Trees getting some railing.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: "Remembering the Toomers Oaks" thread
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
Couldn't get the url without the Facebook but here it is.....

.....the 360, the full circle, the omega of an event that was horrible but now its all good again.

Oh, and fuck you Updike, you little bitch.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
And we've come full circle with this shit again. ~sigh~

http://m.wtvm.com/wtvm/db_376055/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=V0V4CD9V

AUBURN, AL (WTVM) - Auburn University will remove the current Auburn Oaks at Toomer’s Corner and replace them with two new live oaks the morning of Saturday, Feb. 18.

“The fire in September severely damaged the Magnolia Avenue tree,” said Gary Keever, Auburn University horticulture professor. “The appearance of the tree is unacceptable, and we don’t believe it will recover within a reasonable time period.”

University officials decided to replace the College Street tree, too, after finding two replacements that match each other in size and appearance.

“The College Street tree has failed to become established as you can see by dead branches at the top,” Keever said. “If it had not been for the fire, though, we would have pruned those branches and continued nurturing both trees.”

The famed, original Auburn Oaks were found to have been poisoned in early 2011. The university attempted to save the trees, but had to remove them once it was determined they would not survive. Two new trees were transplanted in 2015. The oak on Magnolia Avenue did not survive the move, so it was replaced a few months later by the tree that was subsequently damaged by the fire.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Toomer's Oaks
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
Here's a piece from Garden & Gun magazine on rolling the oaks.  I imagine they're only talking about the two newest oaks that were planted, and the rest of the trees are fair game.  I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the new ones are pretty small. 

Touchdowns and Toilet Paper
Why the long-running… er, -rolling… Auburn University tradition is taking a break again this year
by Caroline Sanders
August 29, 2018

photo: Aleem Ahmed
Auburn fans swarm Toomer’s Corner after the “Final Roll” of the original oaks on April 20, 2013. The trees were removed three days later.

On fall Saturdays in Auburn, Alabama, tailgaters come prepared: coolers packed to the brim with beer, barbecue spreads to lay across folding tables, orange and blue flags to hang from tents and car tailgates—and rolls of toilet paper to celebrate after the game. Since nearly any living Auburn fan can remember, a Tiger win has meant rolling two Southern live oak trees that flank Toomer’s Corner, where Magnolia and College meet.
It’s a tradition that some date back to the days when news about away-game wins arrived via telegraph, and employees of Toomer’s Drug would throw the machine’s ticker tapes over power lines outside the store. Others point to 1972, when a brash student predicted Auburn would beat the “No. 2” out of their undefeated rivals, the University of Alabama. When the Tigers returned home from beating the Tide, they found the corner covered in two-ply. Since then, after every football win—and big wins for other sports, as well—the two oaks look like snowcapped peaks and the streets the aftermath of a blizzard.
photo: Courtesy of Auburn University

The aftermath of an Auburn win.
But this year, for the second in a row, officials are asking the Tiger faithful to give the beloved tradition a break. “We’ve asked fans not to roll those specific trees, but we’ll get back to the tradition soon,” says Mike Clardy, assistant vice president of communications.
In 2011, in , a vengeful University of Alabama fan announced that he’d poisoned the oaks on Toomer’s Corner with spike 80DF, an herbicide that blocks photosynthesis. At the end of the 2013 season, Auburn held a bittersweet “last roll” celebration before removing the dying trees and renovating the corner. New, mature oaks were planted in February 2015, but deemed too fragile to roll that season. When rolling resumed in 2016, another tragedy struck: someone lit fire to a strand of toilet paper, setting one of the trees ablaze, severely damaging both. Resilient as ever, the university planted two new trees last February, but they need time to settle in.
photo: Courtesy of Auburn University

Crowds gather to watch the replacement trees being planted on February 14, 2015.
“The Auburn Oaks are a symbol of strength,” Clardy says. “They’re sentinels on the corner where the university meets the town.” Come fire, flood, or angry fans, he’s sure as long as there are football games there will be trees on Toomer’s Corner—hopefully for Auburn fans, covered in toilet paper.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

Re: Toomer's Oaks
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
You know, there is a specific thread for this dummy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
Bitches movin' my thread get stitches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »
Bitches movin' my thread get stitches.
Spike his warn meter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
You know, there is a specific thread for this dummy.
This is incorrect.

This current thread is to remember the old trees. His comment was about the new trees.

Please allow the intelligent posters to organize the forum correctly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
This is incorrect.

This current thread is to remember the old trees. His comment was about the new trees.

Go pour yourself another Metamucil vodka you old fart. Old tree, new tree, both are the Toomer's Oaks goob.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2018, 03:49:24 PM »
This is incorrect.

Image result for You got knocked the f out images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2018, 10:34:24 PM »
Go pour yourself another Metamucil vodka you old fart. Old tree, new tree, both are the Toomer's Oaks goob.

Dont make him get on his new hybrid bike and come whip your ass. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
Dont make him get on his new hybrid bike and come whip your ass.
I ain’t got no bike yet bitch. I may get one with a motor! And then come whip ass!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
I ain’t got no bike yet bitch. I may get one with a motor! And then come whip ass!
The British call them motor bikes. Mate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2018, 10:04:04 AM »

I chortled!

I was thinking something like this:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Pffft!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
Pffft!

That actually looks pretty fun. However you would really have to secure your walker or lose it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions