Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Negative Recruiting - It's Real

Negative Recruiting - It's Real
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »
Under Armour All-American WR Avery Johnson (Pompano Beach, Fla./Blanche Ely) said from the beginning that he's a soft commitment to LSU, where his older brother -- Patrick Peterson -- went to school.

So it's not surprising when the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder decides to check out another school. Originally the plan was for Johnson to head to Auburn for the Tigers' spring game, but apparently those plans have changed.

"There's been some miscommunications, I'm going to Florida State this weekend for their spring game," Johnson said.

When asked why he made the change Johnson said that Auburn "has too much going on right now" and wouldn't elaborate further. With Auburn seemingly out of the picture, that leaves a group of Miami, FSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, North Carolina and Georgia that are catching Johnson's interest.

This will be Johnson's second trip to Tallahassee and this time he wants to take a closer look at the program and the community in general.

"I just want to enjoy the game and check out the fan base and how the people treat each other," Johnson said. "I want to check out the receivers and see where their passing game is."

Johnson says he likes new FSU starting quarterback E.J. Manuel.

"He has started a few games in the past and he's a real good quarterback," Johnson said. "I think he's going to have a real good season for them."

In recent weeks Johnson has particularly expressed an interest in Miami. He admits to having grown up a Canes fan and is impressed with the new coaching staff led by Al Golden.

"Miami could be ready to come up this year and make some noise," Johnson said. "I like the fact that this coaching staff is ready to put the best players on the field. Whether they be freshmen or sophomores or whatever. In the spring they have had true freshmen on the first team and that surprised me a little."

One of the keys for Johnson will be early playing time or at least the opportunity to get on the field early. That is one thing that has allowed Georgia to move up on his board.

"I'm a big A.J. Green fan and I saw the way the program let him challenge for a starting spot as a freshman and he won it," Johnson said. "And he started pretty much every game for the next three years."

As spring football approaches, the visits are winding down for Johnson and it's likely FSU will be the last school he sees before the summer. Although he couldn't make the trip for LSU's spring game last weekend, he will probably be on the campus soon after spring football ends. He is also planning other trips.

"I'm going to be taking a lot of unofficials this summer," Johnson said. "I'm going to do some camping but not too much. Mostly some unannounced visits."

But between now and the start of spring football on May 2 there are more pressing matters -- like seeing his brother selected early in the NFL draft.

Peterson is currently No. 3 in Todd McShay's Top 32 and is projected to go in the top 10.

"I'm real excited for him and I'm just happy that it's coming to an end and he'll be on a team finally," Johnson said. "It's a lot to take in but I can't wait until [April 28]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6362644
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

Re: Negative Recruiting - It's Real
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
Is this why Auburn can't just write down it's order in recruiting?

It's true. The numbers are down and there is plenty of room. Shouldn't the defending champs be able to just show a five star FB or DT the depth chart? What is the hold up, the positives are obvious and there is no more room in Tuscaloosa save for grayshirts. Why is Auburn not cleaning up?

I think it's a legitimate question. There's no panic. I'm just curious what you think at this stage.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Is this why Auburn can't just write down it's order in recruiting?

It's true. The numbers are down and there is plenty of room. Shouldn't the defending champs be able to just show a five star FB or DT the depth chart? What is the hold up, the positives are obvious and there is no more room in Tuscaloosa save for grayshirts. Why is Auburn not cleaning up?

I think it's a legitimate question. There's no panic. I'm just curious what you think at this stage.

Usually its the following year after the winning of a Championship that a team benefits in recruiting. We'll see if this holds up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
Not to mention we have not exactly been having bad recruiting classes. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »

I think you're on to something there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
Cash+Whore's= #winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.