Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

portlandia...tonight on ifc

chinook

portlandia...tonight on ifc
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »

comedy premiering tonight. 

The Pacific Northwest: the most tragically idealistic place on earth, where everything must have a greater good, even if it makes your life hell. It’s with a bit of that mentality—and a lot of love—that Fred Armisen (of SNL) and Carrie Brownstein (of now-defunct Portland rock band Sleater-Kinney) introduce America to the absurdity of Portland, Ore.: one of the most educated, environmentally-friendly and, of course, whitest cities around, where flannel will always be in fashion, and guerrilla knitting is the sport of choice. With impeccable accuracy, their new comedy series, Portlandia—which premieres on IFC this week (and is coproduced with Jonathan Krisel)—makes humor out of all the quirks that make Portland, well, Portland: a ragingly-feminist independent bookstore, an organic farm where “free love” is harvested, a fair-trade restaurant where each animal on the menu has a name and bio. “I like to describe Portland as a city with a lot of self-esteem, filled with people with a lot of self-doubt,” says Brownstein. “Portland is a really kind place, with all kinds of people who will go to tyrannical lengths to show you how kind they are, to the point that it actually feels kind of mean. I think a lot of our characters are trying to navigate that.”

newsweekl ink...

newsweek

ifc link...

portlandia
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

Re: portlandia...tonight on ifc
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »
Bottom line...

Portlandia, for a Friday night airing, provides an option if nothing else is on the tube.  The show had it's moments.  Outsiders watching this show will just re-confirm the stereotypes the show highlights.  For the PNW viewers it just re-confirms your life.

The show's opening was very catchy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
Bottom line...

Portlandia, for a Friday night airing, provides an option if nothing else is on the tube.  The show had it's moments.  Outsiders watching this show will just re-confirm the stereotypes the show highlights.  For the PNW viewers it just re-confirms your life.

The show's opening was very catchy.

I DVR'ed it. I think Fred Armison his hilarious. I'm one of the few that admit to liking the present incarnation of SNL, and he's a big part of that. I saw where he came on Morning Joe promoting it, and set my DVR.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
2nd Episode airing tonight. 

7:30 PST.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
The second show was a little bit of a let down. 

Of the "parody-skits" only 2 really nailed the city of Portland...The Biker and The Leashed Dog.  The Leashed Dog was a bit over-the-top and could have been shortened greatly.  The  Biker was spot on.  The remaining skits were o-kay and bit of a stretch.

I need to visit more locally owned shops in Portland.  I just don't get those skits.  I've never came across anything like the show is depicting.   

CACAO! WTF...It was absolutely distasteful.  The Mayor's Office...just okay.

I'll give it another try. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
One word after the third episode...