Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Toomers Oaks poisoned

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Toomers Oaks poisoned
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
If anybody was listening to The Ump at around 5:15pm this afternoon I was the caller who said this guy should be drug from his single wide and strangled with his "Got 13" shirt.

Per his Tweets, #90 is also not very happy about this either.

I am thinking Big Nick needs a new tackling dummy for pre-combine workouts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »
You might need to get your timeline in order.  The caller said that he did it not long after the Iron Bowl.  The Jersey, Sticker & Rye Grass was done after that...of course that was all done before the Auburn Family found out how serious it was, I'd brushed it off as some lunatic caller just trying to get a rise outta The Family.
On Jan 27th, the dude said he had recently done it. I don't know what his idea of recent is. However, I'm guessing that if on January 28th they took soil samples that still showed 65 times the lowest effective dose of Spike, I would imagine it was a little more recent than the end of November/beginning of December. Plus, the more it rains, the more poison the tree sucks up. And the state has seen a fuck-ton of rain/sleet/snow over the past few months.

Really, it doesn't even matter when it was done. Or why. It shouldn't have been done. That was just too far.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:45:52 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
On Jan 27th, the dude said he had recently done it. I don't know what his idea of recent is. However, I'm guessing that if on January 28th they took soil samples that still showed 65 times the lowest effective dose of Spike, I would imagine it was a little more recent than the end of November/beginning of December. Plus, the more it rains, the more poison the tree sucks up. And the state has seen a fuck-ton of rain/sleet/snow over the past few months.

Really, it doesn't even matter when it was done. Or why. It shouldn't have been done. That was just too far.

Shut the fuck up, RWS, you were there helping me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »
Shut the fuck up, RWS, you were there helping me.
Somewhere, a village is looking for their fucktard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »
Great article about the tree's by Blake Ells
http://theplaymaker.tumblr.com/post/3340560990/it-was-just-a-tree-but-it-was-more-than-that
It Was Just A Tree (But it Was More Than That)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason contrary to definition, “Tradition” at The University of Alabama means “National Championships.”  (See also: winning a bunch)

But everywhere else in the Southeastern Conference, “Tradition” has its own unique definition:  The Grove at Ole Miss, “Mr. Two Bits” at Florida,” UGA (the dog) at Georgia, the Vol Navy at Tennessee, the Cockaboose at South Carolina.

Auburn University, my alma mater, my home for the best four years of my life, is steeped in “Tradition” by proper definition:  “War Eagle” and the flight of Nova and Spirit, Tiger Walk, the finest lemonade man has ever known and the tree that stands across the street.

In November, some loon called Paul Finebaum proclaiming triumphant victory - poisoning the oak trees at Toomer’s Corner.  Everyone shared a hearty laugh, and the program (and tabloid “sports journalism” contained on the stick) returned to trying to figure out ways that Auburn cheated.  It was never to be spoken of again.

Until today, when we learn that this fellow actually did kill the trees at the corner of Magnolia and College.

I was in Glendale, Arizona.  I spent every penny I had beyond my means to witness a “Once in a Lifetime” event.  And I’m thrilled I did.  I’m thrilled that I was at half of 2010’s games, including road trips to Starkville and, one of my all-time favorites, Lexington.  And I shared all of these sentiments in a phone call about the subject to my father earlier this evening.  But, as I continued, it was impossible to enjoy the way I dreamed of for 28 years prior.  Tabloid radio, blogs, television and Alabama fans have made this impossible to enjoy the way it all played out, hypothetically (I never thought it would really happen), in my mind.

Thayer Evans, Sports by Brooks and others have an ax to grind - that much is clear.  And there is no clear, defining reason.  Maybe Auburn cheated.  Maybe they didn’t.  But I believe when Gus Malzahn chose the “mess” at Auburn over not one, but two, BCS coaching jobs, it was telling.  Sure, alum Tracey Rocker chose the NFL today, but who can blame him?  Position coaches in the NFL can elevate to head coaching jobs.  Regardless of outcome, it builds the resume.

Imagine if you will, Tide fans: how do you feel when people attack the credibility of your “thirteen” national championships?  1941 is absolutely foolish.  It doesn’t even make sense.  Yet, you still call it a championship.  Forget the credibility of the championships won before a legitimate poll existed - let’s focus on how ignorant the 1941 championship is.  A brief aside, by me, not a quote:

In 1941, Alabama was awarded a championship by a geologist named Deke Houlgate.  An EFFING geologist.  Alabama lost that season to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.  They finished the season ranked 20th (TWENTIETH?) in the Associated Press poll.  Minnesota won the AP championship, but a fellow that studied rocks said Alabama was the best.  So Alabama said, “Tradition.”  You can look it up, but trust me, I have.  I’ve studied it beyond reasonable explanation.  Every championship you won before Bryant is hollow, and several after his arrival are.  I won’t expound, unless you really want a deep debate.  Buy me a beer.

Let’s attack those - your “tradition.”  How does it make you feel?  A little defensive?  Angry, even?  Good.

Because the reigning national champions don’t define “tradition” by games won - despite easily ranking among the nation’s top 15 all-time.  And despite your best wishes, they don’t define it by beating Alabama.  Both are great.  Don’t misunderstand.  But this family’s tradition is defined by much more than what happens on the field.

Poisoning the oaks at Toomer’s Corner took this rivalry too far - and I fear the hatchet may be dug out of the ground.  And it’s perpetuated by “tabloid journalism” - everything on the current lineup at Alabama’s “Flagship Station” WJOX, Sports by Brooks, Thayer Evans.  It’s been pushed, and pushed, and pushed - and now it’s over the edge.  I genuinely fear the rivalry may now be in jeopardy - and frankly, I’m not sure I care.

Through my trials of the last three years, I have learned one thing above all else: it’s just football.  There are a lot of things more important.  I won’t begin to properly list, but you can assume.  To think that someone can make a move so asinine is beyond comprehension - to think that a radio staion I was once proud to call home can promote it and laugh is reprehensible.

I get it.  And I hope you do, too.  They are just trees.  IF the trees actually die, they’ll be replaced.  Auburn will spare no cost in having trees exactly the same put into place with “no harm done.”  It’s not the trees.  It’s about much more - it’s about how malicious the act was.  It’s about the inevitable retalition that is forthcoming.  And beyond that, what will follow.  Someone from Auburn burned the score of the Iron Bowl into the grass in front of Bryant-Denny.  Grass can be fixed.  This can’t.  And it’s only going to get nastier with every phone call taken tomorrow and thereafter.

If someone from Auburn retaliates, it’s going to be worse.  Police (POLICE?) were standing guard over the statues in front of Bryant-Denny this evening (they only needed a 13-year-old boy to fully block the view of Saban).  And it will only grow.

And you know what?  The rivalry isn’t fun anymore.  I’m speaking from the winning side.  The side that just won the National Championship.  And I already kinda didn’t care.  Now I don’t.  This is stupid.  And there are far more fingers to be pointed than at “Al from Dadeville.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:38 AM »
This past year, my wife and I took our two kids to the first Auburn game we've made in 2 years.  My daughter, who was 3 the last time we took her, finally got to experience the joy of rolling Toomers.  After homecoming I took her up there, and literally had to pry her away from a roll of toilet paper.  My 2 year old didn't quite get it, but man, I wish you guys could have seen my 5 year old run around.  Pure joy on her face.  And that's been robbed, so I say, thanks, Alabama.

Thanks for having me explain to a 5 year old last night about how someone would purposely kill a tree.

Thanks for depriving my now 3 year old of never knowing the joy of rolling Toomers.

But thanks for ruining the rivalry for me.  Thanks to the actions of one of your fans, I simply don't care anymore.  It's just not fun anymore.  And I no longer give a damn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »
Unfortunately the one that the Warden is raising is only about three feet tall right now. 

Get your own. https://fp.auburn.edu/sfws/oaks/MainPage.htm

Proceeds help fund scholarships in the forestry department.

As far as the other part, well shit is forever changed and revenge is a dish best served cold.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:47:26 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »
Lee Ziemba on teh book face.

"Its amazing how one person can be so eaten up with jealousy that they attempt to ruin one of our greatest traditions. What this person doesn't know is that it takes way more than poisoning one of our trees to break this family apart. Our greatest tradition is being the best damn school in this state and kicking that other school's ***. WAR DAMN"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »

I wouldn't fuck with this guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
This has just elevated this rivalry to a level of hatred beyond any in sports, or even religion for that matter. Even the most level headed Auburn fans are contemplating acts of angered revenge. Just wait till the leaves start falling and the death of the Oaks are noticeable. This anger has not even climaxed yet. Students, teachers, residence, etc will be forced to see this everyday by the thousands per hour. This shit could get seriously ugly. bammers might should think twice about coming to the Plains next IB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
This has just elevated this rivalry to a level of hatred beyond any in sports, or even religion for that matter. Even the most level headed Auburn fans are contemplating acts of angered revenge. Just wait till the leaves start falling and the death of the Oaks are noticeable. This anger has not even climaxed yet. Students, teachers, residence, etc will be forced to see this everyday by the thousands per hour. This shit could get seriously ugly. bammers might should think twice about coming to the Plains next IB.

I, honestly, would be very disappointed if anything happens in Tuscaloosa, or to any Alabama fan in Auburn this fall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
I, honestly, would be very disappointed if anything happens in Tuscaloosa, or to any Alabama fan in Auburn this fall.

This.  Don't stoop to the level of some sorry piece of trailer trash.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
This.  Don't stoop to the level of some sorry piece of trailer trash.

Yep.  We're better than that.  We're better than Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »

Well that is the common sense approach, and will the most likely approach by Auburn folks. Come IB week next year though, there could be some elevated tensions in the air.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
This past year, my wife and I took our two kids to the first Auburn game we've made in 2 years.  My daughter, who was 3 the last time we took her, finally got to experience the joy of rolling Toomers.  After homecoming I took her up there, and literally had to pry her away from a roll of toilet paper.  My 2 year old didn't quite get it, but man, I wish you guys could have seen my 5 year old run around.  Pure joy on her face.  And that's been robbed, so I say, thanks, Alabama.

Thanks for having me explain to a 5 year old last night about how someone would purposely kill a tree.

Thanks for depriving my now 3 year old of never knowing the joy of rolling Toomers.

But thanks for ruining the rivalry for me.  Thanks to the actions of one of your fans, I simply don't care anymore.  It's just not fun anymore.  And I no longer give a damn.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »

I pledge to never again make a Lee Ziemba false start joke.  WDE Lee!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »
I pledge to never again make a Lee Ziemba false start joke.  WDE Lee!

I think he tweeted this first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
I think he tweeted this first.

I see what you did there
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."