Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Scarbinsky On Saban's Oversigning...

Scarbinsky On Saban's Oversigning...
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
Scarbinsky: Alabama's don't-tell policy hurts Saban's oversigning defense..   Reply
Published: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 7:13 AM
By Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

Nick Saban used a portion of his signing day press conference to defend himself on the issues of oversigning and grayshirting. Interesting.

Is he so misunderstood that he felt the need to tell his side of the story? Or was this the perfect example that the best defense is to go on the attack?

Oversigning has become as much a part of Saban's persona as talking with his hands. He's not the only one who does it. He's just more famous for it than any other college coach in the country.

I know. The well-meaning but ineffective SEC rule capping signing classes at 28, which has gone national, is known as the Houston Nutt rule. But Nutt doesn't use his extra signees to help win championships.

Saban does.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of Saban's oversigning soliloquy involved him telling us that we don't know what we're talking about. Literally.

"Nobody really knows how many guys we had on scholarship last year, but we didn't have 85," he said. "I can tell you that."

Allow me to translate. According to Saban, those of us on the outside of the Alabama program can't criticize him for oversigning because we don't know the exact number of players he has on scholarship from year to year.

Funny thing about that. Why don't we know? Alabama won't tell us, even though we ask every year.

Birmingham News colleague Jon Solomon requests a copy of the annual NCAA revenue and expense report from every Division I athletics department in the state. One of the categories on that report is number of student-athletes on scholarship in each varsity sport.

Every Division I public school in this state provides us a copy of those reports. Only Alabama blacks out the scholarship numbers for every sport.

We know from the latest form that Alabama reported spending $3,041,356 on football scholarships for the 2009-10 academic year. We don't know how many players Alabama reported having on scholarship that year.

The News has asked Alabama several times to explain why it withholds information we believe is a public record. The heart of the explanation, from university spokesperson Deborah Lane: "Federal privacy laws prevent the University from providing the media with personally identifiable information related to its students."

Excuse me, but what? The NCAA form doesn't include the names of players on scholarship. Just the numbers. Besides, if Alabama considers it a potential privacy violation to release the number of football players on scholarship, why does the school announce the names of its signees every year?

Alabama's argument is inconsistent with its own practice.

Saban took issue with the numbers used by the media, but his school refuses to provide the actual numbers that could - if they're on his side - undercut the argument from critics of his roster management.

Why does Alabama refuse to provide information that every other Division I public school in this state provides? Why doesn't Saban himself step up and share the numbers that other coaches volunteer?

On Signing Day, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald provided this information: "We have 85 scholarships, we had 17 to give and we're at 85 right now."

See? Is that so hard? Fitzgerald was open about his numbers even though Northwestern is a private school not bound by the same federal privacy laws as public schools.

The SEC may have left the Big Ten behind on the field - oversigning does work - but the Big Ten long ago took the high road when it comes to making Signing Day something to celebrate, not investigate.

If a Big Ten school oversigns, it has to explain to the conference office how it will have a scholarship available when those extra signees hit campus. Banking on a certain number of players to create their own exit strategies before fall camp doesn't cut it.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said he encourages parents of recruits to "go back and look at the numbers that schools sign. I do think it's telling."

That's a problem for Saban in trying to defend his signing practices. When it comes to the most basic information on the subject, Alabama's not telling.

There's not much incentive to change. As much as he dislikes recruiting rankings, Saban can point to another number as bottom-line justification. According to Rivals, he just signed, or oversigned, the No. 1 class in the country once again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Scarbinsky On Saban's Oversigning...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »
100% pure douchenozzle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
Pawl, whut do we gotta do to git him fard? He caint talk abowt Nick thataway. Ah'll hang up an lissen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
Pawl, whut do we gotta do to git him fard? He caint talk abowt Nick thataway. Ah'll hang up an lissen.

:classic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:59:44 PM »
SPuat still has move around 9 players to bring in their 23 prospects (LaMichael Fanning isn't going to qualify).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
SPuat still has move around 9 players to bring in their 23 prospects (LaMichael Fanning isn't going to qualify).
Carswell and Love are both greyshirts. So, make that 7. That is, IF we were at 85 last season. Which, supposedly, we ended up at 83 or 84.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
Carswell and Love are both greyshirts. So, make that 7. That is, IF we were at 85 last season. Which, supposedly, we ended up at 83 or 84.
Carswell and Love are gaining scholarships this year. They go towards the 85.  SPuat's bringing in 21 + the 2 Greyshirts this year = 23.  SPuat had 9 Scholarship SRs, 3 JRs left early, 2 players either transferred or Medical.  So, that leaves SPuat with 14 opening to somehow squeeze 23 players into.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
Carswell and Love are gaining scholarships this year. They go towards the 85.  SPuat's bringing in 21 + the 2 Greyshirts this year = 23.  SPuat had 9 Scholarship SRs, 3 JRs left early, 2 players either transferred or Medical.  So, that leaves SPuat with 14 opening to somehow squeeze 23 players into.

I call bullshit.  You cannot know more than Lord Saybinz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Token

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
One thing is certain.  Prowler knows his Bama football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »

Insert a Snagglepuss snicker here, hehehehehe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »
I keep up....it's kinda hard not to when 3-4 players go down with "injuries" and the medical staff is forced to lie to the NCAA about their injuries or forcing kids to leave school, after they're already on campus, just so another kid can come play.  I kinda see that as being a little fuckin' cocksucker that can't play by the same rules and that it isn't fair to the kids that believed all of the bullshit coming outta the fuckin' midget's face.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
I keep up....it's kinda hard not to when 3-4 players go down with "injuries" and the medical staff is forced to lie to the NCAA about their injuries or forcing kids to leave school, after they're already on campus, just so another kid can come play.  I kinda see that as being a little fuckin' cocksucker that can't play by the same rules and that it isn't fair to the kids that believed all of the bullshit coming outta the fuckin' midget's face.

So, you're saying you don't go to the bammer forums for yo info?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
Bama

2008: 32
2009: 27
2010: 26
2011: 22

Auburn

2008: 28
2009: 28
2010: 32
2011: 24

:haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »
Bama

2008: 32
2009: 27
2010: 26
2011: 22

Auburn

2008: 28
2009: 28
2010: 32
2011: 24

Auburn was down to 68 Scholarship players in '09. So, suck on that chicken fucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »
Auburn was down to 68 Scholarship players in '09. So, suck on that chicken fucker.
Actually this close to truth. I thought it was closer to 72 but whatever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 11:16:51 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:57 PM »

Oh, Token's in trouble meow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Token

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »
Oh, Token's in trouble meow.

The most appropriate response for me would have been to ask him WHY Auburn was down to 68 scholarships.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »
We were right at 71 before Harry Adams ('09), Tyrik Rollison (when Cam Newton stepped on campus) & Donte ManMeat (when Mike Dyer stepped foot on campus) all left the team. So yeah, you're correct simp, we were 70 strong for most of the '09 season. That's before the Seniors graduated and before Tyrik & ManMeat left.  CTT's recruiting efforts towards the end of his career might have well been the NCAA Hammer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »

You do realize that people like you are why Hitler was able to come into power and commit the atrocities that occurred during his rule, right?

News report: "He sent 500 to the concentration camps!"

R(eich)WS: He really only sent 130.  The other 370 were volunteers and told beforehand what their accomodations would be. IF we are talking about the last train out, supposedly there was a train two days before, but nobody saw the actual manifest.  I heard that 183 were on that train but they won't count against the total since you can cram three to a bunk if you don't feed them for five or six weeks. They don't much like to eat, so it's cool.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.