Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mass Exodus At uat

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Mass Exodus At uat
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
Always fun to watch the perpetual tumoil at the crapstone.

Tubs, Picket, Gee, Hendrix, & Steele gone. Am I leaving anyone out?
Pickett, UA at odds over suspension
Conflicting accounts surface regarding suspended freshman
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
By GENTRY ESTES
Sports Reporter
TUSCALOOSA -- Point guard Rico Pickett's career with Alabama's basketball program may be headed toward an abrupt end.

Crimson Tide coach Mark Gottfried suspended Pickett indefinitely Sunday night for "failure to comply with team rules."

On Monday morning, Pickett's father said in an interview with his hometown newspaper that his son intends to transfer to another school after one season at Alabama.

"He is transferring. That is a fact," Enrico Pickett told the Decatur Daily. "You heard it from me."

Attempts by the Press-Register to contact Pickett's father and high school coach Monday were unsuccessful. Gottfried declined comment on the situation, referring back to his statement issued when announcing Pickett's suspension.

"We have standards and levels academically as well as athletically that our student-athletes need to meet," Gottfried said in the statement, "and there are consequences when they fail to do that."

Pickett's suspension was reportedly tied to his attendance at off-the-court academic sessions, according to a team source. But his father said the punishment was a result of his wanting to transfer from the Tide.

"He told them that he wanted to leave," Enrico Pickett said. "They told him they weren't going to release him. This is their way of fighting back, saying that he is suspended for academic reasons. He has the same grades that he has had since he has been at Alabama."

These conflicting accounts Monday have not yet resulted in Rico Pickett's official departure from the team. He remained enrolled at UA as of Monday afternoon, according to a school official. A source close to the situation contradicted Enrico Pickett's statement by saying Rico Pickett had not formally asked to be release from his scholarship and that a transfer was not yet imminent.

Pickett signed with Alabama out of Decatur High School as one of the top point guard prospects in America. He started 20 games for the Tide this season as a true freshman.

He was expected to contribute heavily next season, especially given the uncertain status of redshirting senior Ronald Steele, who has called a press conference for today and is expected to declare for the NBA Draft.

Steele's father told the Press-Register on Saturday that his son has decided to enter him name for draft but "more than likely" will return after testing the professional waters.

All-SEC junior forward Richard Hendrix has also said he will declare for the draft with the option of returning for next season.
In numbers crunch, UA guard Tubbs to transfer
Posted by tarenber April 08, 2008 11:23 AM
TUSCALOOSA - University of Alabama sophomore guard Justin Tubbs has informed the Crimson Tide coaching staff he will transfer, according to a source who spoke with Tubbs.

Tubbs, a 6-foot-3 reserve from Trussville, played 12.3 minutes and averaged 3.1 points as the 11th man off the bench. The source said Tubbs has been looking to transfer for some time because he likely would have been left out in a scholarship numbers crunch for next season.

If two players who are testing the NBA draft waters - Ronald Steele and Richard Hendrix - return, and if point guard Rico Pickett decides to stay at UA, the Tide would have 13 players on scholarship. That's the NCAA limit, leaving Tubbs on the outside.

Ian R. Rapoport

UA's Hendrix to enter NBA draft but won't sign with an agent
Thursday, March 27, 2008
IAN R. RAPOPORT
News staff writer
TUSCALOOSA - While keeping his options open, Richard Hendrix said Wednesday he will enter the NBA Draft a year early with "the highest hopes and best expectations."

The University of Alabama standout forward will not sign with an agent, meaning he retains his eligibility should he decide to return to the Crimson Tide as a senior. The 6-foot-9, 255-pound All-Southeastern Conference selection from Athens averaged 17.8 points and 10.1 rebounds this year.

"I have the opportunity to explore the possibilities and test the waters without any penalty," said Hendrix, the only SEC player to average a double-double in scoring and rebounding. "It's always been a goal to play at the next level. If the opportunity presents itself, I'll give it a try."

The deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft is April 27, while the deadline to withdraw is June 16, 10 days before the draft.

As Hendrix works toward becoming the first Alabama basketball player to graduate within three years, he will attempt to gather as much information as possible from NBA officials and experts. He did not say that he must be a projected first-round selection to follow through, but did say that's "where anyone would want to be. You don't want to make a decision you end up regretting."

The goal is to avoid the path of former UA standouts Kennedy Winston, Schea Cotton and Rod Grizzard, who exited early and did not make an NBA team. Only first-round picks receive guaranteed contracts.

Opinions from online mock drafts vary.

MyNBAdraft.com projects Hendrix as the 29th pick overall by the Pistons. NBADraft.net has him as the 40th pick going to the Pacers. DraftExpress.com believes Hendrix will go 25th to the SuperSonics. He is the 29th best player overall, according to ESPN.com.

Coach Mark Gottfried said he would assist Hendrix in the fact-finding process. He supports Hendrix's decision because "you always want your players to do well."

He also expects to help advise Hendrix on whether to stay in the draft.

"Some players may want to be in the first round, some want to be in the top 10," Gottfried said. "I would tell all these guys I would not be excited for them if they're selected in the second round. I am going to hold true to my beliefs on that."

Hendrix and his Crimson Tide teammates suffered through a difficult 2007-08 season that included a 17-16 overall record, a 5-11 mark in the SEC, and no postseason appearance. He had previously said he had unfinished business on campus, but added Wednesday that regardless of his decision, "the Alabama program is going to be fine."

As he awaits graduation, Hendrix will work out on campus with the strength coaches and the basketball staff. After he graduates, he will likely be asked to attend the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando on May 27-30. In the ensuing two weeks, he may attend individual workouts for NBA teams.

Then he'll make a final decision.

"Richard wants to go after this full-speed ahead, and that's the way it should be," Gottfried said. "Key people within NBA franchises will be very frank and honest at the right time."

It's not clear if Hendrix will be the only UA player to submit his name. Gottfried said junior Alonzo Gee and senior Ronald Steele, who missed the season because of injuries, have not decided what they will do.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:48:01 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

Re: Mass Exodus At uat
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:00:09 PM »
Maybe my purchase of www.keepmarkgottfried.com will come in handy after all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
Just let me know if you need any columns for that site. :clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:35:35 AM »
Gottfried is in a world of shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
No biggee.  They're rollin' 5..no wait...2....umm 1 deep at...

Shit, this team ain't deep anywhere.  Holy crap, an Auburn fan talking basketball smack.  Something inherently wrong with this picture.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Aubie16

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:03:01 PM »
I really really hope Steele and Hendrix end up leaving. That would be awesome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
If I were in Tuscaloosa I would want to leave too, hell I don't even like stoping there to get gas
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:33:42 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions