Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Remembering the Toomers Oaks" thread

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: "Remembering the Toomers Oaks" thread
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
Muthafuck every Turd fan that has ever walked the earth or fucked his sister.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
My grandfather died shortly after this last Christmas.

He got cancer about two years ago. He got gradually worse every day during that time. The last couple of months, the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to live much longer.

I thought it was kind of strange that I didn't really feel all that upset about it, even at Christmas when he was barely speaking in gibberish. I guess it didn't seem real, even though I knew it was.

At his funeral, however...waterworks.

Watching Toomer's get torn down today was a very, very similar feeling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
Just pulled up a pic on my phone I took last year of mini up on the wall with the trees in the background.  I've got quite a few over the years with my kids and some of our friends rolling the trees or wrapping themselves up in TP. Every single time we take Snags Light to a game, the first thing out of his mouth is "Are we going to Toomer's after the game?"  He cares nothing about foosballz.  Only Dippin' Dots and rolling Toomer's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
True, but from a business aspect, there is alot of money to made selling small portions to people. I know I would but it.

$25.00 for 3x3 chunch and bigger prices for bigger chuncks.
What is the difference between a chunch and a chunck? Is this based on weight? I didn't do so hot with the metrics.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
What is the difference between a chunch and a chunck? Is this based on weight? I didn't do so hot with the metrics.

How much is a cubit anyway?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »
It has something to do with a rubik.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »

Noah

Yes Lord

I need you to build an ark
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
Noah

Yes Lord

I need you to build an ark

How long can you tread water?  HAHAHAHA.

And agreed 100% about the pics you spoke about.  I pulled up some of my daughter from back in 2011, sitting on the wall, holding up a roll.  And then I want to mommy part punt every Updyke out there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »
Spike 80 was developed at Univ. of Tenn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »

You don't say much, but when you do, you don't say much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »

Are you related to Shug Dye?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

update on trees.
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »
Looks like new ones are coming.

http://orangeisourcolor.com/2015/01/toomers-corner-2015-change-is-coming/   

The new Auburn Oaks will be planted at Toomer’s Corner on Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2015. Apparently this date was announced back on Nov 7. I don’t remember noticing the announcement at the time. That was the day before the Texas A&M game.

Anyhow, the planting of the new trees, an event that’s been hiding in the nebulous future for some time, is now basically here. If you’ve developed any affinity for oak-less Toomer’s Corner, you best soak in all you can while you can. The view from the webcam is very soon to change.

The new Oaks will be 35 feet tall. How tall were the original Toomer’s Oaks? Answering that question took more googlin’ than I expected. But, eventually this page at The War Eagle Reader steered my search in the direction of this Historic American Landscapes Survey (PDF), which tells us the following.

The two trees that once occupied the site were Southern Live Oaks (Quercus Virginiana), a species native to the southern United States. The College Street tree reached a height of 44 feet with a canopy span of 64 feet, and the Magnolia Avenue tree grew to 30 feet in height with a 46 foot canopy diameter.

So at 35 feet, the new Auburn Oaks will be taller than one of the original Toomer’s Oaks, but shorter than the other. They will certainly be taller than the wires. How high off the ground are the wires? I haven’t found that documented anywhere. My guess is they’re about 18-20 feet high.

The wires seemed a sad stand-in for the Oaks when first suggested, but the tradition’s origin—rolling the utility wires, which have since been moved underground—lent respectability to the temporary arrangement. Just how temporary will the wires’ career at Toomer’s prove to be?

The Auburn Plainsman reports that the city plans to remove both the wires and their poles this summer.

I’ll miss the wires—at least initially. They’ve grown on me, despite the fact that, unlike trees, wires don’t grow. Actually, these have.

The original installation comprised two wires running from the College Street median pole to each of the north-side corner poles. In August 2014 the triangle was completed with three wires running between the two non-median poles. A third wire was also added to each of the preexisting sets. So the wires grew from four in 2013 to nine in 2014. Their reported reduction to zero in 2015 is a bad idea.

There are two reasons for keeping the wires up. Firstly, rolling is bad for trees. So keeping a rolling alternative in place could mitigate the damage. Secondly, the University doesn’t want people rolling Samford park. If the wires were kept in place, the intersection could be shut down for only the biggest celebrations, and on those occasions the rolling could spill into the street, under the wires, rather than migrate toward Thach. Perhaps I’m only arguing for the wires’ retention because I truly have grown fond of them.

The wires are one more little thing that makes Auburn unique. No one else has had reason to set up a temporary rolling structure. Sure, I wish we hadn’t either! But we did, and the wires were the solution, and we rolled them after the greatest moment in the history of sport.

So there’s reason enough for relic treatment, though I’m sure the city has their reasons for wanting them down. Change is coming. It’s already come to the coaching staff, it’s coming to Toomer’s Corner, and it’s coming on the field as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
This makes me happy. Although,  I thought I read some time ago that it would still be a year after the new trees were planted before rolling them was allowed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »
This makes me happy. Although,  I thought I read some time ago that it would still be a year after the new trees were planted before rolling them was allowed.

I have real concern about some turds trying to copy numnuts. I am sure the trees will be monitored, but can someone react fast enough if someone does anything?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
Yes, but what is the new canopy diameter?

Length is not everything!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

dallaswareagle

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »
New trees heading to there new home.     :aubie:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »
woot :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »
Are they going to keep those in a vase until Saturday?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
Are they going to keep those in a vase until Saturday?

with two aspirin
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2015, 01:01:47 AM »
This is AUesome. It is pretty cool now to read this from the first post to this point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions