Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

CFN Mocks Chizik's God References

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
CFN Mocks Chizik's God References
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
Oregon never had a chance against Auburn.

It wasn’t that Cam Newton led an offense that turned out to be more powerful and more resourceful. It wasn’t that the Tiger defensive front was too quick on the outside and too tough up the middle for the Duck running game. It wasn’t that the Auburn offensive line was able to take control in crunch time, Wes Byrum’s ability in the clutch, or Gus Malzahn and the Tiger assistants’ adjustments on the fly.

No, Oregon never had a chance in your 2011 BCS Championship because God wanted Auburn to win.

At least that’s what Gene Chizik wants you to believe.

“Thank God for being a part of the Auburn family,” was just one of the religious references Chizik, Cam “God is using me as an instrument” Newton, and others threw out there as a big part of the reason for the team’s success. Let’s say they’re right and God actually wanted the Auburn Tigers to win the national title.

If Chizik is on the mark, then Iowa State fans have a serious beef. Apparently, God had no interest whatsoever in making the Cyclones competitive under Chizik’s watch, but He managed to steer Newton to Auburn, hired Malzahn, made the NCAA rule decoders all goofy, and turned Nick Fairley into Reggie White. He also made sure the SEC East was miserable, Alabama was in a rebuilding year, and LSU, Arkansas, and Mississippi State had just enough flaws so the veteran Auburn team could ride Newton into glory.

Of course, that also means that God disapproves of the Oregon Ducks. Phil Knight, you want to create your false idols in Jordan, LeBron, and Tiger? Welcome to His vengeance embodied in the power running game of Michael Dyer – how else do you explain the wrist apparently not equaling a knee?

Of course, this also means that God wasn’t a part of the Auburn family under Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville, “Shug” Jordan, or even John Heisman - yes, that Heisman – as He deemed Chizik the one worthy of leading the football program to the greatest season in school history.

Of course, this also means that God wasn’t with TCU, a school that has the word Christian in its name, when it came to getting a shot at the BCS Championship. A team name might be a problem, though, as the Wake Forest Demon Deacons and the Duke Blue Devils were awful.

God wasn’t with Notre Dame, especially not off the field, until the second half of the year. He certainly wasn’t with the Jesuits of Boston College in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl against Nevada, and He doesn't appear to be with the poor, starving people who forced the good people of Kraft to provide the bowl season its goofiest name.

It does a disservice to the hours and hours of long, hard work that each and every Auburn player and coach put in to get to this point to assume that God was why the Tigers had the season they did. To credit God puts down Oregon, Alabama, and 117 other college football programs, glosses over the all-timer of all-timer breaks from the NCAA, and worst of all, it insults God by assuming sides were taken.

If Auburn finishes fifth in the SEC West in 2011, does that mean God left the Auburn family? Yeah, and there’s a good chance he’ll be the first quarterback taken in April's NFL Draft.

And while we’re at it, Gene, Iowa State is allowed to file a grievance when it comes to your “Auburn fans are the best in the world” stuff. Apparently, Gene, you have no clue how well Cyclone fans travel, mainly because you did such a miserable job at ISU that you couldn’t get them to a bowl. It’s easy, Gene, for fans to want to storm the building for a BCS Championship, but Iowa State fans would rock the house of the BBVA Compass, the Little Caesars Pizza, or the Military Bowl Presented by Northrup Grumman.

You know who has the best fans in the world, Gene? Anyone who gets season tickets for Vanderbilt, Kent State, San Jose State, North Texas, or any number of other programs that stink every year, have no prayer of ever being in the national title hunt, and apparently, don't have God in the family photo album.

My reply...

Dear Pete,

By saying “Thank God for being a part of the Auburn family,” Gene Chizik was not implying that God Himself was a part of the Auburn Family.  He meant that we, the Auburn Family, should thank God that we as individuals are part of the Auburn Family.  And I do.  Every day.  I would not choose to be a fan of any other school in the nation.  I will be an Auburn fan forever and nothing will change that.  Considering my formative years as an Auburn woman were during the Barfield era, I have more than proven my commitment to this university.

I guess it's how you read it - at the very least, it is understanding the point of emphasis in a sentence.I realize that this interpretation is not as much fun for you to write about, but considering the emotion Coach Chiz was feeling when he made the statement, it is easy to see why it was not as clear in its meaning as it should have been.

Having a strong Christian emphasis in the locker room is nothing new to Auburn - we have a team chaplain and the players themselves eevn hold voluntary bible studies.  Whether you are a Christian or not, one cannot deny the positive impact that an emphasis on character and values has had on our team - when was the last time you saw an Auburn player on a police blotter?  Not many major programs can say that. Oregon?  Iowa?  Ohio State? Oklahoma?  Nope.

Please remember that Auburn is located in the heart of the Deep South, the Bible Belt, if you will.  Mock it if you want to, and man, did you ever, but Coach Chizik and many of his assistants are men of strong faith, and we, the Auburn Family, are okay with that.  For a Southern mother of an athletic son being recruited by major college programs, knowing that the coaches are men of faith is a huge point in that school's favor.

As for your repeated "*******", let me ask you a question.  If the Auburn coaches and administration were worried about vacated wins or other hidden sins being exposed later on down the road, then why did not one single coach jump ship after the season, a la Pete Carroll?  Jeff Grimes, arguably the top OL coach in the nation, turned down a chance to return to his home state and coach for Mack Brown and Texas, this uber-program that just got its own tv network.  If there was concern at Auburn, wouldn't Grimes and Malzahn and the rest of our talented coaches have run like scalded dogs to other programs? But... but... they didn't.  They stayed.  That speaks VOLUMES to me.

Now, here's to next season!  But in the meantime...  War Damn National Champions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: CFN Mocks Chizik's God References
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
Good reply.  I read that this morning.  I used to like Fiutak's "Cavalcade of Whimsy" columns because they were humorous.  Now it's just one big snark fest of him bitching about pretty much everything college football related.  Which would be fine if it were funny, but it's just not anymore. 

I don't think I've even made it through the last two or three of his columns before I started looking for something else to read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
He's a sellout IMHO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
Hater's gonna hate...

Fuck 'em
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
He obviously is in banter mode. Whatever. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

But in the meantime...  War Damn National Champions.

^^^THIS!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
Oh and nice letter back TW...although I wouldn't waste my time replying to stupid people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »
Oh and nice letter back TW...although I wouldn't waste my time replying to stupid people.

I like Fiutak most of the time - more often than I do others of his ilk.  He is snarky without being cruel, and is generally spot on in calling out what he sees as a problem or an injustice or whathaveyou.  But sometimes he goes off the rails either trying to force something to be funny when it isn't, or kneejerk reacting to something before all the facts are known (as I lambasted him for in re: Cam)  He is still worthy of reading, for now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
Its a good thing Chizik is not the new Governor of Alabama because they're might be a few around here that has to jump ship. :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
Its a good thing Chizik is not the new Governor of Alabama because they're might be a few around here that has to jump ship. :poke:

SEC Coaches just do what they're told.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
People who support Bentley's comments don't know the difference between "there" and "they're".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
My reply...

Shortened version:

"You're going to hell." 

That's what I'd send him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »
People who support Bentley's comments don't know the difference between "there" and "they're".

And its funny that you be the one to respond. Was this a calling you out? Things happen when one modifies a post in midstream w/o proofreading. I'm sure that has never happened to you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »

Id rather mistype the occasional word than be incapable of simple arithmetic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 12:45:51 AM »
Id rather mistype the occasional word than be incapable of simple arithmetic.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions