Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2011 - Official Auburn Baseball Thread...

chinook

2011 - Official Auburn Baseball Thread...
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Well...can we add a College World Series Trophy to the mantle? 

AU team looks to repeat as SEC West Champs...

AUBURN, Ala. - Coming off one of the most successful seasons on record, which included hosting a NCAA Regional and winning a division title, Auburn has been picked to repeat as the Southeastern Conference's Western Division Champion in the Rivals.com 2011 SEC Preview.

According to lead college baseball writer Kendall Rogers, Auburn, which went 43-21, 20-10 SEC last year, joins LSU as the headliners in the SEC West and the two are included in his five safe bets for playing in the postseason this year, along with SEC East teams Florida, Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

Senior Tony Caldwell is the catcher on the all-conference team after hitting .349 with eight doubles, 10 home runs and 41 RBI while splitting time between the outfield and behind the plate last year.

Auburn begins its season on Friday, Feb. 18 when it plays host to Arkansas State at 6pm as part of an opening weekend tournament at Plainsman Park.

Spring practice begins on Friday, Jan. 28.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:55:07 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

Re: 2011 - Official Auburn Baseball Thread...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
T.V. appearances...

AUBURN, Ala. - The Auburn baseball team has had its game at South Carolina on Sunday, May 1 added to the ESPN television schedule, the network and the Southeastern Conference office announced on Thursday. Already scheduled to be a part of the ESPNU's Thursday Night SEC Baseball Game of the Week when it plays host to Ole Miss, the game at South Carolina is the only one of the 18 televised league games by the ESPN family of networks to appear on the flagship station. The game time has also been changed to a 3pm ET start.

ESPNU's previously announced inaugural Thursday Night SEC Baseball Game of the Week will begin Thursday, Apr. 7 and run seven weeks through May 19. In addition to the Thursday night games, SEC baseball will have 11 other games, including the SEC Championship on Sunday, May 29 on ESPN2.

Auburn could possibly pick up a third ESPN game as the network has put a SEC Wildcard in place for Friday, May 13 on ESPNU, which coincided with Auburn's home series against Alabama.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:44:02 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:26 PM »
Schedule comments...

The defending Southeastern Conference Western Division champion Auburn baseball team will play 26 games against teams that made the 2010 NCAA Tournament as the team released the 2011 schedule on Thursday. Auburn will play a total of 33 games at home, beginning with the season-opener against Arkansas State on Friday, Feb. 18 at 6pm.

The opener is a part of the Auburn Tournament, which in its second season will also include Virginia from the Atlantic Coast Conference and UAB from Conference USA, which were both top-five conferences in 2010 according to WarrenNolan.com.

Auburn will also play in a pre-conference tournament at the College of Charleston the weekend of March 4-6 before playing host to College World Series participant Arizona State from March 11-13 at Plainsman Park.

"The 2011 schedule presents a great challenge to this young team as we prepare for another quest to make the SEC Tournament and post-season play," Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "We host a tough preseason tournament and we have a return trip from Arizona State which should pose big challenges for the 17 new faces on our team as we head into the rigors of the SEC schedule."

The SEC slate begins on March 18 with Arkansas visiting Plainsman Park. Of the five SEC teams that heads to Auburn this season, four of them played in last season's NCAA Tournament in Arkansas, Vanderbilt (April 1-3), Ole Miss (April 22-24) and Alabama (May 13-15). The other conference foe to head to the Plains is Georgia (May 6-8).

Auburn will play at Mississippi State (March 25-27), at Kentucky (April 8-10), at LSU (April 15-17), at defending National Champion South Carolina (April 29-May 1) and at Tennessee (May 19-21) in conference play.

Midweek home-and-homes are scheduled with Jacksonville State (Feb. 22 and Mar. 22), Troy (Mar. 29 and Apr. 5), South Alabama (Apr. 20 and May 17) and Samford (Apr. 26 and May 10), with the first game of each series being played at Plainsman Park and the second on the road.

The third annual Capital City Classic takes place on Tuesday, March 15 at Montgomery's Riverwalk Stadium. Auburn has defeated Alabama in each of the first two Classics.

The 2011 SEC Tournament returns to Hoover May 25-29 and NCAA Regionals begin on June 2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
Well the marketing and AD has high hopes.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
AU up 12-5 over Arkansas State in the bottom of the 8th.  Looks like a nice opening day win for the Tigahs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »
Yay!  The way this week has gone, I fully expected to read about Auburn losing by 10+ runs...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
Auburn got "smoked" 13 - 2 by Virginia.  Sounds like a sell out crowd on a gorgeous day on the plains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
Yay!  The way this week has gone, I fully expected to read about Auburn losing by 10+ runs...

Did you read the interwebs saturday night?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »
Did you read the interwebs saturday night?

Nope, so it didn't happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
Auburn got "smoked" 13 - 2 by Virginia.  Sounds like a sell out crowd on a gorgeous day on the plains.

And I have to wear a UVA shirt to work tomorrow because of it, too. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
6-0 win against UAB Sunday gets the Tiggers back on track. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
6-0 win against UAB Sunday gets the Tiggers back on track.

Series WIN!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
A 9-4 win over Jacksonville State puts the real Tigahs at 3-1.  Radford comes in for 3 this weekend.  They currently sit at 2-1 with two wins over Army and a loss in their last game to Davidson.  Have no idea what that means but hopefully, the assumption that Auburn is the better program will turn out to be true.  It looks that way with the next 5 games AU plays.  It'd be nice to get on a roll before Memphis and Arizona State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
A 9-4 win over Jacksonville State puts the real Tigahs at 3-1.  Radford comes in for 3 this weekend.  They currently sit at 2-1 with two wins over Army and a loss in their last game to Davidson.  Have no idea what that means but hopefully, the assumption that Auburn is the better program will turn out to be true.  It looks that way with the next 5 games AU plays.  It'd be nice to get on a roll before Memphis and Arizona State.

Arizona State still has a team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
Okay....so much for the series sweep of mighty Radford.  Tigers lose the first one in extras.  6-8.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 01:29:55 AM »
Okay...screw it. I'll update it.  AUBURN wins the second game of the series...3-2. 

Tiggers now 4-2 on the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
Derek Varnadore pitches a complete game shutout and the Tigers win the series with a 2-0 win on Sunday afternoon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
Justin Bryant is probably out for the year.  That sucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
Auburn loses to Bethune-Cookman.  Bethune-Cookman????  So far, we have losses to Radford and Bethune-Cookman.

What is a Bethune-Cookman anyway?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Back on track with a 9-2 win over mighty BC. Not Boston College.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions