Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Grammy slide into farce continues

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Grammy slide into farce continues
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 10:19:34 AM »
a top ten list without Eric Johnsons name on it....you are crazy!

Wes will see your Eric Johnson and raise you one Prince
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »
One of these things is not like the others.
One of these things just doesn't belong.

And I'm not referring to Stevie being dead.

hahaha...great fucking catch. He slid that in right past me...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:14 AM »
a top ten list without Eric Johnsons name on it....you are crazy!

Rolling Stone and several others laugh at you.

They don't even have him in their top 100, which is just wrong.  I would have him in my top 25 along with Prince being up there as well.  My top 10 is hard to argue with.   Yeah you might can change some around and even drop one or two, but it's still a solid list.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
Shit, is this going to be another who is the best guitar player thread.  I thought we had already settled this before.

1. Duane Allman/Jimi Hendrix <--to hard to distinguish.
2. Eric Clapton
3. Robert Johnson
4. Chuck Berry
5. Mark Knopfler
6. Jimmy Page
7. Jeff Beck
8. Stevie Gaines
9.  Zakk Wylde
10. Eddie Van Halen

Your list is imcomplete

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
Rolling Stone and several others laugh at you.

They don't even have him in their top 100, which is just wrong.  I would have him in my top 25 along with Prince being up there as well.  My top 10 is hard to argue with.   Yeah you might can change some around and even drop one or two, but it's still a solid list.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

In terms of technique (which I assume is the primary criteria for your top 10 list), I'd drop these names:

3. Robert Johnson
4. Chuck Berry

6. Jimmy Page

8. Stevie Gaines
9.  Zakk Wylde
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Your list is imcomplete

Ace just doesn't move me as much as the others.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

In terms of technique (which I assume is the primary criteria for your top 10 list), I'd drop these names:

3. Robert Johnson
4. Chuck Berry

6. Jimmy Page

8. Stevie Gaines
9.  Zakk Wylde

I just went with who I like and makes me want start jamming right then.

Chuck Berry, how can you leave him off?  The man practically paved the way for Rock n Roll guitar as we know it.   Most people will not even include Johnson.  Most people have never heard of him.

Lot's of folks will put B.B. King in there, and it's hard to argue with that.  The man can play, but Albert King was just as good imo.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:47:38 AM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »

I just went with who I like and makes me want start jamming right then.

Should have laid out your criteria, then.

Chuck Berry, how can you leave him off?  The man practically paved the way for Rock n Roll guitar as we know it.   Most people will not even include Johnson.  Most people have never heard of him.

Influence is a far different list than technique.  Pick one and we can talk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »
Here's the thing.  Unless you narrow the scope of any particular list to rate a musician as to technique, showmanship, versatility etc. then you come up with 100 different lists that no one will ever agree on.  Some guys stay within a certain framework and rarely stray from it.  Take AC/DC or ZZ Top for instance.  They've both put out about 30-40 years of music playing the same 3 chords.  Not to say that Angus Young isn't as talented as anybody else on any list...but he easily falls into the category of great showmen. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn is often mentioned and was undoubtedly one of the greats, but when you break down his stuff, his style and the chord structure he played within hardly ever varied.  Wes brought up Prince a while back.  Look past the stack shoes and frilly outfits and stage presence and you find one hell of a versatile guitar player.  But no one would know who the guy is if he had tried to make it on music alone.  Incredible showman to the max.  Yes, I'm a huge Mayer fan but not for what he puts out on the air.  Take a look at his stuff and you see one of the most talented, versatile guitarists on the planet.  Acoustic, blues, rock and roll, whatever. 

Tiger1 said his list was based on who gets him jamming right then.  If that's the criteria, I have maybe 2 of those on my list.  Doesn't mean he's wrong or right.  That's what gets him going, along with a fine burrbinz.  Point is, you have to be more specific on the list if you want to rate musicians.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
Point is, you have to be more specific on the list if you want to rate musicians.       

Any list starts here.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
This is the thing with good guitarist...there are technically gifted guitarist, like Eric Johnson, that I can't sit there and listen to. I couldn't listen to his music if I couldn't actually watch him play. His technique is unbelievable and you're damn right that he can play like no one's business, but it doesn't "sound" good. He is good at using his "tool" like a wood worker is good at using a skill saw. It's fun to watch, but that's it.

In my opinion, a guitar player is about much more than being technical. It's about feeling the music. It's about when you listen to them play, you can get lost in the music. You don't have to watch them play to know they are good. Guitar playing, especially lead, is about a feel to me. There are a lot of players that can rip apart a guitar solo in the middle of a song and you say, that shit didn't fit well with the song at all.

See, take Eddie Van Halen playing "eruption". Yeah he can play pretty good, however, the band has to stop in order for him to "play" his guitar. That defeats the fucking purpose to me. It's like he is saying, "watch this, I can move my fingers real fast on these chords. Watch how fast this shit goes." It's pointless. I have seen people do that on guitar hero. It's pointless to me and takes away from the point of playing a guitar.

I personally like a nice, smooth guitar solo. Something with feeling. It doesn't have to be slow or even bluesy, but it can't jump all over the place just because it can.

I know I will get made fun of, But Trey Anastacio from Phish is a damn good guitar player. And if you want to talk about sell-outs, he is the very opposite of sell out. This is a damn good song but long, he starts ripping at about 6:40 but this song builds from nothing at about 4:00 and is so bad ass...

Fucking bad ass. Plays with feeling. It's what it's about.

Eric Clapton is the same way. He plays with feeling. Makes his guitar sing. He really starts playing at about 5:30, but the whole song shows how he can play.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:41 PM »
I have been working on that post for a while because I have had some work to do in between posting and you tubing guitar players, however, I agree with Wes. Putt the criteria down for what you are basing your list on. Mine is simply the music. Not technique. Technique is worthless to me if it sounds like shit. This dude has good technique...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »
Without wasting all the space quoting him.....WHAT WE SAID^^^^

Which ultimately why K loves the Kisser.  Years ago, a local music store brought in one of Taylor Guitars reps to put on a show for about 50 of us crammed in this little place.  The guy played all his own stuff and played only with his fingernails, so much so that he kept them coated with an acrylic polish.  Each song had him tuning each guitar string to a totally different note and he would do stuff that absolutely made your jaw drop.  However...

when we left, a couple of us were talking about how that was really cool to watch but no way would I want to sit down and listen to it.  Several years later, I'm driving home from Montgomery late one night and I'm flipping channels just looking for obscure stuff to keep me awake.  One of those FM channels down in the 87.6 range has this show where the host has an in-studio guest playing guitar.  Yep, same Taylor rep.  The guy would fly into one of his crazy ass tunes and when he would finish, the host didn't even remotely try to hide it.

Yeeeaahhh....uuummmm...okay.  That was....different
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
Music is like religion and politics, you will never agree and you will always think differently from everyone else.  Snaggie likes Mayer and WE likes Dave Matthews, I don't care for either one of their acts, but will not say they aren't talented.  Kinda like I told Kaos with Ace, he doesn't do it for me, doesn't mean that he isn't good and has influenced others.

I can't stand Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young as people.  Liberal fruitcakes imo, didn't much care for their lyrics, but their music I like.  If you could take the vocals out of Ohio, then it would be a kick ass song.  It gets me going.

Speaking of burrbinz.....Snaggie, you must try some Eagle Rare.  Solid drink.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
Music is like religion and politics, you will never agree and you will always think differently from everyone else.  Snaggie likes Mayer and WE likes Dave Matthews, I don't care for either one of their acts, but will not say they aren't talented.  Kinda like I told Kaos with Ace, he doesn't do it for me, doesn't mean that he isn't good and has influenced others.

I can't stand Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young as people.  Liberal fruitcakes imo, didn't much care for their lyrics, but their music I like.  If you could take the vocals out of Ohio, then it would be a kick ass song.  It gets me going.

Eagle Rare? Haven't heard of it but I am more than willing to pour up a couple of fingers...with a SPLASH of Coke product.  :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
What Gene said about hiring Ace (heavily paraphrased):

Auditioned tons of guitarists.  Guys who were technically proficient, guys who could play thousands of notes.  But that's like a bunch of angry bees. Maybe that's what some people like, but it's not who we wanted to be. We were looking for a sound that fit, a style that made sense with what we were doing.  As soon as Ace plugged in and hit the first notes, we knew he was the guy. 

Ace isn't angry bees.  He fits.  And he's pretty good.  His guitar smokes and shoots fireworks.  The first to do that kind of stuff.  Do I care if he can't skibbeldy-bee-boop all over the place?  Nope.  I don't care for that. 

Same with singing.  I'm not impressed if you can hit 18 notes (Christina Aguilera, I'm talking to you) when one will suffice.  I want to hear the song, not your self-indulgent wailing.

John Mayer is a bleeding homo. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »

pwned by teh quote....... :)

I would say if you could imagine a taste between Makers and Makers 46 it would somehow be that.   Real smooth with a ever so slight but pleasing burn at the end.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »

What do you mean?  Nixon's coming, man!  That's some scary stuff!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
What do you mean?  Nixon's coming, man!  That's some scary stuff!

Gotta get down to it! Soldiers are cutting us down!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »
Gotta get down to it! Soldiers are cutting us down!

Saban was there.  He was greatly affected by this. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions