Kiehl Frazier - USA Today National High School Offensive Player

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Kiehl Frazier - USA Today National High School Offensive Player
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:23 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2010-all-usa-football.htm

All-USA football: Frazier, Clowney named players of year

Kiehl Frazier of Shiloh Christian High School in Springdale, Ark., was named USA TODAY's All-USA offensive player of the year for 2010. Frazier threw for 2,975 yards and 42 touchdowns and ran for 1,164 yards and 22 touchdowns this season.

The All-USA high school football team was chosen by USA TODAY's Jim Halley in consultation with high school coaches and recruiting analysts, including Tom Lemming of CBS College Sports and Barry Every of Rivals.com.

The offensive player of the year is Kiehl Frazier, a quarterback at Shiloh Christian High School in Springdale, Ark.

The defensive player of the year is Jadaveon Clowney, a senior at South Pointe High School in Rock Hill, S.C.

The coach of the year is Lance Pogue, whose South Panola (Batesville, Miss.) team finished the season at No. 1 in the final rankings of USA TODAY's Super 25.

Offensive player of the year

KIEHL FRAZIER

Quarterback for Shiloh Christian, Springdale, Ark.

Height: 6-3; Weight: 215

Why him:  Led team to third consecutive 4A state title and was MVP of the title game for the third year in a row. Completed 63% of passes for 2,975 yards and 42 touchdowns. Also ran for 1,164 yards and 22 touchdowns. Had a 3.8 GPA going into his senior year.

Off the field:  Helped raise money for an orphanage in Haiti that was hit hard by an earthquake. "We raised money and sent it over there so that they could get their school back up and running and get their students back," Frazier said.

Following Cam Newton to Auburn:  "I really like the offense that Auburn uses because they use the quarterback in more than one way. You look at the success that Cam has and it will help me as quarterback because it shows me what I need to work on as well. I follow his situation really closely. If he leaves, I'm going to try to step in there and do the best I can."

Football beginnings:  "When I was in the third grade, my dad signed me up. I didn't know I was going to play. One day, he said, 'You have football practice today' and we went out and got some pads. Growing up, I played every sport. After the 10th grade, I stuck with football."

Favorite book:  "Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices and Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy. He gave you the tools you need to be in successful in football and in life."

Favorite teacher:  "My English teacher, Mr. Roy. It wasn't just writing papers. It was a really cool class. The books we read and how we discussed them really got us involved in the class."

Favorite musicians:  "I listen to Drake and Lil' Wayne a lot."

On his web page (kiehlfrazier15.com):  "My teammates will give me a hard time about it now and then, but mostly they like it."

Defensive player of the year

JADEVEON CLOWNEY

Defensive end for South Pointe, Rock Hill, S.C.

Height:  6-5; Weight:  235.

Why him: Considered the top recruit in the 2011 class, he combines rare speed (4.5 in the 40) with strength and size. Had five touchdowns on defense, 162 tackles, 29½ sacks, 29 tackles for loss, 11 caused fumbles and six fumbles recoveries. On offense, he had 20 carries for 274 yards and nine touchdowns. His team was 38-6 in the last three years. Showed he won't have trouble adjusting to next level by dominating talented athletes in the Shrine Bowl in Spartanburg, S.C., drawing five holding calls while making five tackles for loss, including three sacks in the game. He's undecided in his college choice.

Favorite musician:  (Atlanta rapper) TI

Best book you've read recently: Box Out (By John Coy)

Little-known fact: "I am an extremely sore loser...I hate to lose at anything."

High school highlight: "Winning the 2008 State Championship in football vs. Northwestern ... They are our crosstown rival ... We actually beat them twice that year. But beating them in the title game was awesome."

Favorite teacher: "Mr. Joe Koon ... My English 4 teacher. He is the smartest man I know. He is a great guy that enjoys helping kids learn."

Football start: "It's a family tradition."

Funniest recruiting story: "People (coaches) always telling me what they can do for me and they really don't even know me."

After football, I'll: "Go fishing with my granddad and spend time with family and friends."

Coach of the year

LANCE POGUE

South Panola, Batesville, Miss.

Family: Wife, Dixie, is a schoolteacher; son, Tyler, 12; daughter, Maleah, 7.

Why him: He is 58-2 with three state titles since coming to South Panola four years ago. His Tigers have won 27 in a row, including 28-7 vs. Meridian on Dec. 4 for the state 6A title.

SUPER 25: South Panola finishes season as No. 1 team
Background: Before South Panola, he was football coach and athletics director at Eupora., Miss. His 2002 Eupora team was the state 2A runner-up. The native of Eupora played football at Holmes Community College and got his bachelor's and master's degrees at Delta State in Cleveland, Miss.

Coaching philosophy: "You have to coach within your own personality. Sure, you steal ideas from other coaches, but in the end, you have to be yourself. We base our program on defense, especially stopping the running game. In the last 30 games, we've allowed a total of less than 1,000 yards on the ground. A great defensive team tends to lead to a blue-collar ethic."

Coaching influence: "I'm a football historian. I've always idolized Tom Landry. When I grew up, I loved the Cowboys. To me, he took those guys, all the different personalities, and always united a team. I never met him. I wish I had."

Favorite book: "The Junction Boys. I took a lot out of it. In our part of the country, Bear Bryant is still a big influence."

Career highlight: "I'm not an individualistic guy. All of my success has been as part of a team. Being named to coach the East team at the Army All-American game (Jan. 9 in San Antonio) was a big deal to me. Winning this award is unbelievable."

Still hope to pull both the offensive and defensive player of the year? I realize Clowney's probably going to either South Carolina or bammer, but it's a nice thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Kiehl Frazier - USA Today National High School Offensive Player
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
All I gotz to say is, DAMN! Can you imagine what this kid will be able to do under Malzahn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »
All I gotz to say is, DAMN! Can you imagine what this kid will be able to do under Malzahn.

I'm sure he would be great under Malzahn, but I'd LOVE to see him get at least one year with BOTH Cam and Malzahn.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
I'm sure he would be great under Malzahn, but I'd LOVE to see him get at least one year with BOTH Cam and Malzahn.

You got that right. Lets see if we can get a TigerX petition sent to Cam to stick around another year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
You got that right. Lets see if we can get a TigerX petition sent to Cam to stick around another year.
Tithe early and often.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »

Here's hoping he's as advertised, but after what I've seen this year on the field...it's going to be a good long time before I'm amazed by another player.   Been 25 years coming to the point where we could say we had a player that was in Bo's league as an athlete and player.  Cam is THAT good. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
Here's hoping he's as advertised, but after what I've seen this year on the field...it's going to be a good long time before I'm amazed by another player.   Been 25 years coming to the point where we could say we had a player that was in Bo's league as an athlete and player.  Cam is THAT good.

This is true, I though about this myself. Almost like a double-edged sword. You have an outstanding player like Cam come along every so often, but the mad part is that that player leaves at some point. But still, when is the last time Auburn recruited the AP HS Player of the year? Never.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »
This is true, I though about this myself. Almost like a double-edged sword. You have an outstanding player like Cam come along every so often, but the mad part is that that player leaves at some point. But still, when is the last time Auburn recruited the AP HS Player of the year? Never.

Hey, it's all good.  IMHO, you'll get far more good players from good recruits than you will find "diamonds in the rough".  My early trepidation of Cam was more than squashed...but Cam FAR exceeded ANYBODY'S expectations.  I just pray we can have a good stream of solid recruits that get the coaching they need to maximize their abilities. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »
Hey, it's all good.  IMHO, you'll get far more good players from good recruits than you will find "diamonds in the rough".  My early trepidation of Cam was more than squashed...but Cam FAR exceeded ANYBODY'S expectations.  I just pray we can have a good stream of solid recruits that get the coaching they need to maximize their abilities.

No doubt. Early speculation has Auburn in the top 10 again this year in cruiten, and some of these de-committing from other major programs for a spot in Auburn. I'm sure a good portion of that is contributed to this years success but the coaches have also proven last year they can recruit period. From the list the guys have been studying over on the kiddie board, I say this will be another fine year. A lot of those Frazier has been helping in recruiting. Its hard to really judge a young man by his HS success but #1 AP Player of da Year is pretty AUsome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
Tithe early and often.
It's called a reverse mortgage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

chinook

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »
Tithe early and often.

it is for the church.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »
We should get the band back together
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
We should get the band back together
Were on a mission from god.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
Were on a mission from god.

Four fried and a coke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."