Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

NFL for 2011?

jmar

Re: NFL for 2011?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
Sure, they can go get new players. But when you go to a Saints game to see Brees, I don't think you're going to buy that ticket just to see Star Jackson. Thus, the previously stated domino effect if a certain player left on free agency.
http://www.seattlepi.com/football/89817_replace04.shtml

a short story of the '87 debacle
*ticket prices started around $6.00
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »
Sure, they can go get new players. But when you go to a Saints game to see Brees, I don't think you're going to buy that ticket just to see Star Jackson. Thus, the previously stated domino effect if a certain player left on free agency.

If everybody else is Star Jackson caliber too?  Who's going to notice? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »
If everybody else is Star Jackson caliber too?  Who's going to notice?

The same people that didn't watch NFL Europe, or the other half-assed wannabe leagues that tried to compete with the NFL over the last 25 years.  Mlb and the NBA are both watered down, and both are suffering because of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:23 AM »
The same people that didn't watch NFL Europe, or the other half-assed wannabe leagues that tried to compete with the NFL over the last 25 years.  Mlb and the NBA are both watered down, and both are suffering because of it.

Didn't watch because there was competition. 

I'd rather have Tom Brady instead of Bob Brody, but the fact is if Tom isn't willing to play for 340 million and Bob will play for 340k?  Well, too bad Tom.  Yeah the game will change.  But maybe it needs to. 

Public financing of $800 kabillion stadiums?  That crazy ass palace Jerry Jones built?   

Players can command $80 million contracts because people will pay $500 for a ticket, $40,000 for the right to buy that ticket, $14 for a hot dog and $90 for a jersey.  If that revenue stream dries up then owners will have to drop ticket prices to get fans back.  The out of whack salaries will come down. 

It's basic business and simple economics.  Nothing more. 

Don't look now, but it's coming to the college world too.  Things like Tide Pride and TUF are jabbing people in the ass.  There's a limit to that shit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
Didn't watch because there was competition. 

I'd rather have Tom Brady instead of Bob Brody, but the fact is if Tom isn't willing to play for 340 million and Bob will play for 340k?  Well, too bad Tom.  Yeah the game will change.  But maybe it needs to. 

Public financing of $800 kabillion stadiums?  That crazy ass palace Jerry Jones built?   

Players can command $80 million contracts because people will pay $500 for a ticket, $40,000 for the right to buy that ticket, $14 for a hot dog and $90 for a jersey.  If that revenue stream dries up then owners will have to drop ticket prices to get fans back.  The out of whack salaries will come down. 

It's basic business and simple economics.  Nothing more. 

Don't look now, but it's coming to the college world too.  Things like Tide Pride and TUF are jabbing people in the ass.  There's a limit to that shit.

I agree there too.  However, the fans, despite the costs, are still supporting it.  And the players aren't going to take less or stay where they are, while the owners still raise ticket prices, and prices on gear and make more and more. 

I also don't think that if the NFL and CFB shut down that 75K or 80K will flock to HS or youth games to get their football fix.  The product quality does matter. 

If they sort of hit the reset button, if you will, and rolled back ticket prices, and the costs of all associated items to "Joe Six Pack" prices of 25 or so years ago...the same players would play for half the money they're playing for now IF the cuts were across the board.  Profit margins remain the same, the money just less. 

But, in time, they'd find a way to make more and more, and players salaries would rise and rise. 

Not saying it's right, but in this business, the employees do have more juice vs management than the average Walmarks greeter.   And yes, it's because management gives it to them by needing them for the production of the best quality product which is motivated by....profit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
There will be an NFL season this year....mark my words on that.

The heat the league would take would be too damaging not to.  Ask baseball how the strike worked for them what 15 years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
There will be an NFL season this year....mark my words on that.

The heat the league would take would be too damaging not to.  Ask baseball how the strike worked for them what 15 years ago.

Well you would think they are taking that into consideration. I certainly hope they are smarter than opting for the lockout but it looks grim and they have some work to do because it doesn't seem nobody is budging.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »
Wrong.  Flat out wrong. 

As a business owner my employees have no right to see the books.  I hired you.  Do your job for the amount I'm willing to pay you or go phuk yourself. 

If they were making minimum wage?  Yeah.  You'd have a point. 

If they don't want to "destroy their bodies" for the money I'm willing to pay them?  Perhaps they should use their college degrees to get a real job.

^^ This is correct.  But here is why it doesn't apply to the NFL situation and why the players have a beef.  The NFL and player's union has an agreement wherein all player's salaries come from a percentage of the total gross income of the owners (right now it is 60% I believe).  Now that we have had a run of new stadiums since the last CBA extension the owners are not wanting to cut the percentage, they are wanting to shrink the pie.  But they don't want to tell the player's how big the pie is going to be.

Now agree with it or not, this is why many people believe the player's have a legit beef.  The owner's want to get them to sign up to their total salaries being a percentage of some number, but for the player's to not know what that number will be. 

This is a fairly old (and somewhat out of date) FAQ about the sticking points in the labor battle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-laborquestions090810
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
Really getting frustrated with the entire situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »
Well, EA Sports announced they will still have a Madden '12 regardless if there is a lockout. Good enough for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »
Well, EA Sports announced they will still have a Madden '12 regardless if there is a lockout. Good enough for me.

i hear ryan leaf will grace the cover.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions