Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Forget Fairley and Bowers - It's Dareus

Forget Fairley and Bowers - It's Dareus
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS -- The choice between Nick Fairley or Marcell Dareus could come down to performance.

The former Auburn and Alabama defensive tackles, respectively, are being considered as high first-round NFL draft picks. It had widely been reported that Fairley was the favorite to be the NFL draft's No. 1 pick.

Some of those opinions (Meaning mine and mine only) began to shift in favor Dareus after the duo showed off their physical attributes in testing at the NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Fairley, measured at 6-foot-3 and 291 pounds, turned into a runaway locomotive with a strong 40-yard dash time of 4.82, and a standing broad jump of 9 feet, 5 inches. He chose to skip drills such as the bench press and vertical jump. Fairley remarked Sunday on a shoulder injury he suffered Nov. 13 in a 49-31 win against Georgia.

Fairley called it a shoulder separation of his AC joint, but noted it was not serious enough to keep the Lombardi Award winner from playing every game.

"Well, mainly (I wanted to) just come out here at the combine and show them with the drills that I am a great athlete and then with the interviews that we have that I am a great person off the field, too," Fairley said. "I want to show them the one-hit wonder is not in me."

Dareus, at 6-3, 319 pounds, also ran well, earning a time of 4.92 and, despite being almost 30 pounds heavier, outraced Fairley at the 10-yard split interval. (They're fat hole stuffers, not sprinters.  The 40 yard dash is impressive, but it's not as fast as Fairley and not relevant)

Dareus suffered from a high-ankle sprain most of the season, and opted Monday to skip the vertical jump and the bench press.

"It doesn't matter how hurt you are, you've got to go out there and do the best you can and produce until you don't have any more," Dareus said before his workouts. "It really didn't affect me too much. I still had to work hard. I did rehab the best way I can to go out there and perform."

Regardless of where they are picked, both players are considered to have promising futures in the NFL.

When asked to name the players they model their games after, both mentioned two of the NFL's all-time greats.

Fairley said he looks at the late Reggie White, a 2006 member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He particularly mentioned White's time with the Green Bay Packers, though his reputation as "The Minister of Defense" developed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I think he played the game the way it should be played," Fairley said. "That's why I try to play my game like him."

Dareus said he patterns himself after former NFL all-Pro Warren Sapp, who finished his career with 96.5 career sacks -- second most for a defensive tackle. Sapp is an analyst for NFL Network.

Dareus had not met Sapp prior to the combine and smiled when told of the former Tampa Bay Buccaneer's high opinion of Dareus.

Sapp said before the combine Fairley might have more upside, but that Dareus was the safer pick.

"Watching Warren Sapp really made me play football," Dareus said. "I really got real good at it when they won the Super Bowl, I was like in middle school. I started excelling at it. I really look up to him as a person and as a player."

Generally, reports indicated Dareus helped himself with his workout and could leapfrog Fairley in the draft. Dareus said Alabama prepared him to play in various defensive schemes and at various positions. (What reports?  I'd like to see more than a half-assed quote from Sapp)
"I'm good at what I do," Dareus said. "My coaches prepared us well."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/nfl_scouting_combine_nick_fair.html

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Forget Fairley and Bowers - It's Dareus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
Ankle sprain, means no Bench Press.  "It doesn't matter how hurt you are you've got to go out there and do the best you can...."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »
Ankle sprain, means no Bench Press.  "It doesn't matter how hurt you are you've got to go out there and do the best you can...."
Obviously you flunked A&P too Prowler.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »

Pretty sure I read Fairley skipped the bench as well
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »
Pretty sure I read Fairley skipped the bench as well

Because of a shoulder injury....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
Shoulder Separation, does mean no Bench Press.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
I fractured my spleen so the broad jump is definitely out for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »
I fractured my spleen so the broad jump is definitely out for me.

In court?  I'd pay money to see a tape of that, counselor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
In court?  I'd pay money to see a tape of that, counselor.

Scott Moore has the tape. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
Scott Moore has the tape.

Cam Newton ruptured your spleen?  Or was he just in the room when Cecil did it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
Cam Newton ruptured your spleen?  Or was he just in the room when Cecil did it?

Cam has no knowledge of said spleen fracturage; however, Thayer Evans has a good source that was in the room at the time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

This really doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but I want to make sure Token sees it again.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
This really doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but I want to make sure Token sees it again.

Man, why couldn't have Cyrus stayed with us.  That could have been Token's avatar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
Ankle Sprain, means never being able to go to Chizik-Tuberville Stadium to watch your favorite football team play.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 02:25:22 AM »

Oh Snap.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.