Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

WTF Does This Mean?

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
Re: WTF Does This Mean?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
# Feb. 22, 1892: The first game was played at Lakeview Baseball Park in Birmingham in front of 226 Auburn fans and 220 Alabama fans. Auburn's 32-22 victory was front page news in the Birmingham Age-Herald.

# Nov. 30,1893: An evenly divided crowd witnessed Auburn's 40-16 rout over Alabama. Attendance was 3,000 at Montgomery's Riverside Park. Auburn scored seven touchdowns and received $350, while Alabama received $250.

# Nov. 29, 1894: The first upset of the series gave Alabama an 18-0 victory in front of 3,000 at Montgomery's Riverside Park.

# Nov. 23, 1895: Auburn won convincingly, 48-0 in Tuscaloosa, for first-year head coach John Heisman. Researchers have tried for years to find details from the game's lopsided score, but to no avail. Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and Montgomery newspapers had only brief accounts of the game with no details or statistics.

The Press-Register gave generous coverage to the Yale-Princeton and Penn-Harvard games but failed to mention even the score of the Auburn-Alabama game.

# Nov. 17, 1900: Auburn scored nine touchdowns in the 53-5 victory in Montgomery. It was the first time that season Auburn had scored at all.

# Nov. 15, 1901: Auburn's 17-0 win in Tuscaloosa prompted this Birmingham News headline: ``A Tiger Claws Alabama.'' It was only the second time the press had used the Tiger nickname to describe Auburn, and it was the first time the name was used for a game within the series.

# Oct. 18, 1902: Birmingham's West End Park was the site for the 23-0 Auburn victory. According to the weekly Tuscaloosa Times, both teams received $500 for playing the game.

# Oct. 23, 1903: The second upset of the series gave Alabama an 18-6 win at Montgomery's Highland Park. Auburn was favored 5-to-1 entering the game. The average weight of Alabama players was 148 pounds, compared to Auburn's 161-pound average.

Prior to the game, Auburn had scored 94 points and surrendered none. Alabama had scored none and surrendered 41. After the upset, Alabama coach W.B. Blount told The Montgomery Advertiser: ``I am free to confess that the result of the game was as much a surprise to me as anybody else ... The victory, I think, is the result of the indomitable spirit of the Alabama team. They came to Montgomery imbued with the determination to win, and win they did in signal fashion.''

Auburn coach Billy Bates said, ``There was absolutely no excuse for the repeated bucks of Tuscaloosa being so uniformly successful. True, five of our best men were out of the game, but even then Auburn should have won and I firmly believe that if the game were to be played over today, we would win 20 to 0. Of course, I am disappointed over the result of today's game, and I don't think there is an excuse for our losing it.''

Alabama finished that season 3-4. According to records, it was 48 years and numerous bowl games later before Alabama suffered another losing season, a period which spanned the inauguration of seven United States presidents, World War I, the Roaring Twenties, Prohibition and Repeal, the Great Depression, World War II, the Advent of the Atomic Age and the Korean War.

# Nov. 12, 1904: Auburn won 29-5 at West End Park in Birmingham, marking the first time Auburn had been scored upon that season. The Birmingham News reported that the game ``resulted in as fierce a game and struggle as was ever seen on the local gridiron.''

The 29-5 score was carried in all Alabama and Auburn records and today's Southeastern Conference Football Guide. Harvey Sartain scored Alabama's touchdown, but a discrepancy over the conversion has been disputed ever since. The Birmingham News reported the score 29-6.

# Nov. 18, 1905: A record crowd of 4,600 attended the Alabama 30-0 victory at Birmingham's West End Park. It was the biggest crowd to ever witness a football game in the city.

# Nov. 17, 1906: Alabama won 10-0 at the Birmingham Fair Grounds, but the game was played under protest. Auburn claimed Alabama left guard T.S. Sims was an illegal player. The protest was heard by the Southern Inter-Collegiate Athletic Association, but denied. Fans watched the game for just 75 cents per ticket. Box seats were an expensive $1 each.

# Nov. 16, 1907: The game ended in a 6-6 tie, a fitting score for the last game to be played between the two schools for the next 41 years.

AU wins:  1892, 1893, 1895, 1900, 1901, 1902, 1904

uat wins:  1894, 1903, 1905, 1906

tie:  1907

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:46:46 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »

So Auburn won the first 9, bamma got two in in 1905 & 1906, and then we tied the last game.

No, AU did not win the first 9 games....see above history.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
As to the broader overall meaning? 

Their great grandparents were braying jackholes, too.  It's the only tradition that school has.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
No, AU did not win the first 9 games....see above history.
I was using wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl

Someone changed 1894 & 1903 to 55-0 Auburn victories. What I didn't notice before is they didn't alter the win-loss record in the last column.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:53:08 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 12:47:27 PM »
# Nov. 23, 1895: Auburn won convincingly, 48-0 in Tuscaloosa, for first-year head coach John Heisman. Researchers have tried for years to find details from the game's lopsided score, but to no avail. Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and Montgomery newspapers had only brief accounts of the game with no details or statistics.

The Press-Register gave generous coverage to the Yale-Princeton and Penn-Harvard games but failed to mention even the score of the Auburn-Alabama game.
Not much has changed here either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »

Their great grandparents were braying jackholes, too.  It's the only tradition that school has.

I think that sums it up nicely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

Instilled at birth? Kind of like racism?  So therefore we can say, all bammers are racist towards Auburn
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum