Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Looking For Info..

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Looking For Info..
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »
Yesterday on our local sports talk show, someone called and asked if the host knew anything about Carver-Montgomery's Football Coach going to Auburn.  The host hadn't heard anything about it.  Last night, my wife tells me she saw an interview with Carver's coach and he was talking about how it's time to move on and how he's looking forward to working with Coach Malzahn. 

I just did some checking and didn't find anything on WSFA(Montgomery) or WTVY (Dothan) Sports and didn't see anything on it.  Is there some position we're filling?  Are they talking about attending some camp or something like that? 

I'll hang up and listen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: Looking For Info..
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20110211/SPORTS0301/102110325/Pogue-s-All-In-Carver-football-coach-joins-AU-staff-

Pogue's 'All In': Carver football coach joins AU staff

l Pogue, after three seasons leading the G.W. Carver High football team to state prominence, is leaving the Wolverines for Auburn University.

Pogue has accepted a job as an offensive graduate assistant for the Tigers. The 36-year-old resigned at Carver on Thursday and starts at AU on Monday.

"It's not every day that you get an opportunity to go work with the national champions and a great coach like Gene Chizik and a great staff like he has," Pogue said. "It's tough leaving a great group of kids, but I talked to them and they understand."

Pogue was 31-7 in three seasons at Carver and 46-24 in six years as a head coach. He led the Wolverines to a 13-1 season and a Class 5A semifinal appearance in 2008. Pogue's final two teams finished 10-2 and 8-4.

"He made me who I am right now," said Carver quarterback Jeremy Johnson, a sophomore who is projected to be an elite recruit in two years.

"I'm glad he's making the move, but I was kind of mad at first," Johnson said. "After he told us, he brought me in his room and told me, 'Don't stop just because I'm going. Keep playing hard.'"

Carver principal Gary Hall said the job should be posted next week and it has to be publicized for 10 business days before he can start the selection process. He said he's already received a "bunch" of applications that were sent in anticipation of Pogue leaving.

"We want to make sure we carry on with what we have," Hall said. "Pogue did an excellent job and whoever comes in has some hard shoes to fill.

"I'm not only his principal, but I'm a fan of what he does. He's so personable with the guys and cares about them for more than just football."

Pogue, an Alabama State graduate, was 14-8 in two seasons at St. Jude before going to Carver. He was 1-9 in his first head coaching job at Calhoun in 2002. He's also served as an assistant at Sidney Lanier and Robert E. Lee.

On Monday, he'll start adapting to the college game.

"I'm there to learn and soak it all up," Pogue said. "I will do whatever I can to try to help Auburn repeat as national champion."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »
He did a hell of a job at Carver.  Really turned that program around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »
Aaaahh...thanks there, Jar. 

He did a great job at Carver, which has been a perenniel doormat in 6A.  Now playing in 5A, they've been a playah the last few years.  Plus, going 14-8 at St. Jude means he probably got 10 more wins than that program had in it's entire history before him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
I don't know a whole lot about the guy but he seems to have done a pretty good job as HS coach. I see this as a win win for him and Auburn. I think it helps Auburn even more with in-state recruiting. With Pogue, he gets the opportunity to learn from the best OC in the game. That is a pretty good deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions