Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Taco Bell sued over claiming that their tacoes contain "beef"

Taco Bell sued over claiming that their tacoes contain "beef"
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »
Apparently it is only a beef type substance.  Of course the lawsuit is being filed from Alabama.  If they have to change the name of the meat I vote for "cow residue".

You'll have to pardon the puns, but...

Taco Bell might want to change it's "Think Outside the Bun" campaign to "What's Really in That Taco?" after a class-action lawsuit filed against the fast-food giant claimed its taco filler doesn't, um, "meat" federal standards.

The suit against the YUM-brands chain also has a "beef" with the company's advertising, charging its claims of using "seasoned ground beef" or "seasoned beef" in its food products is false.

According to the suit filed by the Alabama law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, the YUM-brands owned chain is using a meat mixture that contains binders and extenders, and does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as "beef.”

Attorney Dee Miles said the meat mixture contained just 35 percent beef, with the remaining 65 percent containing water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch.

The suit was filed on behalf of Taco Bell customer and California resident Amanda Obney, who is not seek monetary damages, but instead wants a court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising.

"We are asking that they stop saying that they are selling beef," Miles said.

Irvine, Calif.-based Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch said the company denies that its advertising is misleading and said the company would "vigorously defend the suit."

While the company does list its ingredients on its website — and indicates whether they are allergens — registered dietitian and Fox News contributor Tanya Zuckerbrot said the fillers could be a danger for some consumers.

“Wheat oats, soy lecithin and maltodrextrin are common allergens that are often added to processed foods as fillers because they are much less expensive than meat,” she said. “Aside from being misleading, this form of false advertising puts the consumer at risk as well.”

Zuckerbrot said according to the USDA, “ground beef can have seasonings, but no water, phosphates, extenders, or binders added.” The meat from Taco Bell does not meet the minimum requirements set by the USDA, she said.

“Rather than Taco Bell calling the meat ‘seasoned ground beef’ they should refer to it as ‘mixed meat’ and list the additional ingredients so consumers can know what they are putting into their mouths,” she said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/25/wheres-beef-taco-bell-sued-ingredients/#ixzz1C4p9QQ1D
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Taco Bell sued over claiming that their tacoes contain "beef"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
Yo quiero Taco Smell
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
When they gonna hit McDonalds?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
Wait.  You telling me there was supposed to be meat in the taco's?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Token

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
When they gonna hit McDonalds?

McDonald's can't take anymore.  The dollar menu was spawned by the "super-size me" and "holy fucking shit, that coffee scalded my taint" incidents. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Is this really so terrible? The beef is "watered down" by soy, wheat oats, water, and maltodextrin?

The only thing of those that is not technically BETTER FOR YOU than beef is the maltodextrin. But it ain't poison.

From what I gather, it's about as unhealthy as Splenda or the malt in your beer.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-maltodextrin.htm

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-maltodextrin-unsafe.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:02:03 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »
Beasley Allen...dare I say more?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:05:35 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »
I will continue to eat there and it will still be tasty.  I will also continue to tell myself that it's beef.  I knew it was more than likely soy or something, but I don't want someone else telling me that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
I will continue to eat there and it will still be tasty.  I will also continue to tell myself that it's beef.  I knew it was more than likely soy or something, but I don't want someone else telling me that.

Thak god its not soy...Soy will give you man teets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
Thak god its not soy...Soy will give you man teets.

"Food makes me sick"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
"Food makes me sick"
Eggzactly...I prefer to drink my meals.  Preferably through a seat cushion.

and I will say this about the bell, it'll make a turd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
Eggzactly...I prefer to drink my meals.  Preferably through a seat cushion.

and I will say this about the bell, it'll make a turd.

You don't eat Taco Bell with the expectation of keeping the food in your stomach for any length of time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
You don't eat Taco Bell with the expectation of keeping the food in your stomach for any length of time.

And with the right amount of alcohol, it could go up or down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
And with the right amount of alcohol, it could go up or down.
Now knowing what the meat consists of perfectly explains why it goes so well with a night of heavy beer drinking. It's basically meat-flavored beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:21:53 PM »
Next thing you know someone is going to sue Arby's for claiming that nasty orange shit they slather on everything is not actually cheese.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
Only thing here, is that the USDA actually has a definition of what you can "advertise" as beef. Thats the complaint - false advertising. Not sure what her motive is. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Also worth noting is that she is seeking no damages or money. She simply wants the false advertising gone. Kind of a weird deal all the way around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »
Only thing here, is that the USDA actually has a definition of what you can "advertise" as beef. Thats the complaint - false advertising. Not sure what her motive is. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Also worth noting is that she is seeking no damages or money. She simply wants the false advertising gone. Kind of a weird deal all the way around.

However, the lawyers sponsoring her will petition the court for their expenses in the class action - and they will get money from Taco Bell.  I am not sure how that works, but I am sure one of the esteemed barristers on here will educate us.  I just remember reading of one case in which the plaintiff won $1 in damages but the attorneys made GWAZILLIONS in "expenses".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »

Maybe she owns cows and wants taco bell to buy 65% more of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
However, the lawyers sponsoring her will petition the court for their expenses in the class action - and they will get money from Taco Bell.  I am not sure how that works, but I am sure one of the esteemed barristers on here will educate us.  I just remember reading of one case in which the plaintiff won $1 in damages but the attorneys made GWAZILLIONS in "expenses".

These people care. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
Read today that Yo Quiero plans to countersue...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions