Newton said. "More than anything, the floodgates have opened officially."

If I were the Panthers, I would have taken Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus instead of Newton. It would have been the safer, more productive pick. And being safe isn't such a bad thing, especially since this is the first time Carolina has used its No. 1 overall pick. Plus, the Panthers haven't had a first-round selection since 2008.

Or, if possible, I would have traded down. The Panthers don't have a second-round selection, but they do have more roster holes than a punting net. They could have stuck with Clausen, drafted a quarterback later, gotten more value, gotten more picks and perhaps saved some money.

But the Panthers weren't interested in safe. They were interested in a dare-to-be-great scenario. I respect that. I don't agree with it in this case, but I respect it.

And I respect Newton for thinking he can become the league's next great, young quarterback. But I don't see that either. He won't crash and burn like VY did in just five seasons at Tennessee. But is he the next Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman or Matt Ryan? Doubtful.

"I won't say I have more to prove to people," he said. "I have more to prove to myself."

Newton has a history of proving skeptics wrong and his trophy case right. But the Panthers overreached Thursday night. They just don't know it yet.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Fuck this guy too.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
I stopped reading half way through.  Does he not know that the Panthers went to pain-staking efforts to check into everything in his past, brought in all the other top QB's for interviews and workouts....basically...did their homework.  The guy has been incredibly successful everywhere he's been. (When he had the opportunity)

Any team in the NFL needs a top flight QB to make it to the top.  It starts there..period.  No disrespect to Dareus but exactly how does he make Carolina that much better?  Detroit got themselves an Ndomiganopilm Su.  Yeah, he made the line more stout but they started getting off the mat when they drafted Stafford.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
And yeah, Stafford got his shit pushed in with a crappy line around him but you get that addressed and he's gonna kick ass...on Thanksgiving Day
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
Every single player in the draft is a risk, to some extent. Newton is no more of a risk than any other QB in the draft. He's more athletic and has better mechanics than Tebow was when drafted. Newton has a good work ethic, and that will come in handy when learning more of a traditional NFL pro-style offense. I really don't know if he has it between the ears or not, so I won't give an opinion on that. No idea what classes he took, grades, etc.

I just don't see where this is that big of a deal. Worse case scenario, Newton busts, and Carolina is right back to where they were minus some cash. They should know how that goes by now, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »
Fuck that baby ass pussy whiner. 

I hope Cam gets the opportunity to shove a football right down his fucking piehole. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »
You know about his old man trying to shop Newton to Mississippi State for $180,000. You know that Newton played for three programs in four years. You know that he couldn't recite a single Auburn offensive play when ESPN NFL analyst Jon Gruden asked him to do so during a film session.

Stopped reading right there.  Idiot, plain and simple. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »
I'll say this again because it needs repeating, the scrutiny against all things Cam Newton is HISTORICAL. I've never seen this much hatred towards one individual in my life.  Micheal Vick? Nope. OJ Simpson? Nope. Mike Tyson? Nope. "Pac Man" Jones? Nope. Terrell Owens? Nope. Dennis Rodman? Nope. Kobi Bryant? Nope.  None of them have faced the amount of hatred that Cam Newton has faced.  Heaven forbid Cam has a few bad games.
If Cam doesn't QB Carolina to a Super Bowl within 4 years, he's going to be labeled a failure, regardless of his accomplishments on the field.  That's his wiggle room.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
I'll say this again because it needs repeating, the scrutiny against all things Cam Newton is HISTORICAL. I've never seen this much hatred towards one individual in my life.  Micheal Vick? Nope. OJ Simpson? Nope. Mike Tyson? Nope. "Pac Man" Jones? Nope. Terrell Owens? Nope. Dennis Rodman? Nope. Kobi Bryant? Nope.  None of them have faced the amount of hatred that Cam Newton has faced.  Heaven forbid Cam has a few bad games.
If Cam doesn't QB Carolina to a Super Bowl within 4 years, he's going to be labeled a failure, regardless of his accomplishments on the field.  That's his wiggle room.

I never read anything about the NFL draft on any boards where folks are not openly desiring his failure.  Not merely predicting it, though there are many that are, but a great number are hoping for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
I never read anything about the NFL draft on any boards where folks are not openly desiring his failure.  Not merely predicting it, though there are many that are, but a great number are hoping for it.

People hated Jesus, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
People hated Jesus, too.

I think I read that in a book somewhere. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
People hated Jesus, too.

And they killed him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
And they killed him.

For 3 days, then he came back pretty strong. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
People hated Jesus, too.

With great success comes great envy.

Says more about the haters than the hated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE