Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Breaking Bad

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Breaking Bad
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »
The Sopranos is still the better overall show but last night's episode of Breaking Bad was absolute quality. 

So many shows drift and fade as they near their end, the Sopranos included.  It veered into absolute silliness with the gay Vito storyline and the numerous killings toward the end. 

I've drawn parallels between the father/son dynamic of Tony and Christopher versus Walt and Jesse. Last night gave me more of the same.  In a similar fashion in Season 5 Chris thinks Tony has betrayed him by sleeping with Adriana and comes unhinged, going after Tony in the club and later having an emotional breakdown almost. 

Each was awesome in its own way, but the scene in the desert in Breaking Bad was nearly perfect.  It brought me back to a desert scene in the final season of The Sopranos which was, in comparison, completely stupid, totally out of character and poorly imagined.  In that, Tony slept with a hookerish supposed friend of Chris' (delectable Sarah Shahi) who'd never once been mentioned in the show previously (nor had Chris ever going to Vegas been part of the narrative), took peyote and had some worthless epiphany. 

Last night was the exact opposite.  It was tight, well acted, illuminating and central to refining both primary characters. 

I think it's beautiful how the series started with herding everyone into rooting for Walt and has now turned that in a different direction and has begun to drive that some of that same herd into openly hoping for his destruction.  Never at the hands of Hank, though. 

The Sopranos muddled its way to an inconclusive end.  Breaking Bad, so far, isn't taking that track. These last episodes are among the best of the series and there's something to be said for that.  The list of shows that wobbled to the end is long and distinguished.  (MASH, Cheers, Sopranos, Seinfeld, L&O, etc.)  The list of those just as good at the end as any time in the series is very short.

Hope this one can keep this pace to the finale.
Agree with everything but the first clause.

Sopranos gets points for setting a new bar for what television dramas can be. That much is certain. Not knocking it in its own right. But in a side-by-side comparison, BB blows it out of the water. In my opinion, it is clearly head and shoulders above everything else that has ever been on television.

***SPOILERS***

The layers, as we've analyzed and over analyzed, are beyond compare. Walt's videotaped confession? In retrospect, it made 110% sense, and was all in front of our faces as the obvious solution the whole time, yet it didn't occur to me, and no one spoiled it for me, so I'm assuming it didn't occur to many. And yet it's air tight.

Not using this as an example, but as an aside, after watching Talking Bad last night, I only just realized the "S'all Good, Man" pun.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Agree with everything but the first clause.

Sopranos gets points for setting a new bar for what television dramas can be. That much is certain. Not knocking it in its own right. But in a side-by-side comparison, BB blows it out of the water. In my opinion, it is clearly head and shoulders above everything else that has ever been on television.

***SPOILERS***

The layers, as we've analyzed and over analyzed, are beyond compare. Walt's videotaped confession? In retrospect, it made 110% sense, and was all in front of our faces as the obvious solution the whole time, yet it didn't occur to me, and no one spoiled it for me, so I'm assuming it didn't occur to many. And yet it's air tight.

Not using this as an example, but as an aside, after watching Talking Bad last night, I only just realized the "S'all Good, Man" pun.

Not going to get drawn into the "which is better" debate, because there's not much debate.  Sopranos (through five seasons) was much superior.  It was never about what it was about and most people didn't get that.  There were no throwaway lines in the series ever. A random line from the first episode of the season had meaning in the tenth episode of the fourth.

Final season vs. final season?  Breaking Bad is the clear winner so far. I say so far because there's still time to veer off into a gay Jesse, gay Huell, let's go to Vegas and count cards scenario but I can't see that happening.  But for the first five seasons there never was and hasn't been anything that measures up to Sopranos. 

Breaking Bad is a more compact show.  Fewer layers of character.  Basically it's a tripod with Walter, Jesse and Hank.  The rest are "as needed" pieces.  Sopranos managed a much larger dynamic with Tony, Sil, Paulie, Chris, Johnny Sack, Bobby, Artie, Furio.  And the females were much stronger and more fleshed out -- Ade, Janice, Charmaine and especially Carmella and Melfi. 

Ok, so I did go there again but don't want to.  Each show is worthy of praise. 

I'm much happier with the rush to the end of Breaking Bad than I was the tumble of The Sopranos and that I currently am the asinine meandering of what was once a very solid show in Dexter.  Used to love that show but now it's so lame I can barely watch it.  It disappoints me greatly.  There's a fair comparison of two shows reaching their respective ends.  One is great, the other a miasma of nothing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
A few questions from last night:

1.  What was the purpose of the Todd segment?  We already knew he was going to be the cook.  I felt like he and the other two guys were being really careless with the train heist story in the restaurant.  I guess that was to show that Todd's blabber dumbass mouth is going to give Walt away to the police.  Also, the blood on the dude's shoes.  Was that Todd's?  The waitress?  Someone else's?  Was he pissing blood?  That was a very unclear scene.

2.  Was Walt's house burned in the first episode of season 5b?  Can't remember.

3.  Where was Hank going when he left the office?  I think he was going to Walt's.  I think he'll freak out and instinctually will phone for help when he sees his sister-in-law's house on fire.  Also will probably punch Jesse again.  Who knows though.  Just guessing here. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
A few questions from last night:

1.  What was the purpose of the Todd segment?  We already knew he was going to be the cook.  I felt like he and the other two guys were being really careless with the train heist story in the restaurant.  I guess that was to show that Todd's blabber dumbass mouth is going to give Walt away to the police.  Also, the blood on the dude's shoes.  Was that Todd's?  The waitress?  Someone else's?  Was he pissing blood?  That was a very unclear scene.

2.  Was Walt's house burned in the first episode of season 5b?  Can't remember.

3.  Where was Hank going when he left the office?  I think he was going to Walt's.  I think he'll freak out and instinctually will phone for help when he sees his sister-in-law's house on fire.  Also will probably punch Jesse again.  Who knows though.  Just guessing here.

Prior to the meeting, Todd was on the phone leaving someone a voicemail.  Based on the message he left, I'm assuming it was Walt (he starts out with, "I know you're probably busy with retirement...").  I believe Todd was bragging to the guys (one of which I am assuming is Todd's criminal uncle that he mentioned in an earlier season) about the train heist in order to show how bright Walt is.  Either he told the guys that he would be able to get Walt back in the business, or he was assuring them that he was the guy for the job because he was trained by Walt.

Either way, I think Todd wants Walt's help and was leaving him a voicemail to reach out to him.  You'll recall that Lydia said that Todd's first cook without Walt was 74%.  Although Todd was trained by Walt and assured these guys that he could get the lab set up right, I think Todd knows he can't produce the same quality as Walt, and thus wants him to help in some sort of way with the new operation that he'll be running.

I have no clue about the blood.  I think it was just meant to show how crazy Todd's uncle is.  Or it was blood left over from the massacre, and it was a weak attempt at pointing out that this was one of the same guys hired by Lydia to kill the previous meth lab operators.  Also, when he is wiping away the blood, you see the swastika tattoo he has on his hand, so I think the general purpose of that scene was to show that Todd's uncle is a murderous Nazi.  Maybe it will be revealed to be something different in the future, but I have no clue where, when, and how he could have gotten blood on his shoes between the meeting with Todd and that scene.

I don't recall seeing any fire damage in his abandoned house, so I'm assuming Jesse does not light the house on fire for one reason or another.  Ever wonder who the fuck is taking care of the baby while Walt and Skyler are at the carwash?  Maybe Jesse is going to look up and see someone holding the baby and staring at him in bewilderment, causing Jesse to run out without finishing the job.

Hank was at the office at the end of the show?  I'll have to rewatch the ending...I thought the last scene with Hank in it was when Marie revealed that Walt paid for his medical bills.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »

Hank was at the office at the end of the show?  I'll have to rewatch the ending...I thought the last scene with Hank in it was when Marie revealed that Walt paid for his medical bills.

I'm fairly certain Hank's last scene was him telling his secretary to cancel his 3 o'clock and that he was going out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2013, 01:46:28 PM »
I'm fairly certain Hank's last scene was him telling his secretary to cancel his 3 o'clock and that he was going out.

I do recall that now.  He may end up going to Walt's house, but I don't think he's going to get to Jesse.  Walt will likely get there first.  Otherwise, you've got a situation where Jesse is extremely pissed at Walt and would realistically rat him out if Hank got to him first.  I think they'll want the viewer to think that Hank will get to him, but there will be some sudden dramatic twist.  Walt will probably get there just in the nick of time, somehow subdue Jesse, and then casually answer the door when Hank arrives.

Also, in regard to the blood on the shoe scene, it may be an attempt to show that these guys are not as careful as Walt.  When Walt and Jesse cleaned up dead bodies, they wore gloves and suits and disposed of the bodies via acid.  Todd's uncle carelessly leaves blood on his everyday boots and does a half-assed job at cleaning them in a public restroom, shortly after meeting in a public place and discussing Mr. White's (not "Heisenberg's") brilliance in previous criminal activities.  I think the scene was a general overview of how careless and crazy these guys are, and that Todd is trying to bring Walt into their operation.  My guess is that Walt is coming back to kill these guys in the flash forward scenes; the gun's for them, and the ricin is for Lydia.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:44:11 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
This is Stephanie.  She loves Breaking Bad.  Would you like to see my O-face?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
This is Stephanie.  She loves Breaking Bad.  Would you like to see my O-face?

She's wearing green and yellow...she's definitely going to die at some point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »
She's wearing green and yellow...she's definitely going to die at some point.

Skills.  You got them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2013, 12:50:31 AM »
Rabid Dog -

Good episode.  A little slowly paced. Still not buying Jesse and Hank's alliance.  Seems forced in a way. 

Like Marie, hate Skyler even more than ever.

Liked the shot of Hank's bookcase.  Bunch of Stephen King books and the boxed set of Deadwood.  Nice touch. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2013, 01:15:22 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the Hank/Jesse alliance either.  If it was quick, I'd take it.  Catch Jesse when he's in a fit of rage and get him to spew a bunch of details and hope for a tip on hard evidence?  Sure.  But where is this going?  Where does Walt "truly live?"  In his meth?  His family?  In fear?

No idea.  But Jesse is not going to outsmart Walt.  That can't be how this ends.  Walt IS the danger.  That's been the path of the show from day one.  Walt may be a bitch.  He may be manipulative.  He may get himself into a bit of trouble, but he's always had a trick up his sleeve.  I can't see Jesse being the one to be his undoing. 

We'll see though.  I'm sad that there's only a few episodes left.  Seems like so much has to happen in that time frame.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2013, 03:13:58 AM »
The Todd segement last episode with the close up of blood on his uncle's shoe, makes more sense now the Walt called Todd to ask for his uncles help killing Jessie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
Probably wrong, but I'm of the opinion that the call isn't about Jesse.  Kill somebody else maybe? 

Kill Skyler. Kill Hank. Get up on Marie.

Used to hate Marie. Like her now for some reason.  She was funny on Talking Bad.  Don't care about the son one way or another. The show would have been just as good if he were never a part of it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »
Rabid Dog -

Good episode.  A little slowly paced. Still not buying Jesse and Hank's alliance.  Seems forced in a way. 

Like Marie, hate Skyler even more than ever.

Liked the shot of Hank's bookcase.  Bunch of Stephen King books and the boxed set of Deadwood.  Nice touch.
Just proves that Deadwood was a great series.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
Probably wrong, but I'm of the opinion that the call isn't about Jesse.  Kill somebody else maybe? 

Kill Skyler. Kill Hank. Get up on Marie.

Used to hate Marie. Like her now for some reason.  She was funny on Talking Bad.  Don't care about the son one way or another. The show would have been just as good if he were never a part of it.
Kill everyone wearing green, yellow, red or any Chinese lettering on their clothing or a tattoo of a Dragon Fly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:03 AM »
Kill everyone wearing green, yellow, red or any Chinese lettering on their clothing or a tattoo of a Dragon Fly.
They talked a little bit about the role color plays in the series on Talking Bad this week.

The creators of the show mentioned that Skyler's wardrobe, which had always been blue to represent blissful ignorance, towards the end of the series became a dried out beige to symbolize the life being sucked out of her, and also moved towards greens and blacks to symbolize solidarity with Walt.

So the skreets are definitely wrong on this one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »
They talked a little bit about the role color plays in the series on Talking Bad this week.

The creators of the show mentioned that Skyler's wardrobe, which had always been blue to represent blissful ignorance, towards the end of the series became a dried out beige to symbolize the life being sucked out of her, and also moved towards greens and blacks to symbolize solidarity with Walt.

So the skreets are definitely wrong on this one.
I'll just continue to wear this...

...that way I'll know what's going to happen next, it'll be like my own Breaking Bad Wikipedia on my finger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »
Speechless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
That was intense.  But...it was lame drawing out the shoot out.  Hank and Gomez versus guys with semiautomatics.  Should have ended in five seconds. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
That was intense.  But...it was lame drawing out the shoot out.  Hank and Gomez versus guys with semiautomatics.  Should have ended in five seconds.

Gunfights don't end as fast as Hollywood would lead you to believe. Most shots are missed. Especially with automatic or semiautomatic weapons. There is also a lot more urine and vomit involved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions