Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Breaking Bad

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Breaking Bad Season 4
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, Wes gave me the Reader's Digest version of the show as I know full well I won't go back and watch the previous episodes to bring myself up to speed.  So the other night, I watch it for the first time.  Will probably be the last time.  Oh, the story, acting...all that seems fine.  But for gawd sake.....

TURN.....SOME FUCKING.......LIGHTS ON, PEOPLE!!!!  What is the obsession with having every scene, every setting in a room with one dim 25 watt bulb in the corner for lighting? I see you dividing up hundreds of thousands of dollars...in cash.  I know you have the money to pay your electric bill.   

Elevated electric bills is how the man tracks you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »

Elevated electric bills is how the man tracks you.

I knew there had to be an explanation.  Makes sense now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
I knew there had to be an explanation.  Makes sense now.

Its also why Walt likes to drive an 89 Dodge Stratus. People are scared of him!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
Did Snaggle come in here and bad mouth Breaking Bad?  Ricin to both your houses!

Anyways, I've been reading a lot of criticism on this week's episode.  I liked it.  It's not exactly the exciting, drug cartel blow shit up plot I was expecting, but every season has started slowly and built to the climax.

Obviously, season 5 is reverting back to the show's roots - Walt's family. 

We have Skyler acting suicidal because of Walt's behavior and Junior possibly killing himself in an accident with his dad finally giving him the Charger to keep and encouraging him to drive it a bit recklessly. 

Also, Madrigal chick's got to go if Walt and Mike want the business to be safe from the DEA.  Jesse's our only sympathetic character, so in terms of goodness and morality, I agree with him with keeping her alive.

Also, Hank knows.  He knows he knows he knows.  I'll probably be wrong about that, but it seems like every episode this season, we've seen a very small hint - a very small line or look - that tells us that Hank either knows about Walt or at least suspects him. 

I do have one critique, and it's the same ole tireless one everyone has - Skyler is a bad actress.  Her emotions seem forced and her line delivery has bad timing especially compared to Cranston.  But the storyline is at least being conveyed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Spoiler alert.  Stop reading if you haven't seen the most recent episode and don't want to know anything about it.

Anyone else think that Walt may have had something to do with the promotion of Hank?  I can't think of a feasible way for him to have that sort of power, but the fact that Hank will be taken out of the "day to day operations" of the Fring case seems like a positive for Walt.  No one else but Hank would really have a reason to ever tie Walt to the entire operation, unless Walt slips up or something from the past comes back to bite him in the ass.

It just seems like that this season so far has been portraying Walt as a mastermind who is always several steps ahead of everyone else.  This was especially displayed in his conversation with Skyler regarding how she planned to get the kids out of the house permanently.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hank's promotion was somehow pulled off by Walt, but right now I don't really see how they could explain that.

Spoiler alert.  Don't read the above if you haven't seen the most recent episode and don't want to know anything about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
Did Snaggle come in here and bad mouth Breaking Bad?  Ricin to both your houses!

Anyways, I've been reading a lot of criticism on this week's episode.  I liked it.  It's not exactly the exciting, drug cartel blow shit up plot I was expecting, but every season has started slowly and built to the climax.

Obviously, season 5 is reverting back to the show's roots - Walt's family. 

We have Skyler acting suicidal because of Walt's behavior and Junior possibly killing himself in an accident with his dad finally giving him the Charger to keep and encouraging him to drive it a bit recklessly. 

Also, Madrigal chick's got to go if Walt and Mike want the business to be safe from the DEA.  Jesse's our only sympathetic character, so in terms of goodness and morality, I agree with him with keeping her alive.

Also, Hank knows.  He knows he knows he knows.  I'll probably be wrong about that, but it seems like every episode this season, we've seen a very small hint - a very small line or look - that tells us that Hank either knows about Walt or at least suspects him. 

I do have one critique, and it's the same ole tireless one everyone has - Skyler is a bad actress.  Her emotions seem forced and her line delivery has bad timing especially compared to Cranston.  But the storyline is at least being conveyed.

1. I think Hank knows.

2. I think Walt knows that Hank MAY know.

3. Hank is trying to more or less figure out a way to solve the case WITHOUT implicating Walt.

4. The new job was possibly setup by Walt to get Hank off the hook, which Hank gladly accepts.

5. Skyler sucks. Marie is cute.

6. Lydia and Jesse are gonna cause trouble for Mike and Walt before its all over.

That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
4. The new job was possibly setup by Walt to get Hank off the hook, which Hank gladly accepts.

This is in response to VV's post as well.

I don't think it's set up by Walt.  I could maybe see it since Walt is acting so damn cocky and arrogant, but I think he's being way too reckless and cocky and arrogant for me to believe he's the new Gus.  He's not.  Mike pointed it out.  We've already seen in the opening scene that he goes off the hinges.   I can't see Walt having some higher up counterpart in the DEA.  When would Walt have made that connection?

I do believe Mike has someone in the DEA.  Possibly Gomez.  How else could he call Lydia to warn her about the DEA coming to her office? 

But then again, if Hank is being promoted to be kept out of the Fringe investigation, then maybe Mike - or Walt if you want - has someone way up in the DEA.  More likely Mike since he has connections everywhere.

Don't forget that Mike was describe in an earlier season as THE guy to have on your side if you want a hitman running security in your drug cartel. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
This is in response to VV's post as well.

I don't think it's set up by Walt.  I could maybe see it since Walt is acting so damn cocky and arrogant, but I think he's being way too reckless and cocky and arrogant for me to believe he's the new Gus.  He's not.  Mike pointed it out.  We've already seen in the opening scene that he goes off the hinges.   I can't see Walt having some higher up counterpart in the DEA.  When would Walt have made that connection?

I do believe Mike has someone in the DEA.  Possibly Gomez.  How else could he call Lydia to warn her about the DEA coming to her office? 

But then again, if Hank is being promoted to be kept out of the Fringe investigation, then maybe Mike - or Walt if you want - has someone way up in the DEA.  More likely Mike since he has connections everywhere.

Don't forget that Mike was describe in an earlier season as THE guy to have on your side if you want a hitman running security in your drug cartel.

No doubt. Either way, I think it was a setup job to get Hank out of the fray. Somebody def knows SOMEBODY up high. When the DEA guy gave the job pitch to Hank, it was very generic and spontaneous. Sounded arranged.

WHAT IF Walt is as badass as he thinks and we are not seeing it? Could there be shit we don't know? Hard to think he would be this cocky without having the armor to back it up. He's smart and knows better than that. This has gotten seriously complex. I like!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
I can't see Walt having some higher up counterpart in the DEA.  When would Walt have made that connection?

I don't remember, but didn't the scene where Mike, Walt, and Jesse are discussing whether to kill Lydia occur before the scene with Hank's promotion?

If so, then maybe it's Mike who was able to get the promotion for Hank with Walt as the mastermind who suggested the plan.  It was never explained how Fring got in with the DEA, other than he had several of the agents over to his place, donated money, etc.  Mike is a former cop, so maybe Mike got Fring the connection with the DEA?  And maybe Mike has someone on the inside that kept the heat off Fring's ass for all those years?

Like I said, it seems like it would be difficult for them to explain, because like you said, Walt doesn't have connections with the DEA and hasn't had the time to develop them.  But I could see Mike somehow being involved, especially since we have no clue what the plan is that he, Jesse, and Walt discussed.

Let's not forget that the last time they wanted Hank out of the picture, they tried to kill him.  Granted, this directive was from Gus, not Mike, and it was Gus allowing the Juarez Cartel to kill Hank only because they wanted to kill Walt instead.  At any rate, I feel like Walt had something to do with the promotion, as previous indicators suggest that anyone else would have just killed Hank to get him out of the picture.  Walt, being the brother-in-law of Hank, would show more compassion and would come up with something similar to this promotion as a means of safely getting him out of the picture.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
I don't remember, but didn't the scene where Mike, Walt, and Jesse are discussing whether to kill Lydia occur before the scene with Hank's promotion?

If so, then maybe it's Mike who was able to get the promotion for Hank with Walt as the mastermind who suggested the plan.  It was never explained how Fring got in with the DEA, other than he had several of the agents over to his place, donated money, etc.  Mike is a former cop, so maybe Mike got Fring the connection with the DEA?  And maybe Mike has someone on the inside that kept the heat off Fring's ass for all those years?

Like I said, it seems like it would be difficult for them to explain, because like you said, Walt doesn't have connections with the DEA and hasn't had the time to develop them.  But I could see Mike somehow being involved, especially since we have no clue what the plan is that he, Jesse, and Walt discussed.

Let's not forget that the last time they wanted Hank out of the picture, they tried to kill him.  Granted, this directive was from Gus, not Mike, and it was Gus allowing the Juarez Cartel to kill Hank only because they wanted to kill Walt instead.  At any rate, I feel like Walt had something to do with the promotion, as previous indicators suggest that anyone else would have just killed Hank to get him out of the picture.  Walt, being the brother-in-law of Hank, would show more compassion and would come up with something similar to this promotion as a means of safely getting him out of the picture.

True. All of it.

Also remember when Hank got the short term El paso gig the first time all of a sudden? Hmmmmm
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
Spoiler alert.  Stop reading if you haven't seen the most recent episode and don't want to know anything about it.

Nope. Don't think your theory holds water or any other liquid. 

Walt a "mastermind"?  You shitting me?  Walt is typically a step or two behind.  He doesn't plan or plot -- at least until he plotted to kill Chicken Man -- he typically only reacts.  For the majority of four seasons he flailed and thrashed and bumbled his way through every situation, making rash decisions on the spur of the moment.  The only planning he's been capable of is the decision to manipulate Jesse and gain his loyalty by poisoning the kid and putting it on Chicken Man and the (completely illogical and unrealistic) scheme to use the old guy from Oz to waste the Chicken Dude. 

No way in hell he's found a way to manipulate the DEA.

I didn't dislike the episode, but the character actions are suspect.  Forgive the Sopranos reference bitches (although I feel better making it having read Gilligan compare Walt's character to Tony in a recent interview), but this sort of feels like Sopranos Season 6. Things get swollen and almost caricature-ish as the plots stretch the bounds of believability.

Skyler wandering into the pool?  Fuck that cow.  Wish she'd drowned herself.  Her horribly shitty acting, her fat ass and pinched up face destroys what's actually a pretty good performance by Cranston.  He just can't get the right tone of controlled fury when he's having to interact with that sea slug whore.  I hate her.

Hank "knows"?  Horseshit.  Like Walt, he's two or three steps behind, blundering through the investigation. 

This episode illustrated Walt's complete conversion to the other side.  Whatever humanity he had left is gone, he's fully immersed in the life.  And completely (completely) unaware of just how ill-prepared he is to survive it. 

He's escaped all these situations before mostly by sheer luck.  Some of the escapes were absolutely ludicrous BTW.  He's still around due to serendipity and mistakes that for skill. 

Jesse, who wasn't supposed to survive the first season, is the last chance for redemption.   

You're all overthinking it.  The show isn't that complicated. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:15:39 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Nope. Don't think your theory holds water or any other liquid. 

Walt a "mastermind"?  You shitting me?  Walt is typically a step or two behind.  He doesn't plan or plot -- at least until he plotted to kill Chicken Man -- he typically only reacts.  For the majority of four seasons he flailed and thrashed and bumbled his way through every situation, making rash decisions on the spur of the moment.  The only planning he's been capable of is the decision to manipulate Jesse and gain his loyalty by poisoning the kid and putting it on Chicken Man and the (completely illogical and unrealistic) scheme to use the old guy from Oz to waste the Chicken Dude. 

No way in hell he's found a way to manipulate the DEA.

I didn't dislike the episode, but the character actions are suspect.  Forgive the Sopranos reference bitches (although I feel better making it having read Gilligan compare Walt's character to Tony in a recent interview), but this sort of feels like Sopranos Season 6. Things get swollen and almost caricature-ish as the plots stretch the bounds of believability.

Skyler wandering into the pool?  Fuck that cow.  Wish she'd drowned herself.  Her horribly shitty acting, her fat ass and pinched up face destroys what's actually a pretty good performance by Cranston.  He just can't get the right tone of controlled fury when he's having to interact with that sea slug whore.  I hate her.

Hank "knows"?  Horseshit.  Like Walt, he's two or three steps behind, blundering through the investigation. 

This episode illustrated Walt's complete conversion to the other side.  Whatever humanity he had left is gone, he's fully immersed in the life.  And completely (completely) unaware of just how ill-prepared he is to survive it. 

He's escaped all these situations before mostly by sheer luck.  Some of the escapes were absolutely ludicrous BTW.  He's still around due to serendipity and mistakes that for skill. 

Jesse, who wasn't supposed to survive the first season, is the last chance for redemption.   

You're all overthinking it.  The show isn't that complicated.

Not manipulate the DEA, but money talks. And its apparent Gus has someone already. It would make sense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
Not manipulate the DEA, but money talks. And its apparent Gus has someone already. It would make sense.

How does that make sense?  Money talks?  Jesse had to front the money to get the process geared up again.   Walt had no money.  He was a broke ass bitch.

Gus spent 20 years cultivating his connections.  Walt's been in the life for a year, over half of that he spent cowering and running like a bitch. 

Gus also made his connections as a legitimate businessman.  He was a philanthropist who made the rounds and shook hands.  Did he have somebody inside?  Probably.  Maybe. 

For Walt to have the DEA control you'd have to make the assumption that Gus passed that information on to Walt -- which never would have happened.  He didn't trust him enough to EVER do that. 

And if Mike does have upper level connections you can bet your ass he hasn't passed that on either.  Why would he? 

Walt's euphoric cockiness isn't from any DEA control, it's from his own belief that he's immortal.  Survived cancer Tucock, Crazy 8, Jesse, Gus, Mike, the Cartel, the old fuck -- all by raw luck, but he believes he's reached total invulnerability.  Can't be touched.  The pool scene reinforced that.  Going over all the hard times and how he's beaten them. 

Walt thinks he's won.  He's in charge and all his obstacles are behind him.  Don't fuck with Walt because he doesn't give a shit.  That goes for Skyler, too.

Wish she'd drowned.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
How does that make sense?  Money talks?  Jesse had to front the money to get the process geared up again.   Walt had no money.  He was a broke ass bitch.

Gus spent 20 years cultivating his connections.  Walt's been in the life for a year, over half of that he spent cowering and running like a bitch. 

Gus also made his connections as a legitimate businessman.  He was a philanthropist who made the rounds and shook hands.  Did he have somebody inside?  Probably.  Maybe. 

For Walt to have the DEA control you'd have to make the assumption that Gus passed that information on to Walt -- which never would have happened.  He didn't trust him enough to EVER do that. 

And if Mike does have upper level connections you can bet your ass he hasn't passed that on either.  Why would he? 

Walt's euphoric cockiness isn't from any DEA control, it's from his own belief that he's immortal.  Survived cancer Tucock, Crazy 8, Jesse, Gus, Mike, the Cartel, the old fuck -- all by raw luck, but he believes he's reached total invulnerability.  Can't be touched.  The pool scene reinforced that.  Going over all the hard times and how he's beaten them. 

Walt thinks he's won.  He's in charge and all his obstacles are behind him.  Don't fuck with Walt because he doesn't give a shit.  That goes for Skyler, too.

Wish she'd drowned.

Mike is more who I am thinking has the connections, just thinking Walt had the idea and USED Mike. There is a reason Gus had Mike around. The guy is good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »
It's dark in there
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
Jesse has the connections. He is working with the DEA and the watch that he gave to Walt is bugged.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
Jesse has the connections. He is working with the DEA and the watch that he gave to Walt is bugged.

Not sure if you are serious on this theory, but interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
Overthinking it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
Overthinking it.

After watching the first 3 seasons and attemting to guess what would happen next, I wouldn't quite say we are all overthinking it. We may be wrong in the end but this show's plot (so far) does have the element of surprise.

You also liked Magic Mike and Matty Mac dancing on a pole and said Joe Pa was an innocent bystander in the Penn State saga last fall. I'm not exactly going to take your taste and predictions and run to Vegas with 20K.

Hey, did you know that the Sopranos is a cheap knock off of The Godfather?

Now, go eat a tomato infested bag o dicks and let us enjoy the useless predicting of this show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
Even Vince Gilligan hasn't thought about it this much.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/vince-gilligan-breaking-bad?page=2

Quote from: Vince Gilligan
My writers and I are sitting down to break the final eight episodes now . . . We have quite a bit figured out, but you would be surprised perhaps how little we do have figured out.  Because you want to dot all of the i’s and cross all of the t’s and make sure you’re not forgetting anything major, but also because you want to stay as flexible as you can for as long as you can when coming up with these stories.  You want to stay open to better ideas as they come down the pike.

To that end, I think things about the ending of 'Breaking Bad' are going to hew pretty close to ideas I had from day one . . . But I most certainly did not have the whole thing figured out from Day One. And there’s quite a bit left to figure out, so there’s a lot of invention left to us to come up with before it’s all done.

Also:

Quote from: Vince Gilligan
I would love to see a Saul Goodman spinoff . . . I can’t say that it is genuinely in the works at this moment, but certainly Bob Odenkirk and I have talked about it a little bit. I can’t promise that it will ever happen, but I think I personally, as fan number one of this world, meaning the first one to partake of these plot moments and whatnot, I personally would love to tune in and see a good Saul Goodman show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions