Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Breaking Bad

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Breaking Bad
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
If I recall correctly, Marie ran over the next door kid's toy car a few seasons ago.  One of the recent episodes shows Walt almost running over it, but avoiding it.

Thoughts?  This obviously foreshadows the possibility of something, but I don't know what.  I think Marie ran over the toy car shortly after being caught stealing.  Maybe this alludes to the fact that, unlike Marie, Walt won't get caught?
!!!!!

I like this. I mentioned the toy car as some symbolism that I wasn't getting as well to the Puerto Rican when we were watching it.

He's still not behind bars when his house is boarded up. The symbolism could still fit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
Seems a bit nitpicky even for Vince's style. 

We also know that Walt does get caught or at least exposed.  His house was boarded up, fenced, and had Heisenberg spray painted inside of it. 

I could see it maybe being a subtle reminder that Marie was a thief in older episodes.  Hank sees Walt as a monster because he's breaking the law that Hank is supposed to protect.  Marie stole and stole (remember Hank said "again" when he found out about the tiara) and he always got her out of it without seeing her as a bad guy.

I don't think it's merely a subtle reminder of Marie being a thief; there's something to be said about the fact that Walt avoided hitting the car in a fit of anger/anxiety, whereas Marie did hit the car in a fit of anger/anxiety.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, but they intentionally re-introduced the toy car and purposefully showed Walt not hitting it to juxtapose it with Marie hitting it.  To me, it looks like more of a comparison than a mere reminder.

Maybe it is an example of how Hank sees Marie as a good guy despite her illegal actions, whereas he sees Walt as a bad guy because of his illegal actions...but that wouldn't really fit, because a good guy wouldn't crush a kid's car.  Instead, maybe it's commentary on how Marie's actions were selfish (and so she destroys a kid's car), and Walt's actions were for his family (and so he doesn't destroy a kid's car).

I don't know exactly what was being conveyed, but I do think it's more of a comparison between Marie and Walt than it is a mere reminder of Marie's previous actions.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:13:39 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
The toy car Marie runs over was a red truck, wasn't it? 

And Walt runs over a yellow muscle car.

I know Vince is big on colors. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
The toy car Marie runs over was a red truck, wasn't it? 

And Walt runs over a yellow muscle car.

I know Vince is big on colors.

I don't recall the type of car, but I do think it was red.

Red means stop, yellow means caution...?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
I think this is a bit of a reach, but it does attempt to tie the color yellow to a variety of events/characters:

http://imgur.com/a/hwmnX
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »
I just like the show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
I like traffic lights.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
I think this is a bit of a reach, but it does attempt to tie the color yellow to a variety of events/characters:

http://imgur.com/a/hwmnX
Interesting.

The symbolism of Marie's purple has been driving me crazy. Maybe it's just to contrast the rare few exceptions so that you're supposed to notice when she's wearing yellow?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
I just like the show.
I've had girlfriends that just like watching football despite not understanding the difference between a wide receiver and a running back.

It's cute and all, but not the target audience.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:02:18 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »
I've had girlfriends that just like watching football despite understanding the difference between a wide receiver and a running back.

It's cute and all, but not the target audience.

What if it's not as deep as all that? 

What if he just likes to show remote control cars because his kid likes them?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:39 PM »
What if it's not as deep as all that? 

What if he just likes to show remote control cars because his kid likes them?
Exactly twice in the series? Once with it being crushed and once with it almost being crushed?

That's not random in works of fiction. Especially not one as layered as BB has already proven to be. Wouldn't be surprised if these Chinese letters meant something profoundly significant.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Exactly twice in the series? Once with it being crushed and once with it almost being crushed?

That's not random in works of fiction. Especially not one as layered as BB has already proven to be. Wouldn't be surprised if these Chinese letters meant something profoundly significant.

"Bumble"
"Bee"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
"Bumble"
"Bee"
Yeah, but 00892-B...

The two zeroes represent emptiness even when you're with someone. 89. Who won the Super Bowl in 89? The 49ers. Substitute the 89 for a 49. Now you have 00(emptiness) 4(for) 92. '92 was when Nirvana's Nevermind was released. Kurt Cobain had this same feeling of emptiness and inevitably blew his brains out. Walt's going to commit suicide. And the -B is for Breaking Bad. Duh.

Also, the hex code 0892B is exactly this color.

The exact color used in the intro...just sayin'...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:22:53 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »

The symbolism of Marie's purple has been driving me crazy. Maybe it's just to contrast the rare few exceptions so that you're supposed to notice when she's wearing yellow?

This one bugs me, too.  It's not just her wardrobe.  It's her home furnishings: couch, rug...hell, her fucking tea kettle was purple in the last episode.

The obvious guess is the royal connotation of the color, but what is regal about the fucking Schrader house?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
The obvious guess is the royal connotation of the color, but what is regal about the fucking Schrader house?

The tiara that she stole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
The tiara that she stole.

Hadn't considered that at all.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
This one bugs me, too.  It's not just her wardrobe.  It's her home furnishings: couch, rug...hell, her fucking tea kettle was purple in the last episode.

The more I thought about the "Yellow" thing, I think it's pretty obvious that the whole purple thing only served the purpose of it being startlingly inconsistent when yellow slowly started sneaking into her wardrobe. You're supposed to notice that something is afoot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »
Was she wearing yellow when talking about taking prenatal vitamins or was that a different scene?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »
From reading these pages, when the Show ends some people here will be happy, some won't be and some, like me, will be happy either way because they enjoyed the show and didn't try to figure out the next move by watching the color of the traffic lights or counting how many silver vehicles Walt passed on his way to see his Lawyer.
Maybe the writer likes the color yellow and hates red...just a thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:55 AM »
The Sopranos is still the better overall show but last night's episode of Breaking Bad was absolute quality. 

So many shows drift and fade as they near their end, the Sopranos included.  It veered into absolute silliness with the gay Vito storyline and the numerous killings toward the end. 

I've drawn parallels between the father/son dynamic of Tony and Christopher versus Walt and Jesse. Last night gave me more of the same.  In a similar fashion in Season 5 Chris thinks Tony has betrayed him by sleeping with Adriana and comes unhinged, going after Tony in the club and later having an emotional breakdown almost. 

Each was awesome in its own way, but the scene in the desert in Breaking Bad was nearly perfect.  It brought me back to a desert scene in the final season of The Sopranos which was, in comparison, completely stupid, totally out of character and poorly imagined.  In that, Tony slept with a hookerish supposed friend of Chris' (delectable Sarah Shahi) who'd never once been mentioned in the show previously (nor had Chris ever going to Vegas been part of the narrative), took peyote and had some worthless epiphany. 

Last night was the exact opposite.  It was tight, well acted, illuminating and central to refining both primary characters. 

I think it's beautiful how the series started with herding everyone into rooting for Walt and has now turned that in a different direction and has begun to drive that some of that same herd into openly hoping for his destruction.  Never at the hands of Hank, though. 

The Sopranos muddled its way to an inconclusive end.  Breaking Bad, so far, isn't taking that track. These last episodes are among the best of the series and there's something to be said for that.  The list of shows that wobbled to the end is long and distinguished.  (MASH, Cheers, Sopranos, Seinfeld, L&O, etc.)  The list of those just as good at the end as any time in the series is very short.

Hope this one can keep this pace to the finale. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions